Freelance: Solo vs Group?

Freelance: Solo vs Group?


Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#5
freelance is difficult to do as a group IMHO... mabbe with one other person if you know that person's working and photog style well.

personally i prefer to work alone. that way i screw up its my own fault hahahah
 

#6
Originally posted by Larry
freelance is difficult to do as a group IMHO... mabbe with one other person if you know that person's working and photog style well.

personally i prefer to work alone. that way i screw up its my own fault hahahah
pros and cons Larry. Solo: con is that if u suddenly cannot make it for ur assignment, no one to help cover u esp one who is of the same style as urself last minute ;P

Group: con can be messy if there are relatively little assignments to go around ;p
 

Jun 2, 2002
975
0
0
hErE lAh
#7
But if you work alone & if you are unable to do the job - can pass the job to another photographer friend & just get a cut off it. Larry, if I am not wrong, I think you'd rather do it this way?
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#8
Originally posted by lavenderlilz
But if you work alone & if you are unable to do the job - can pass the job to another photographer friend & just get a cut off it. Larry, if I am not wrong, I think you'd rather do it this way?
right on! i've passed on several assignments this way. but usually i don't ask/get a cut, just that if the other guy has future assignments, pass to me as well. works both ways - you scratch my back i scratch yours. :D
 

Jun 2, 2002
975
0
0
hErE lAh
#9
Originally posted by Larry
right on! i've passed on several assignments this way. but usually i don't ask/get a cut, just that if the other guy has future assignments, pass to me as well. works both ways - you scratch my back i scratch yours. :D
Ah that's another way of looking at it :)
 

Silverelf

New Member
Dec 19, 2002
258
0
0
39
Near Equator
Visit site
#10
I haven't the foggiest of how to freelance in a group... heheh... anyway I am way way way off that level... still got ultra many thibngs to learn
 

Ian

Senior Member
Feb 20, 2002
2,548
0
0
56
Perth Australia
#11
I'll sometimes team up with another professional if it's for a stock photography shoot but most of the time it's me and me alone (with my PA of course who can double as a second photograper if needed).

When fun shooting I prefer small groups 2-4 people as it's less chaotic and more fun.
 

Dagger

New Member
Jul 17, 2002
1,151
0
0
19
Singapore
simone.clubsnap.org
#12
Agree with Larry here well. Neko also on the pros and cons of both.

From the human factor point of view, a group or duo may be hard to work on long run, but there are also exceptions. You see, people can change through time, we also have consider fairness, what one another thinks of the others, etc. Even family members can also have disputes. You can also take some of those pop groups/celebrity groups in the past that have gotten together, broken up and gotten back together again.

Personnally, if you feel you team well as group do go ahead and communicate as communication can kill everyone easily if there is no good understanding of anything that the group is doing. And if someone senses something not going in the right direction, all must be ready to take it up directly and not just hide and forget about. Through time, all these little not so happy things can lead to disaster.

Remember if in a group...
Communicate!..Communicate!..Communicate! 90% of management is Communication.
Work in harmony,
bear no grudges!
All are even.
Delegation is important.
All must accept and know one another's strengths and weaknesses.
Admit ones fault if it is and then resolve it and no blaming.
No story of 'somebody should have done it, whilst anybody could have done it, thinking that somebody has done it but nobody has done it...'
Be honest with one and all....
etc,

Hope am not confusing you all.

Just my 2cts worth.
 

suhaimig

New Member
Oct 30, 2002
323
0
0
47
Central
#13
Originally posted by Ian
I'll sometimes team up with another professional if it's for a stock photography shoot but most of the time it's me and me alone (with my PA of course who can double as a second photograper if needed).

When fun shooting I prefer small groups 2-4 people as it's less chaotic and more fun.
What is a PA?:D

Cheers.:cool:
 

PentiumPC

Senior Member
Dec 11, 2002
557
0
16
50
Singapore
Visit site
#16
Originally posted by Dagger
Agree with Larry here well. Neko also on the pros and cons of both.

From the human factor point of view, a group or duo may be hard to work on long run, but there are also exceptions. You see, people can change through time, we also have consider fairness, what one another thinks of the others, etc. Even family members can also have disputes. You can also take some of those pop groups/celebrity groups in the past that have gotten together, broken up and gotten back together again.

Personnally, if you feel you team well as group do go ahead and communicate as communication can kill everyone easily if there is no good understanding of anything that the group is doing. And if someone senses something not going in the right direction, all must be ready to take it up directly and not just hide and forget about. Through time, all these little not so happy things can lead to disaster.

Remember if in a group...
Communicate!..Communicate!..Communicate! 90% of management is Communication.
Work in harmony,
bear no grudges!
All are even.
Delegation is important.
All must accept and know one another's strengths and weaknesses.
Admit ones fault if it is and then resolve it and no blaming.
No story of 'somebody should have done it, whilst anybody could have done it, thinking that somebody has done it but nobody has done it...'
Be honest with one and all....
etc,

Hope am not confusing you all.

Just my 2cts worth.
Well said Dagger.

I should have said all that, but I have not.... hehe..

Cheers,
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom