Friend paid a deposit for a camera. Now want to back out. How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zane80

May 22, 2009
Singapore
A friend of mine paid a deposit at a store in Arab Street for a red Nikon cool pix P500 that costs $600.

However, she has to put a deposit of $100 for the store to order the camera as the store does not have it.

Now she regretted and wishes for a refund. However, she paid by Nets and the receipt says it is not refundable.

So now, what should she do?

1) Live with it?

2) find an excuse to get a full refund?

3) forfeit all or part of the deposit?

4) other constructive suggestions?

#1. You can't go through saying "oh, now I want a camera and now I don't want it, you've ordered it, too bad!"

It will just extend to "oh, now I don't want the car, please take the green one that I've ordered and give me back my deposit."
"Oh, now I don't want my HDB flat, please take it back and give my deposit back."

Deposits don't quite work that way, if you realise..

A friend of mine paid a deposit at a store in Arab Street for a red Nikon cool pix P500 that costs $600.

However, she has to put a deposit of $100 for the store to order the camera as the store does not have it.

Now she regretted and wishes for a refund. However, she paid by Nets and the receipt says it is not refundable.

Buy the camera and try to sell it off at B&S, or
Negotiate with the shop to purchase another item exceeding $100, or
write-off the full deposit to cut losses.

By convention you forfeit your deposit if you later cancel the transaction. Doesn't matter how the deposit was paid.
Unless of course the seller is nice enough to let you get back your deposit, but that just reflects badly on the buyer.

the idea of the deposit is so as to protect the shop from this situation.
it doesn't matter the mode of payment that your friend made.
your friend could try talking to the shop nicely and see if they are willing to refund the deposit, but if they do not agree, there is nothing much that could be done.

Arab st got what camera store.?

Try your best to nego with the shop.

Did the owner force your friend in paying for the deposit? The shop have every right not to return that $100, so the best thing your friend can do is to settle for other stuff of the same value.

A friend of mine.... 4) other constructive suggestions?

Maybe she likes you. She is testing you to see whether you got standard or not. You should offer $100 to her to cover her loss on deposit
or
Maybe she is hinting to you to pay the remaining $500 to buy the digicam and give to her as a present. How come you did not get the hint.

First time heard of camera shop in Arab Street. Please give full name and address so we can learn something here. Post the photo of the shop here.

Near to Arab Street are Bugis Shopping Ctr and Sim Lim Square. Why is there a need to buy the camera from THAT particular shop in Arab Street.

First time heard of people pay deposit for a camera store to order its stock and buy from them.

Do you know the market price of the digicam she wanted to buy? Is she being over-charged at $600?

Finally - were you present at the time? If yes, then why did you not stop her from paying the deposit?

Last edited:
Try to sell it at B&S. If there is a buyer then good, otherwise forfeit the deposit

usually deposit..cant take back.. i dont think i heard of cases whereby 1 can just take it back..come on..the money is now in their hands..Its money..who would want to let it go so easily? lol..

1) Buy it and try to sell to friends..relatives or what not.. maybe she wont loose much and at the same time..do a good deed by selling cheaper.
2) BNS forum
3) If she dosent like or want the camera already...maybe can get something else? im sure its easier to cancel the order than asking your money back..
4) You help her absorb the $100.. same like #3...cancel her order then get a camera or new lens for yourself. Thereafter pay her back the $100..She will see you as a shiny knight.
5) Buy and gift it away as present.. infact..you can get many people to share it..there..damage is minimize.
6) forfeit it and take it as a lesson learnt and move on. Then thanks god its $100..

OK..i have give you 6 options..these are the options i can think of right now..the min i see your post. cheers

Last edited:
looks like your friend found a better deal and realised she was overcharged at $600. most online shops selling at USD 350 or so, which is far less from the 600. RRP listed on nikon SG page is 649 though, so maybe not too far off in singapore.

agree with most responses here, best way is to buy something else with the $100 credit if the shop allows. if it is a price issue, maybe can try to bargain abit more with the shop

Thanks for all the advice, good and bad and funny ones, my fren decide to honor the deal and get it after all. Thank you all again. And closing thread too.

Status
Not open for further replies.