Friends wanting to borrow your camera..

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, I will not lend my camera to anyone, apart from family and girlfriend. Even so, there will be a lot of things to teach before the camera is handed over. For friends, it is not I don't trust them, but as what you guys had said, if something screws up, who will be answering for it.

If something major screws up, maybe can ask for compensation, but also funny. If it's a minor scratch, you also dont dare to accuse him that he did it. That is worse. I cannot imagine my camera having light scratches after lending to someone.

OT a bit which I think is far ridiculous than lending a cam... recently, my friend asked me what mod chip my PS2 was. When I told him a DM3 chip, he wanted to use his PS2 set to exchange with mine. Initially, I thought it was for a few days only. But as a matter of fact, he wanted a permanent exchange.

I rejected him, saying it makes no sense - 1) My set is only about 2 months old and 2) I paid 100 dollars more for a DM3 chip. His set was about 2 years already and having a older chip set.

I just wonder why he did not thought of such things, and actually asked if can exchange between the 2 sets or not.

Haha, its like a guy owning a D70 with its backfocus calibrated already, while mine is a older D70 with backfocus problem. And I asked that guy if I can exchange my cam with his, when I have the option of (calibrating at Nikon be it FOC or at a cost). Though both are D70, it makes no sense at all...

Just some thoughts...

ouch, all the painful scenarios that go thru my paranoid head :)

i would probably lend my d70 to my brother-in-law, he has a huge collection of cameras and lenses that are old (> 15 years) and in excellent condition, even then, he'd get a long list of don'ts :D my general rule for anyone else is, if i know them, i point out that the d70+24-120VR cost me nearly $3k, that stops them from even wanting to play with it in front of me. (my friends know i don't lend my toys anyways) if it's someone i don't know very well, they get a big fat NO. as for lending it across long distances, that's a NOOOOOOO. way too risky.

hmm... quite a lot of horror stories here.

I don't usually lend my equipment out except to photographers who knows how to handle them. And that would include know how to use them as well as transporting them with proper protection.

Now and then, there's a few "accidents", but so far nothing major.

But if I need anything in return from my friends, I'm sure they'll oblige too.

Cheers,

the day i brought my D70, the same day i pass it to a friend for checking and testing before i took over abt a week later.
i think it is abt trust and friendship lah. anyway i will be lending him my D70 again as a back up for his assigment soon. :D

If a newbie friend wants to borrow a camera, I'd give them the heaviest bl**dy Nikon F4 with motordrive and 80-200/2.8 lens combo and they will die trying to carry it. After lifting it, they will give it back to you immediately.

sriram said:
If a newbie friend wants to borrow a camera, I'd give them the heaviest bl**dy Nikon F4 with motordrive and 80-200/2.8 lens combo and they will die trying to carry it. After lifting it, they will give it back to you immediately.

Too light :devil:

Give em an F2M with a 300/2 and dual Metz CT-60s with metz flash extenders ... now that's a heavy bit of kit ;p

naviseal said:
the day i brought my D70, the same day i pass it to a friend for checking and testing before i took over abt a week later.
i think it is abt trust and friendship lah. anyway i will be lending him my D70 again as a back up for his assigment soon. :D

well if he know's how to handle it, what's the problem?
:bsmilie:

It's probably make sense to reject to a stranger

but once u start rejecting ur friends' requests , chances are u'll get rejected as well

Status
Not open for further replies.