Friends wanting to borrow your camera..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gymrat76 said:
What are your opinions on this? I've never owned a really expensive camera before until I bought my D70 recently, and now a friend wants to borrow it to take his friends wedding photos (I don't know this person).. I'm not too thrilled at the thought of lending my camera to ANYONE, but hey, its just a camera right? :dunno: Am I being too possessive over the camera or what? Would YOU lend your camera to friends? :think:

Tell the truth then. No= the end of problem. :D

Well like in the army, your rifle is your wife, is your girlfriend and also your lover. Same goes for your camera too. :sweatsm:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Gymrat76 said:
What are your opinions on this? I've never owned a really expensive camera before until I bought my D70 recently, and now a friend wants to borrow it to take his friends wedding photos (I don't know this person).. I'm not too thrilled at the thought of lending my camera to ANYONE, but hey, its just a camera right? :dunno: Am I being too possessive over the camera or what? Would YOU lend your camera to friends? :think:

well its up to u but for me... i will only lend the camera to my close frens/buddies... if the person who is borrowing the camera from u is not veri close to u, i think u better not... it wun make u a self fish person becos the camera is yours n its your choice of lending or not lending... :)

as u hav said above, (I don't know this person).. so think u better not... :)

Gymrat76 said:
Well, this friend could certainly compensate me if something should happen to it, and he's been into photography for a number of years also. However, I just don't want to set a precedent, next other friends will also come and ask to borrow then how? :dunno:

Anyway, I told him sorry, but no. He's in Malaysia, I'm in Singapore. Passing him the camera and getting it back will take a while as I don't go back to KL very often, so if I do lend it to him I'll be without a camera for quite long, not like he can just drive over to pass it back :bsmilie:

Thanks for your thoughts on this though

I'm glad you reject him.

A while ago a friend asked to borrow my SLR. I hesitated, but he said he'll pay me if he damaged it. Guess what? my SLR came back with lots of scratches on the back of the body. He must have sling the SLR over his neck and the camera rested nicely on his belt's buckle, hence when he walk he scratch it again and again. I didn't persue the matter, just swallow the pain. :( Just didn't want to go and prove to him he did it.

but if my brother ask to borrow, I will lend him.

lend to people whom i know.. who take care of their equipment =)

Lend only when prepared you are to lose the equipment.

henavs, shutterbug... OUCH! really... ur poor cams.

i always believe in treating your equip well enuf so that they will perform for you. this mentality might be absent for some who borrowed cams from others, simply becos it is not their's to begin with. at most, they wull say sorry n look apologetically.. n that's the end of the story. of cos you wouldn't want to lose a fren over this issue, n this applies to both expensive DSLRs or any other "cheaper" cams which you regard as priced possessions. but, your poor cam suffers.

im have a couple of film cams, but they are not really a complete substitute or backup for each other - their different lenses n functions. i oni lend to ppl whom i trust (as some has said). if they come back in a beaten state, then i can oni say that some accident muz hav happened n i accept that fact. but if possible, i will get a backup cam, for loaning purposes as well, if i hav extra cash.

juz my opinion...

i loaned my manual slr to my relative a couple of times before...took some time before i got it back and both times lenses came back with fungus. so sad. though it was not my main cam, still so sayang.

so make sure whoever you loan your cam to has knows how to take care of it and has proper storage facilities.

clive said:
suggest go together with him if u feel unsafe

sometimes lend to stranger is a calculated risk

if nothing goes wrong then u gain one more friend =)

"Better to lose a freind than a D70" said a wise man.

Or you can ask "your friend" to pay a deposit to the value of your D70 before lending.

"Better be careful than be sorry." Said another wise man.

To lend or not to lend is not the question; the question is: are you prepared for the consequences if anything happens?

Are you ready to pay for any damage to the borrowed item if there's one?
Are you ready to accept a non-committed return of a damaged item?

If you borrow, take damn good care of it, every bit of it.
If you lend, take every precautions and make sure you are very familiar with that person you are lending.

SniperD said:
To lend or not to lend is not the question; the question is: are you prepared for the consequences if anything happens?

Are you ready to pay for any damage to the borrowed item if there's one?
Are you ready to accept a non-committed return of a damaged item?

If you borrow, take damn good care of it, every bit of it.
If you lend, take every precautions and make sure you are very familiar with that person you are lending.
Yeah!!!!!!
depending how well u know him sia
:angel:

i have borrowed things from friends b4, like digicam, router, etc. I've also borrowed things from stangers, after signing the NDA ;p almost all the time i've returned the items in similar condition

i've also lend my things like dvdwriter to stangers b4, came back w/o a scratch. but most of the time my friend dun dare to borrow from me, maybe coz they know that my thing is already in a broken condition that they scare need to pay when they return me ;p

it narrows down to whether or not he even knows how to use a dslr.
if he doesnt, then tell him the truth: "the controls will confuse you"

hmmm... now that i have gone through a about 2 pages of reasons as to why i should not lend my camera to my friend. it does make sense. and i decided i won't lend my precious camera to my friends. so now, lets come out with some polite reasons to reject friends for everyone?? :D sometimes quite hard to reject mah... :embrass:

1) i need it for an assignment for the next month or so...
2) it belongs to my dad. (if no one knows who the camera belongs to)
3)
4)
5)

don't go with the level of friendship.....deal with your comfort level of lending him the cam. then reject him nicely. if he's a true friend, he'ld understand lor. ;)

I tot it would be how much u treasure ur camera against ur friendship.... For me, only one answer no..... and I would not borrow a friend's cam unless it is an office equipment or urgently required (normally dun happen as one should prepare a backup cam for projects handling)... :dunno: :nono: :nono:

If your friend spoil the camera, it is common sense that he has the pay.
The question is how much to pay especially if he accidentally caused some scratches on your camera which is not considered spoilt.

Better make all these clear before you lend him.

yeah, also teach him how to use it.
There was this time my friend took camera from me and play around with it.
He doesn't turn off the AF switch on the lens when turning the focus ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.