Frog on a branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengh

May 6, 2007
Florida
Was trying to take close-ups of the frogs in the aquarium, but didn't have much success as I was using my compact and I had to shoot through the glass. This one, though, turned out surprisingly well.

Would like to ask for comments on the composition for such a shot. eg should I have cropped tighter around the frog? If I were using a DSLR, should I use a shallower DOF?

DSC03393a.JPG

I think the whole photo might look better if its jus concentrate on the face ... and focus sharply on the eyes ... prob a pair of eyes will be better ...from another angle ... let the green on the body fades into the background

Composition wise not bad, yes DOF could be a bit shallower. However the biggest draw-back of the shot is its exposure. You have stated that it was shot in an Aquarium and hence i guess you are not in control of the light situation.
The back of the frog is too bright, in fact most of the hightlights are burned. The face of the frog however is a bit underexposed, so attention is drawn to the back and not to the eyes and face. I think you got to work on that.

Thanks bighead and Michael!

I think the whole photo might look better if its jus concentrate on the face ... and focus sharply on the eyes ... prob a pair of eyes will be better ...from another angle ... let the green on the body fades into the background

Hmm.... I think I can picture in my head how this shot would look.... yes I believe that would work.

Composition wise not bad, yes DOF could be a bit shallower. However the biggest draw-back of the shot is its exposure. You have stated that it was shot in an Aquarium and hence i guess you are not in control of the light situation.
The back of the frog is too bright, in fact most of the hightlights are burned. The face of the frog however is a bit underexposed, so attention is drawn to the back and not to the eyes and face. I think you got to work on that.

Haha, does that mean I would need to use some external lighting to brighten up the frog's face? I'm not sure if the flash would have worked well through the glass. I totally agree that the exposure leaves much to be desired.... will take note for future shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.