Frog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trumpf

Sep 3, 2005
www.lensamalaysia.com
Feel free to give your input how can I improve better. Thanks.
142868634_1f00709709_o.jpg

I think you can either use a tighter framing or cropping, as the background was quite distracting, to put focus on the frog. Try cropping to see the difference (you can have the stone-edge line running diagonally across your cropped image). Try it!

interesting picture. but somehow, i think the colour contrast is not there. the whole picture seems very "green", so maybe can put the frog against some background with different color?

i like it.. bu ti think would be better with the top part of the picture cropped out.

the whole picture seems very "green", so maybe can put the frog against some background with different color?

yea..agree abt the contrast not there.. very green..
however, i dun think he can change the background, coz i dun think he put the frog there lah. natural pose, natural environment i guess..
maybe can zoom closer to the froggie, if u r on zoom. or move SLOWLY closer and increase the bokeh... then u blur out the background.. then in PS, can maybe change the contrast of the background.. i not using PS, so i not sure abt tat... guess more bokeh wld be good..

my incompetent 1/2 cents worth.. :bsmilie:

Other than a tighter crop, You could try to move the shade (I assume leaves) above the frog so that sunlight hits the frog (saw some nice light below left of the frog). That would bring out good colours.

Of course, not sure if it was possible to move whatever's shading the frog...

Given the fact that the frog needs to camouflage itself for survival, it is understandable that its colour blends into the green surroundings and doesn't stand out as we would like for our eyes in photography.

Things I like in the original photo :
1) interesting main subject (the frog).

2) almost the whole frame is filled with subjects (i.e. fill the frame rule).

3) the generous space shows the surroundings in which the frog is in and therefore gives a perspective into its living condition and a sense of space. An otherwise very tight crop would have lost this message and concentrates on the frog only. It all depends on what message(s) you want to convey in the picture. If the threadstarter just wants viewers to see the frog and nothing else, then a tight crop would be appropriate.

4) the angle and height at which the frog was shot gives it a slightly more 3-D appearance (compared to the flat 2-D image you get shooting directly from the front or side at the same level as the frog) although it may not be a perfect angle and height for the best composition (angle and height are something which software editing can't solve).

Things I don't like :
1) the main subject (frog) blends too much with the background

2) the frog is facing almost horizontally and a little too near to the left edge. I would prefer it to face diagonally for it to appear more dynamic and be much closer to the right edge than the left edge so that it appears to be coming into the frame.

3) there are a few bright (highlights) uninteresting spots around in the frame to distract viewer's eyes away from the frog.

Given what has been shot, below is my version as I found that I can't place the frog any further away from the left edge to have enough space ahead of the frog if I want to place the frog'e eye near the rule of thirds intersection point of the frame (i.e. 1/3 from the bottom and from the right.) and at the same time, avoid any excessive negative space at the top. As a result, the frame is now of an odd size (i.e. not 3/2 relative). To achieve the composition I have in mind, it would require shooting from a slightly different angle and height from the original picture. Anyway, my photo editing isn't done to perfection as it's just to show roughly the idea I have in mind..

1428686341f00709709odbba16dy.jpg

For the frog to really come into the frame, here's an alernative with a much tighter crop given what has already been shot (If you need more generous space shown, then it would require shooting in horizontal frame and placing the frog's eyes at the rule of thirds intersection point of 1/3 from top and right and show more surroundings on the left) :

1428686341f00709709odbbab7qf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.