from Carl Zeiss to G

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
(Let me edit this)
Do you think Sony will get away with it?
At first, Carl Zeiss lens was a +
Was a selling point.

Now their top end digital still (WX-1) and digital video models ( HDR-XR520V) have G lenses instead of Carl Zeiss lenses.
Their cheaper models (video -HDR-CX100) (still camera - DSC-W100) have CZ lenses.

And some like WX1 (current top Sony compact selling in Sing) even made in China instead of Japan.

You pay a lot and get a G lens instead of CZ. Maybe G lens is a legacy from their purchase/takeover of the Minolta range. (Minolta had some G lenses when it was still into cameras one or two decades ago).
You pay a lot and get Made in China instead of Made in Japan.

I was thinking, are Sony G lenses really better than CZ?

Maybe they think they can sell the idea to a new generation Y or Z.
Not so easy to convince Gen X who have used CZ, Schneider or Rodenstock.

Not using CZ lenses may mean less royalty or licence fee paid to CZ. Using G lenses may mean maximising the production facilities from the Minolta line.

hmm.....

If they succeed (maybe with great electronic features like auto-panorama, BIONZ engine, and good marketing) good for them.

If the consumer reacts like they did for APS (i.e. consumers reject this soundly and vote with their wallets), then would Sony be handing over the digital consumer compact market to Panasonic Lumix (current top models have Leica lenses and Made in Japan - lower entry level models with Leica lenses and Made in China) on a silver platter.

Sony just announced a slew of new models in January 2010 US CES show. Don't know if they will all be made in China and spot Sony G lenses.

Not sure how this will turn out. Wait and see.

Last edited:
Huh? What is the rumbling about?

Sony TX1 is using CZ for your info.

Well he meant that Sony is trying to shortchange the customers for what they paid for.

Even though the change might not be for the entire range, it might gradually affect all products (still and video camera) depending on Sony's committee decision.

So will you, as the consumer, pay more for inferior goods? :think:

Well he meant that Sony is trying to shortchange the customers for what they paid for.

Even though the change might not be for the entire range, it might gradually affect all products (still and video camera) depending on Sony's committee decision.

So will you, as the consumer, pay more for inferior goods? :think:

Sony TX1 is more expensive than Sony WX1. I don't think they classify it as inferior.

Still nothing but rumbling to me.

Sony TX1 is more expensive than Sony WX1. I don't think they classify it as inferior.

Still nothing but rumbling to me.

Have you ever considered that why you think it is rumbling has something to do with yourself? :bsmilie:

Anyway, I agree with TS on the camcorder thing, this was why I did not buy the XR520V.

G stands for what?

Sony is not wrong to down play zeiss.
Do you think the new generation will be bothered by the optical capabilities of a true zeiss since ithey are made in China as well?
Sony's forte is in selling a lifestyle, a brand name, ergonomics and acceptable performance.

The focus is on marketing, brand awareness, design and many other factors influencing the consumer decision.

Also, being G label lenses, it may not be necessary bad.
I am sure it has its own merits. But one thing for sure, it may not outlast a german zeiss due to product obsolence and perpectual need to upgrade with newer camera bodies..

The appeal is in the fun factors associated with modern equipment.
Even leica name is on panasonic point and shoot range.
Leica does not matter so much, but more so in the quality of the electronics to generate adjustment to a bad image and the beautiful looks of owning a lifestyle piece.

This is consumer behavior marketing. Its not about glass or make quality anymore. If it breaks down, throw and buy a new one. Simple and painless.

For pns camera, I don't think it makes a difference who makes the lens, the limit still lies within the camera itself, sensor and stuffs. Top grade lens with poor body can't give good results.

For every brand, there will be low and high grade products. Not possible for manufacturer to use top grade stuffs in a cheap camera. A good lens cost a few times more than a pns camera. To me it's just marketing for pns cameras and I don't care when choosing pns.

The good performer pns cameras are F200, S90 and LX3. Fuji and Canon didn't use CS or Leica. The only similarity between these 3 (different from other pns) is the sensor size and nothing to do with lens.

ricohflex, your question is brand specific. Why you post in kopitiam section? People who don't own Sony a-mount lenses won't know differences between CZ and G. Not sure brands like ie, Canon uses their quality L lens on their PnS range. Do they? I don't own other brands PnS except Panasonic Lumix with Leica lens b4.

I suggest u post in Sony section instead to get more relevant inputs, that's if your intent is to get answers and not just rumble. I see you've been around long enough to know this. So why wait?

Again we are encountering another camera brand specific thread in kopitiam section again, that might lead to another brand war if responses are provocative. Which leads to admin deleting the entire thread like one last week, even if some of the inputs are educational.

Last edited:
This is about business strategy, marketing manipulation of consumers and profit maximisation. Not about specific brand. Which is why posted in kopitiam and not in any particular brand thread. It is not about good or bad. People make moves to make more money, that is all. Verdict is not out. Wait few years to find out how consumers react.
Was told by salesman the T range seem to be MIJ.

(edit) at the lower range, i.e. if one does not pay too much for something, one might say no problem if MIC. ( I think that way about my 2nd hand Oly SP 350).
But once one pays a lot, say for top of the line products...one may think differently and prefer MIJ or MIG. Right?

Do you really not mind, if you paid a very large sum of money for a top end DSLR and it is MIC? Be honest in your heart of hearts. No need to tell us.

And, oh, it is not about brand wars. Many of us in CS are beyond that already. Anyway, some of use own both Sony and Pana-Lumix priducts, so it is definitely not about brand wars.

Last edited:
Seriously, what's with the Made in China vs Made in Japan thingy?

Even cars come from Thailand and China these days.

European cars also made in China...

Your thread kinda talking about Sony's Carl Zeiss and G glass, so isn't that kinda specifically talking about the Giant SONY Corp Camera Division?

You won't get much response from other brand users except maybe from some smart-a** to ridicule Sony. That can lead to ...... u know.....brand wars. I'm just informing in advance what it could lead to, not that it will. :confused:

Chill man.;p

Don't be so bothered what's their business strategy is. You well know you have the $$$$ power to decide which brand u want to invest your $$$$ in next. You don't like their cams or see no future investing in them so be it. There's a plethora of brands and models to check out.

Top-end DSLR MIC, yeah right. Doesn't bother me as long as IQ is as advertised. Anyway they had issues a while back with the assembly line making the CZ 16-80mm lens and decided to MIJ.

No need to rumble, I trust their G ratings for lens.

Last edited:
Hmm, should we be too bothered by this ? I've always suspected that the Leica/SchneiderKreuznach/Zeiss names on PnS and maybe even some low-level DSLR lenses are merely quality stamps and not origin badges (that means "made to the quality standards of" and not "made by"). Not all Pana/Samsung cameras have Leica/Schneider lenses, so I can't see why all Sony PnS must have Zeiss lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.