Freelance Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slivester

Deregistered
Nov 9, 2004
Woodlands
humors.deviantart.com
Just curious, any CSer out here who probably just started or experienced in freelance photography, and encountered situations whereby clients insist on dragging payment. I just did my first try, and submitted the photographs with an agreement I insist him to sign and send it to me along with the cheque for payment. I have only receive 40% of the payment by fund transfer right into my bank account, and he is now saying my pictures are of a poor quality, that he need to verify the photographs once more.

I just resist to say this, but I did remember clearly that he was satisfied with the outcome. As agreed with him, I cannot post pictures up here, but if you wish, you can visit my gallery at deviantART.

I am feeling quite bad now, its either my pictures are that bad, or is he just trying to drag the payment.

:cry:

i think he's jus dragging payment.. keep pestering him.. that's life as a free lancer when u meet such jerks :thumbsd:

for those who i don't really work for often, photos OK, pay $$$.....no $$$ no photos.
onces photo in their hands without paying you.........the waiting and chasing games starts.....:thumbsd: :sticktong

Small Claims court is always open for you.

Slivester said:
Just curious, any CSer out here who probably just started or experienced in freelance photography, and encountered situations whereby clients insist on dragging payment. I just did my first try, and submitted the photographs with an agreement I insist him to sign and send it to me along with the cheque for payment. I have only receive 40% of the payment by fund transfer right into my bank account, and he is now saying my pictures are of a poor quality, that he need to verify the photographs once more.

I just resist to say this, but I did remember clearly that he was satisfied with the outcome. As agreed with him, I cannot post pictures up here, but if you wish, you can visit my gallery at deviantART.

I am feeling quite bad now, its either my pictures are that bad, or is he just trying to drag the payment.

:cry:
Chao kuan ppl alot. I feel where u're coming frm.

When I started early last year, kena ppl who act blur and take advantage of the fact that I dun like to open mouth and talk about money. I expect the fella to automatic but den....

Got one lagi worse. Want good photos, want everything but just dun want to pay a premium. There's a saying that goes, "A wise man learns frm his mistakes and a fool repeats them."

They paid me peanut powder, I give them really peanuts. 72dpi, 4x6" sized photos. No full res photos. The moment they try to blow up and do montage (which is what they have in mind), the whole picture gone case.

Nowadays, if ppl approach me to do something outside of what I'm supposed to do. I wun hesitate to put on the devil's mask. SHOW ME THE MONEY, NO MONEY NO TALK.

This world is like dat, everybody's automatic button spoil liaoz. U need to give dat fella a good kick before he will automatic. :angry:

i also learnt my lesson which is why now, i do not do for companies who will only pay after 2 mths or more...2 weeks is the max i will give.

dragos said:
i also learnt my lesson which is why now, i do not do for companies who will only pay after 2 mths or more...2 weeks is the max i will give.
I prefer - Full cash payment on delivery.

2wks?! :bigeyes: U certainly have the guts man.

Personally, things I do these days is COD. No money, no honey and no photos.
Dun pay? Never mind loh, use whatever 'produce' u can salvage frm friends point-and-shoots. :bsmilie: I use dat one as my portfolio.

jsbn said:

Dun pay? Never mind loh, use whatever 'produce' u can salvage frm friends point-and-shoots. :bsmilie: I use dat one as my portfolio.
Can I follow you for shoot? :embrass:

Thumbs up for you!

jsbn said:
They paid me peanut powder, I give them really peanuts. 72dpi, 4x6" sized photos. No full res photos. The moment they try to blow up and do montage (which is what they have in mind), the whole picture gone case.

dragos said:

very gd advise :thumbsup:

espn said:
Can I follow you for shoot? :embrass:
Cannot, I buay kan one. Ur Coolpix more powerful, out-perform my KM5D. If there's anyone I muz follow, its u. :embrass: Not those with 1-series, D2-series. Coolpix cover events/weddings and produce great stuff is truly what the God of Photography can do. :embrass:

Can I call u Master? :embrass:

vince123123 said:
Thumbs up for you!
But den again, 1 thumbs up but I've been thinking if its 'ethical' for a professional to do dat at all?

I did it in a spur of anger... extreme anger.

Imagine if someone tells u how to take photo ("I want the face sharp one, background blur-blur one") when they dun even know the proper terminology for basic things like..... "Bokeh".

dragos said:

sama sama, i have already ups my prices for clients whom pay later than 60 days.... $200 per hour, full copyrights for photog until payment, will sue if usage of photos before payment. lots of smelly clients in the market.:angry:

jsbn said:
But den again, 1 thumbs up but I've been thinking if its 'ethical' for a professional to do dat at all?

I did it in a spur of anger... extreme anger.

Imagine if someone tells u how to take photo ("I want the face sharp one, background blur-blur one") when they dun even know the proper terminology for basic things like..... "Bokeh".

if everything they know, they also want to take for themselves.:bsmilie:

Make sure your contract says the client is liable for payment whether he likes the end product or not. There are risks involved in business, even in using outside contractors like photographers. He has to like your work or style to engage you to do his work in the 1st place. Whether he likes the end result is a risk he has to take. Of course we as photographers also must automatic a bit lah. If you feel he genuinely dislikes the shoot and even we ourselves find it only so so, the right thing to do is to do a re-shoot. But if it is the a$$h*Le trying to play punk, as long as you have the legitimate paperwork, bring him to the small claims tribunal and settle things for like $20.
If I were you, I'd go to him and say it's new year in a few days, so if he doesn't want bad luck for his business he better settle all the monies he owes everyone, including you.

Actually jsbn gave me a very good idea. Give the client the shots in very low res to view. Satisfied? Pay and get the high res versions. No money no talk. Mmmm....good trick jsbn. Will do this from now.

I think its a matter of trust and relationship between yourself and the client.

I deal mostly with direct client and not with any advertising agency which asigned you the job. In fact most ad agency will pay you only after one to three months time, which I
consider very lucky.

For new customers I will do it on a COD basic. Where as long existing one I will allow a
maximiun of not more than one month. So far so good.

So go firm on your price and payment terms.

jsbn said:

2 weeks will be those more establish or those i know one lah...like those CCs, Committees, frens, etc. Their cheques is signed by members/volunteers and sometimes need to give more time mah. Was from People's Association last time, so they will not cheat me one...haha

For all the rest, COD!!! You need to sort this out before the shoot.

Heartshape said:
Make sure your contract says the client is liable for payment whether he likes the end product or not. There are risks involved in business, even in using outside contractors like photographers. He has to like your work or style to engage you to do his work in the 1st place. Whether he likes the end result is a risk he has to take. Of course we as photographers also must automatic a bit lah. If you feel he genuinely dislikes the shoot and even we ourselves find it only so so, the right thing to do is to do a re-shoot. But if it is the a$$h*Le trying to play punk, as long as you have the legitimate paperwork, bring him to the small claims tribunal and settle things for like $20.
If I were you, I'd go to him and say it's new year in a few days, so if he doesn't want bad luck for his business he better settle all the monies he owes everyone, including you.

Actually jsbn gave me a very good idea. Give the client the shots in very low res to view. Satisfied? Pay and get the high res versions. No money no talk. Mmmm....good trick jsbn. Will do this from now.

Theres a clause from which I cited that the photographer is not liable for any amendments or reclaims should the client find the final product not of satisfactory presentation after the transaction have taken place. Just that, he has yet to sign the agreement.

Now he is trying to bring out the fact that I was not entirely aware or fore-noticed, that he have spent alot of $ trying to get me to photograph his products, food by the way. Oh come on, I even went into the extend to rush from my workplace twice to his store, both by taxi with total amounts up to $30, and have to rent lightings since the lighting was utterly bad there. No harm I supposed but he was only paying me $10 per hour, and the pricing of each photograph is yet to be finalised. I reckon from his words that since "the photos are of poor quality", maybe he is hinting that he would probably just purchase the license for ten or less. I did conclude in the Photo Release Agreement that I hold the entire right to own the pictures though.

Any general idea, or suggestion how should I deal with him? Frankly, I have no intention AT ALL to puff up the entire incident, like many of you suggested, I should probably take this as a lesson. The only problem is, the money issue was discussed days beforehand, and I told him specifically that payment must be made before I pass the photo, which of course, the day I pass him the photos, he ask if he could send a cheque instead, and I on one hand, is really tired of travelling back and fro, so I was sort of obliged to agree.

By the way, the 400 odds photos I passed to him are all at 300dpi, 600x490, since hes paying me at that kind of sum. The only woe I share now is that, I personally custom-edited each of the 400 odds photos, which took me the entire 2 nights worth of sleep!

Argh! :angry:

jsbn said:
Chao kuan ppl alot. I feel where u're coming frm.

When I started early last year, kena ppl who act blur and take advantage of the fact that I dun like to open mouth and talk about money. I expect the fella to automatic but den....

Got one lagi worse. Want good photos, want everything but just dun want to pay a premium. There's a saying that goes, "A wise man learns frm his mistakes and a fool repeats them."

Nowadays, if ppl approach me to do something outside of what I'm supposed to do. I wun hesitate to put on the devil's mask. SHOW ME THE MONEY, NO MONEY NO TALK.

This world is like dat, everybody's automatic button spoil liaoz. U need to give dat fella a good kick before he will automatic. :angry:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My client want those photographs that are really really over-exposed kind. I am not sure why he admires that, but I was obliged, of course, to give that kind of stuff. I am not really sure if that is connected to "poor-quality", since I didn't give him those "over-exposured" style for the entire 400 odds of them, probably just less than 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.