Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
Have been told by others that they travel very regularly (2 to 3 times every month for whole year) using frequent flyer miles or points. So they do not need to spend money buying the air tickets.

While this may apply to a rare trip once in a long while, this cannot apply to frequent and constant air travel. So I don't buy the story. Common sense tells you it is not true.

Checked the internet and it seems like you get an economy ticket for 1 short trip worth about $600 SGD after trading in 25,000 frequent flyer miles. Is that correct? Like me know actual figures, if it is inaccurate.

How far is 25,000 air miles?
That is flying from SG to BKK 28 times one way or 14 times round trip.

Is frequent flyer miles (FFM) scheme a real benefit? Or is it a meaningless scam?
Any experience facing many restrictions and limitations trying to use the FFM?

Any seasoned air traveler here in CS can tell us more about FFM?

Last edited:
Have been told by others that they travel very regularly (2 to 3 times every month for whole year) using frequent flyer miles or points. So they do not need to spend money buying the air tickets.

While this may apply to a rare trip once in a long while, this cannot apply to frequent and constant air travel. So I don't buy the story. Common sense tells you it is not true.

Checked the internet and it seems like you get an economy ticket for 1 short trip worth about $600 SGD after trading in 25,000 frequent flyer miles. Is that correct? Like me know actual figures, if it is inaccurate.

How far is 25,000 air miles?
That is flying from SG to BKK 28 times one way or 14 times round trip.

Is frequent flyer miles (FFM) scheme a real benefit? Or is it a meaningless scam?
Any experience facing many restrictions and limitations trying to use the FFM?

Any seasoned air traveler here in CS can tell us more about FFM?

Some people get miles from credit card spending also... and some of these card owners charge everything with their card.

That, with constant business travel over long distances, it is possible. remember biz and first class get a lot more miles,

Based on my limited experience for Delta Air, that 25,000 miles is pretty limited - yes you can change for a ticket, but there are many conditions, for example it has to be an off-peak period and very limited slots for each flight. Booking also has to be made quite early.

They award miles for a lot of things like hotel stay in affiliated hotels, expenditure in certain places etc, so it's possible to accumulate a lot given the right conditions.
25,000 is not difficult - 3-4 trips to Japan will easily get you those miles.

For my friends who work regional jobs and fly frequently (at least once a month), it is very possible to accumulate a LOT of air miles.
A friend who goes to Europe at least once a month on business easily earns enough to bring his entire family for holiday twice a year FOC.

The ffm is priced in the ticket fare. Some airlines sell cheaper tix which don't earn miles.

Usually is those flying on company expense one lah unless you are very rich, nothing to do and travel to pass time. Especially for MNCs executives who fly business class across zones, their points can grow very fast. quickly.

not that hard

1 or 2 round trips to the US or Europe will be enough to redeem a Singapore-Korea-Singapore ticket on some airlines

US Carriers like American, Delta and United usually have good plans
Emirates and Qatar is also not bad

SIA is quite stingy in this area .....

Usually is those flying on company expense one lah unless you are very rich, nothing to do and travel to pass time. Especially for MNCs executives who fly business class across zones, their points can grow very fast. quickly.

wait long long ...... usually for MNC, the company will earn those points and miles , not its emplyees who are flying ... because ticket is bought by the MNC

wait long long ...... usually for MNC, the company will earn those points and miles , not its emplyees who are flying ... because ticket is bought by the MNC

Eh no leh. My previous 2 MNC employer pay for tickets but frequent flyer miles we get one. Maybe the companies I worked for are generous and I'm not sure about other mnc... But unfortunately did not travel much so got ffm also like no ffm. Some more sq ffm got 3 yr limit one... Always burn..

In the past when I was an IT consultant in the US, I made platinum for United Airlines Frequent Flyer in 3 months alone. But life was hell, living out of a suitcase all the time. After that, I always fly business back to Singapore for vacations for the price of discount economy pricing for the next 3-4 years.

No lag. It has to be under the employee's name. So the points are available to the employee. That's how I get my miles. I certainly can't be paying for trips to North America, Europe and North East Asia out of my own pockets!

Years back, when I had to travel Lisbon - Singapore almost every month, I got gold membership in 1.5 year time.

got couple of free tix from SIN to BKK or some SE cities.

Last edited:

Tickets can be in the name of the traveller mah.

To answer TS question, these are loyalty programs. You can only accumulate enough miles for claims if you stick with one airline and their partner airlines. There was a period of time when I have been flying a bit but with different airlines due to flight route and price. End up didn't get any perks despite covering many miles. So if ah gong is paying, choose the more flexible fare and accumulate the miles.

Last edited:
Hah, there are a few who clocked more than 10,000,000 miles (401 times around the Earth's circumference) already being invited to secretive frequent flyer clubs (elite of the elites) where there are only a number of selected few members in it. For me, sometimes I got downgraded from economy class to the sh1t jump seat.

A very reliable source.

Hah, there are a few who clocked more than 10,000,000 miles (401 times around the Earth's circumference) already being invited to secretive frequent flyer clubs (elite of the elites) where there are only a number of selected few members in it. For me, sometimes I got downgraded from economy class to the sh1t jump seat.

A very reliable source.

the mile high club?