Frequent distortion in the pictures

tishfire

Apr 21, 2010
SG, Sengkang
hi all, I got some bad distortion in my pictures on and off. It happen 1 -2 time out of 100 pictures. Anyone has any idea what is going on? I asked a friend and it was the sd card.

dsc0229l.jpg

Last edited:
File corrupted. Cannot be recovered since the file structure is screwed.
Format the memory card in computer, uncheck "Quick Format" option. If errors still appears get a better SD card. You can also perform additional checks on the SD card, there are tools in Internet for that.

File corrupted. Cannot be recovered since the file structure is screwed.
Format the memory card in computer, uncheck "Quick Format" option. If errors still appears get a better SD card. You can also perform additional checks on the SD card, there are tools in Internet for that.

Wow! Thanks for the prompt reply, I have just full formatted the card, hopefully my next shooting wont give me this problem.

I have seen problems like that when I was running a photolab some years ago. Came mostly from compact digital & customers who are very concerned about having enough space to store new photos taken. They constantly format their cards even when they are using 1gb or more. Formatting is only a procedure & the pictures are still on the cards until new pictures are taken & they are being overwritten. Try to use your media card till the very end & then do a normal format using your PC & card reader. Do not use quick format.

I have seen problems like that when I was running a photolab some years ago. Came mostly from compact digital & customers who are very concerned about having enough space to store new photos taken. They constantly format their cards even when they are using 1gb or more. Formatting is only a procedure & the pictures are still on the cards until new pictures are taken & they are being overwritten. Try to use your media card till the very end & then do a normal format using your PC & card reader. Do not use quick format.

hi, thanks for the reply! isnt the format function in the dslr like a full format?
u are right, my card is 50% to 80% full and i will do a format from the dslr. thats coz im not sure how many more space i need, and the previous pic i wont need anymore.

hi, thanks for the reply! isnt the format function in the dslr like a full format?
No, it is not a full format. It is a Quick Format. just a deletion of the FAT, the directory of files.
The FAT is like a directory where all allocation units (sectors) of the media are listed, together with remarks about files stored or which areas are free. When writing to the card the camera / computer will use these details to address free space. When reading from the card the FAT list the areas containing the bits and pieces of the file(s) so that the camera / computer knows which storage area to address for retrieval.
Camera format is just a clearing of the FAT. In result the card appears empty and the camera is able to write again. But in fact, all data are still there, including the file system structures. (That's the point where recovery tools come in. These tools just comb through the file system and sort the bits and pieces.)
A full format by computer will recreate the entire file system structure. In addition, media checks are performed to detect sectors not working properly. If some areas of the memory are buggy they will be marked and not used in future. You can check the existence of bad sectors using the Windows Command Prompt and the tool 'chkdsk [drive:]' or the Linux equivalent 'e2fsck'.
Regarding using media up to last bit of space I have read a different comment, saying one should leave a bit of space and not filling the card fully. But I have to admit I can't remember where I read this or in which context. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'll find the reference again.

hi, thanks for the detailed explanation, i"ve done a pc full format, will be testing out this sat. Thabks again

hi, thanks for the detailed explanation, i"ve done a pc full format, will be testing out this sat. Thabks again

If it still happens, time to claim on that lifetime warranty... (if you bought a card from a major brand like sandisk, kingston or lexar). They will replace your card with a new one.

thanks all for the advise, It didnt came back after I format from PC. But will be doing more tries. I believe its solved already.

just be carefull, if you have an important shoot coming, my advise is buy new memory. I had same problem, this problem come and go, so bought a new memory card. Solved it :p

thanks all for the advise, It didnt came back after I format from PC. But will be doing more tries. I believe its solved already.
Should be solved. You could also Google for memory test programs. A German computer magazine has developed one tool, filling the entire space with data and verifying the read-out. That will reveal any hiccup in the memory card for sure. You can do that with a few more clicks also on your own. Also good to verify whether the capacity is as stated or the card is a fake. Enjoy shooting.