Freelance/Pro AD Wedding photogs? Market is bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 3, 2004
My AD is coming and we have been searching for a photog, more or less narrowed down some.

I came across those "in-house" photogs when we were preparing for our studio and outside location shots in the bridal studio and enquired about them. To my surprise, they only charge $500 for 8 rolls (they are on film) and quite a number are even inclusive of prints/scanning! Geez....that's low!
I thought it used to be like at least $700-800 a couple of years ago.

I am wondering if anybody has engaged them before and any comments? Am thinking of getting a second photog to shoot in B/W.

Secondly, I do ADs too (of course my pics are not really up to the standard of pros) if I am available and the chance comes. And of late I noticed that even a $688 package with 360 4Rs and a multimedia slideshow included is rejected as being too expensive. I am wondering if any of the freelancers here noticed that too?? :dunno: In fact, charging $50 extra for early bird fee has to be absorbed too, and sometimes you can whack past midnight and no surcharge....really expecting a lot. I am thinking of concentrating on events liao....it's really tough even for a freelancer.

since its an easy market to enter & the entrance & exit from this industry is quite easy, and holding cost is low... i guess there is too many ppl in this line already, hence the tough competition...

anyway, a person with a camera can be a photographer, but a person with a camera & skills will den be called a pro... but general public dun really know how 2 differentiate between a pro & a non-pro...

I was just doing the math. 7AM - 1pm and then 6pm-11pm....already conservative with the timing. 11 hours. Say cost is $688 - 125 for prints and it's 563. 563/11 = $51/hr. Not forgetting that they expect much more DI/effects compared to events (basically none). Haven't even add in multimedia slideshow.....even though my computing power is free (but effort is not). Wow...

it is much tougher for such pros.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
anyway, a person with a camera can be a photographer, but a person with a camera & skills will den be called a pro... but general public dun really know how 2 differentiate between a pro & a non-pro...
What really amazes me is the "in-house" bridal studio photog pricings. I am not sure what is the real quality but those sample shots look pretty ok leh....
I even saw $400 but it was for 6 rolls.

We are living in a reality world.

most likely they are killing each other... no wonder canon & nikon makes big money & never really give much discount... cos more & more ppl buy cameras...

hey guys

enjoy what u are shooting is more impt... if u r a freelance AD photgr, it's still pocket money for you. When u eventually turn PRO - I mean consistency in your pictures, couples will 'beg' u to take for them :bsmilie:

I know of a pro, who increased his/her fees bcos he/she had enuff of weddings liao. They were hoping to deter some interest in their wedding services so that they can concentrate on other areas. Of cos, they can only get better after each wedding assignments. Guess what ? there is still a demand for their services despite the fee hike... :bsmilie: You will be surprised tt there are still many couples out there, who believes in paying for what they want :lovegrin:

Basically, enjoy your AD shoot with the couple and your shots will turn out better ... at least, it works for me. Interaction is another area of satisfaction as u build up ur networking during these shoots. If u find it a chore or not being paid enuff, u will hardly enjoy the shoot fully and your shots will somewhat speak for you subconsciously.

In layman terms, if u r enthusiastic abt the shoot, u will be actively looking for moments to capture. If u r not, u will be waiting for moments to capture ...get my point :)

AhV said:
hey guys

enjoy what u are shooting is more impt... if u r a freelance AD photgr, it's still pocket money for you. When u eventually turn PRO - I mean consistency in your pictures, couples will 'beg' u to take for them :bsmilie:

I know of a pro, who increased his/her fees bcos he/she had enuff of weddings liao. They were hoping to deter some interest in their wedding services so that they can concentrate on other areas. Of cos, they can only get better after each wedding assignments. Guess what ? there is still a demand for their services despite the fee hike... :bsmilie: You will be surprised tt there are still many couples out there, who believes in paying for what they want :lovegrin:

Basically, enjoy your AD shoot with the couple and your shots will turn out better ... at least, it works for me. Interaction is another area of satisfaction as u build up ur networking during these shoots. If u find it a chore or not being paid enuff, u will hardly enjoy the shoot fully and your shots will somewhat speak for you subconsciously.

In layman terms, if u r enthusiastic abt the shoot, u will be actively looking for moments to capture. If u r not, u will be waiting for moments to capture ...get my point :)

spot on, enjoy your shoot and challenge yourself to outdo the next shoot. We will notice improvement and so will others.

2100 said:
My AD is coming and we have been searching for a photog, more or less narrowed down some.

I came across those "in-house" photogs when we were preparing for our studio and outside location shots in the bridal studio and enquired about them. To my surprise, they only charge $500 for 8 rolls (they are on film) and quite a number are even inclusive of prints/scanning! Geez....that's low!
I thought it used to be like at least $700-800 a couple of years ago.

I am wondering if anybody has engaged them before and any comments? Am thinking of getting a second photog to shoot in B/W.

Secondly, I do ADs too (of course my pics are not really up to the standard of pros) if I am available and the chance comes. And of late I noticed that even a $688 package with 360 4Rs and a multimedia slideshow included is rejected as being too expensive. I am wondering if any of the freelancers here noticed that too?? :dunno: In fact, charging $50 extra for early bird fee has to be absorbed too, and sometimes you can whack past midnight and no surcharge....really expecting a lot. I am thinking of concentrating on events liao....it's really tough even for a freelancer.
This price is so call a market standard, $500 is the price barrier.

A lot of wedding day photographers stay in this price range, practice a minimum postproduction method, and that’s how they can afford charge at that price.

Customers don’t really care how much time (postproduction) you put in for a wedding photography, and most of them just only want to look at the price tag first.

This kind of customers dominates the most part of market, and very tough competition here between the pros, part-timers and newbie.

So that's how many people come and go, only the fittest stays.

wedding market is really bad for professional now,alot of couple choose to cut cost on their wedding due to the loomy economy...

i even hear of pp doing it for $200 excl prints!

company and big organisations events are alot better and more frequent,less headache since u only need to cover the events and dun have to pose couples and smile here look there etc...

Hmmm, kinda puzzled me that you started this thread and asked the question?

When it's you also that started this one... :think:

Market is bad because of people who undercut the market to get into the wedding photography realm.

It's ok for me because it really keeps those 'ngiao' clients off my email(s).

However cheap they may be, I just feel really sad that these people don't give quality images, just cheap services. Photography has been lowered to a money making gimmick for these undercut-market shooters. They don't care about image quality, shots, etc... just to deliver and get paid.

It's really sad... that's what I feel.

kex said:
wedding market is really bad for professional now,alot of couple choose to cut cost on their wedding due to the loomy economy...

Hmmm, service only....$200
Film or digital?

catchlights said:
Hmmm, service only....$200
Film or digital?
Probably digital for like prints, 2 hours of shoot, album, etc. $200.

Or even 4 hours with 300 prints, album, for event shoot at $200.

Have come across such people...

should be digital la..

$200- $40(transport to & fro to shoot and to & fro to send CD)

which is only $160 for a whole day job...

Whee... You have these contacts? Next time if I encounter clients complain ex, I can refer them to these people :)

espn said:
Whee... You have these contacts? Next time if I encounter clients complain ex, I can refer them to these people :)

dun have leh,i heard about this pricing from my customers.

But i dun encourage recommending business to these undercutters..

kex said:

company and big organisations events are alot better and more frequent,less headache since u only need to cover the events and dun have to pose couples and smile here look there etc...

"$200 excl prints" it was in the market many years back already lah, but maybe not so many of them at that time lor and usually they are the "freelance" who are out for a quick $

i was once being approached by another photographer who happen to "had" 2 wedding at the same day, asking me to "help" "help" "please" and was only paid $120 for the service. being very very new in photography, just accepted it as a experience lor. that was many year back liao lah.

Status
Not open for further replies.