Freelancers: Do you register your business with ACRA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all freelance photographers,
Just a quick check if you guys registered your business with ACRA?

There is a catergory of people who do not need to register with ACRA. Hawkers, Doctors, Lawyers, Taxi drivers, artists. I think freelance photographer falls under this group.

This is what it stated...

Exempted Entities/Individuals
List of exempted entities/individuals:
1. Individuals carrying on any of the businesses specified in the First Schedule.
2. Statutory authority or other body established under any written law.
3. Institution, society or person specified in the First Schedule to the Income Tax Act.
4. Registered Society.
5. Registered co-operative society.
6. Registered mutual benefit organisation.
7. Person carrying on any business consisting solely of the exercise of any profession which under the law can be exercised only by those who posses certain prescribed qualifications and whose names are registered in the manner prescribed by the law (e.g. doctors, lawyers).
8. Charitable institutions which is exempt from tax under the Income Tax Act.
9. The Public Trustee or the Official Assignee of the property of a bankrupt.
10. A foreign company carrying on business in Singapore which is registered under the Companies Act and carries on the business under its corporate name.
11. Any other person or class of persons for the time being exempted by the Minister, by notification of the Gazette, from all provisions of this Act.
12. Any company registered under the Companies Act or any previous legislation carrying on business under a business name that consists of its corporate name.

First Schedule
Businesses specified in the First Schedule:
1. Any business of a licensed hawker who sells or exposes for sale any drink, goods, wares or merchandise of any kind whatsoever, or who offers for hire his skill in handicraft or craftsmanship.
2. Any business of a craftsman who - (a) exercises his craft on his own domestic premises; (b) does not display the products of his craftsmanship for sale in public; and (c) does not employ any person other than members of his immediate family for the purpose of his business.
3. Any business of - (a) a taxi driver; (b) a trishaw rider; (c) a sampan man plying his sampan for hire; or (d) a farmer, a fish pond keeper or a prawn pond keeper who
(i) does not employ any person other than members of his immediate family; (ii) does not own the land on which his farm or pond stands; and (iii) does not charge members of the public any fee for admission.

Hmmmm... not sure where we are classified under...

FIRST SCHEDULE
Sections 2 (1) and 4 (1)
EXCLUDED BUSINESSES

1. Any business of a licensed hawker, whether itinerant or otherwise, who sells or exposes for sale any food, drink, goods, wares or merchandise of any kind, or who offers for hire his skill in handicraft or craftsmanship.

2. Any business of a craftsman who —

(a) exercises his craft on his own domestic premises;

(b) does not display the products of his craftsmanship for sale in public; and

(c) does not employ any person other than members of his immediate family for the purpose of his business.

3. Any business of —

(a) a taxi driver;

(b) a trishaw rider;

(c) a sampan man plying his sampan for hire; or

(d) a farmer, a fish pond keeper or a prawn pond keeper who —

(i) does not employ any person other than members of his immediate family;

(ii) does not own the land on which his farm or pond stands; and

(iii) does not charge members of the public any fee for admission.

Last edited:
nono, if u register.. U cant run if you Fiu. =p
haha.. My gutfeel is that most dont.

keep a good record of other source of income, preferable with receipts.

Inland Revenue will pounce on you after several years, ( with you thinking that you'd had been immuned ) not immediately...but surprised !! how come they know ha !?

the last 6 years...say from 08 back date to 03.

Last edited:
First Schedule
Businesses specified in the First Schedule:
1. Any business of a licensed hawker who sells or exposes for sale any drink, goods, wares or merchandise of any kind whatsoever, or who offers for hire his skill in handicraft or craftsmanship.

i believe we fall under this category? Its a different story if you are running a company thou i think.

Depends if you want to cover backside?

If you register as company and get sued, can limit liability.

If Sole Proprietor, just save the money

If you want to take care of profit sharing etc, Partnership?

If you need jobs from Gebiz (govt or stat board), you'll need to have your biz registered.

The other thing is the assurance to your clients that you're not some fly-by-night biz that might disappear after you take their down payment :D

Also, technically speaking, all invoices issued are supposed to have the biz name and biz registration number on it.

You should register your business so you can issue official invoices.

more info here for those of you who do not want to be accused of TAX EVASION

why not just registered your business with ACRA?

even you are a freelancers, you should registered your business under sole proprietorship.

it does not cost you alot, and you are telling your customers you are doing business "legally".

yes, you need to pay income tax, if you need to pay alot of tax, you should happy too, cos you've made a lot of money.

If you're employed by someone else, do make a check to see if you're allow to do so. ;)

"If you're employed by someone else, do make a check to see if you're allow to do so."

Do you mean checking with my company?

"If you're employed by someone else, do make a check to see if you're allow to do so."

Do you mean checking with my company?
oh yes, some company policy not allow employees moonlighting outside... for whatever reasons.

if they find out, your company will make you a FULL TIME freelancer.

Last edited:
You should register your business so you can issue official invoices.

more info here for those of you who do not want to be accused of TAX EVASION

Hey Clown,
Thanks for the further information:thumbsup:... looks like I'll have to digest the 22 pages 1st before i make any decision... :sweat:

cheers

oh yes, some company policy not allow employees moonlighting outside... for whatever reasons.

if they find out, your company will make you a FULL TIME freelancer.

I've checked with my HR, they are alright with it as long as there is no "conflict of interest" with the company...

that's grate, just hope that your company will not asking you for FREE photography service....

:eek: :sweat:

haha, anyway, good luck to TS if the boss doesn't mind about that...hm...some bosses/supervisors are not that :angel:..

I've checked with my HR, they are alright with it as long as there is no "conflict of interest" with the company...

Wah, your company very open-minded leh :thumbsup:.

Registration with ARCA under sole-proprietorship is very cheap only.

Wah, your company very open-minded leh :thumbsup:.

Registration with ARCA under sole-proprietorship is very cheap only.

Hmmm.. i think it will take me quite some to digest all the information from the websites before i can finally come out with a decision whether to register or not mann... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.