Friends wanting to borrow your camera..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
What are your opinions on this? I've never owned a really expensive camera before until I bought my D70 recently, and now a friend wants to borrow it to take his friends wedding photos (I don't know this person).. I'm not too thrilled at the thought of lending my camera to ANYONE, but hey, its just a camera right? :dunno: Am I being too possessive over the camera or what? Would YOU lend your camera to friends? :think:

Hmmm.... I guess it depends.... For people who knows photography, like SniperD (yes, he does borrow camera!!!), then it's not a problem... But if someone whom I have no idea if the person knows and are careful in handling cameras, well... I have to think... Then again, my cam is just FM2 (with 50mm), not so expensive lah....

suggest go together with him if u feel unsafe

sometimes lend to stranger is a calculated risk

if nothing goes wrong then u gain one more friend =)

I would reject nicely. Accidents do happen, even though you know everything about cameras. It's not being possessive, but it's not so nice to lose a friendship just because of a spoilt camera.

Gymrat76 said:
What are your opinions on this? I've never owned a really expensive camera before until I bought my D70 recently, and now a friend wants to borrow it to take his friends wedding photos (I don't know this person).. I'm not too thrilled at the thought of lending my camera to ANYONE, but hey, its just a camera right? :dunno: Am I being too possessive over the camera or what? Would YOU lend your camera to friends? :think:

i get what you mean ... depends on how much you trust and how close you are to your friend, if he/she do cause damage to your camera (touchwood) just ask for payment without delay, no need to feel embarrassed (if he/she is a worthy friend he/she will be more than willing to pay) but when you lend it to your friend just signal to them that the camera is a very valuable possession to you, explicitly or implicitly, as long as your friend gets the idea ... afterall should not let the camera affect your friendships

Gymrat76 said:
I believe you should go with how you feel, no need to rationalise it by wondering how good a friend he/she is, whether the person is responsible to compensate for loss/damage etc. From your post, you definitely don't feel comfortable, for whatever reason, and that should be your biggest clue, so just say no. It is, after all, your camera.

neither a borrower nor a lender be...

Well, this friend could certainly compensate me if something should happen to it, and he's been into photography for a number of years also. However, I just don't want to set a precedent, next other friends will also come and ask to borrow then how? :dunno:

Anyway, I told him sorry, but no. He's in Malaysia, I'm in Singapore. Passing him the camera and getting it back will take a while as I don't go back to KL very often, so if I do lend it to him I'll be without a camera for quite long, not like he can just drive over to pass it back :bsmilie:

Thanks for your thoughts on this though

Depends on how well you know the person... and if u know he/she had SLR handling experience... ... ...

Anyhow, I guess the basic still boils down to how well you know tat fella.

most ppbly won't...who noes the camera might breaks down only after he had returned to you maybe a week later? don't think the borrower will wants to be responsible liao... :dunno:

Virgo said:
I would reject nicely. Accidents do happen, even though you know everything about cameras. It's not being possessive, but it's not so nice to lose a friendship just because of a spoilt camera.

I can't agree more, but again, it is still subjected to the person who is asking.

Virgo said:

Bingo. Now even if the friend said he took perfect care of the camera, what if the camera started to malfunction after he returned it ? This is a completely possible scenario. You wouldn't know if it's your own fault that you got a lemon, or your friend did something to it accidentally. You will feel a nagging sense of regret over your precious new camera. Why strain a friendship over a camera. Just tell him no politely. After all, "neither a lender nor borrower be" is a good policy.

just tell him that u want to use as this is ur only 1 camera.

I loan a camera to a friend once. He say he would return it within one week. A month pass and I insiste he gave it back to me. I have to go and collect it from his place. When I got is back the camera was dead. He did not mention it to me. I only know it when I am at home. I asked him and he said that it was ok and nothing was wrong with it. I had to repair it myself. Now even if cry tears of blood I will not lend it to him.

I loan a camera to my cousin. He knows photography. When I got back the camera there was a scratch. How do you repair a scratch? How much do you ask him to pay. We grew up together. So I just kept quiet about it.

From the 2 scenerios above I would suggest you say NO in a very nice way like saying you are using it for a shoot or outing. This way friendship is preserved and you are happy.

Never lend unless you are prepared to test the friendship. If anything is damaged, will you

1)forget about it.. friendship more impt?
2)insist he pays and be sour if he doesnt.. friendship take second place?
3)he pays up willingly and the friendship continues?

always live within your means and use what you can. Never borrow, never lend unless you are prepared to live with the consequences.

Luckily u've rejected him...:)

Just recently i lent my 10D + L lens to one of my close fren (who know nuts about camera)...Initially i tried to reject him, but since he kept pestering, then I lent him as a gesture of goodwill...

When he returned me, i discovered a few deep scratches near the back LCD, almost 1mm deep...it must have been knocked very hard somehow...;( Altho these equipments can withstand abuse, still...

Heartpain...:cry:
But I can't really sure also whether I accidently knocked it myself or my fren did it...:mad2: Wat can I do?

So NEVER ever lent to anyone or even borrow from someone else...:nono:

zaren said:
neither a borrower nor a lender be...

to me this is the best policy.
If one does not want to lend then do no borrow as well.
Once I loan my pride and joy of a camera to a longtime friend who 'needed' it desperately for an overseas trip supposedly for a month.....it never came back..that's another story :cry:
The only time now anyone can lend my equiptment is when I am around with them.

I wouldn't borrow my camera to anyone expect some people that I know of. These people have to be my good friend or close friend or something and I have to know how they handle things. If someone that I don't know and said wanna borrow camera, I would just reject nicely and if he is unhappy, i will just laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.