Freehold vs 99yrs property

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGimCi C0d3

Jan 11, 2006
Woodlands
Hi fellow csers,

Can anyone enlighten me on the differences of buying a FH property vs a 99yrs property? I have been asking various housing agents but getting different opinions. Seems that everyone is answering my question based on their agenda (i.e what are they trying to sell me). I hope to get a more neutral and unbias answer here.

All advise appreciated. TIA! :)

cheers.

Always thought Freehold means 999 years.........vs 99 years.

HS

my thoughts too, which i believe is true.
FH = 999 yrs
99yrs = 99yrs ;p

but what does all these figures mean when it comes to investments potential? Does FH equates to more resistance to market slump? Does FH equates to higher increase in $$ during a property boom? We probably will not live so long as to outlive the lease, so why are ppl paying more $ for FH homes? :confused::think:

freehold is not = 999 years.

Freehold mean the plot of land belongs to you like forever... theoretically anyway since the government can always buy over the land for a small price if they want to.

Nowadays like never see 999 years property also. But then not house hunting so never check as well.

Last edited:
freehold is not = 999 years.

Freehold mean the plot of land belongs to you like forever... theoretically anyway since the government can always buy over the land for a small price if they want to.

Nowadays like never see 999 years property also. But then not house hunting so never check as well.

Freehold is 999 years.

Freehold means you are buying over that plot. 999 years is a lease.

Freehold means you are buying over that plot. 999 years is a lease.

freehold... do u hold the strata title or what? that's more important.

the number doesn't make sense to us.

even for lease hold 99yrs, before you live at the place for 30 yrs, enbloc, aqusition .... etc.

The numbers only play part in short term value, the land strata you hold is the one that plays long term value!!!

That's why we foreigner can buy freehold condo (only strata title, no land title), cannot buy landed property (unless approved by MAS, other authorithies).

For a freehold property, you have an unlimited tenure i.e. you have the land forever and you hold it indefinitely. For example you can transfer the land during your lifetime or upon your death to whoever you want to. You kinda have like absolute ownership over the property.

Leasehold Estates includes all those properties that have all the 99 years,999 years and etc. Examples will be like your HDB flats and some condominiums and terraces.

You may want to check on estates in perpetuity as well.Its something like freehold but the owner holds it subject to terms and conditions stated in the States Land Act.

i am jut giving you an overview of what i was thought in my conveyancing law class.hope it helps.

For a freehold property, you have an unlimited tenure i.e. you have the land forever and you hold it indefinitely. For example you can transfer the land during your lifetime or upon your death to whoever you want to. You kinda have like absolute ownership over the property.

Leasehold Estates includes all those properties that have all the 99 years,999 years and etc. Examples will be like your HDB flats and some condominiums and terraces.

You may want to check on estates in perpetuity as well.Its something like freehold but the owner holds it subject to terms and conditions stated in the States Land Act.

i am jut giving you an overview of what i was thought in my conveyancing law class.hope it helps.
If with Freehold you own the land below your house, how about Freehold Condominiums? Do the people below and above you own the same piece of land????

HS

If with Freehold you own the land below your house, how about Freehold Condominiums? Do the people below and above you own the same piece of land????

HS

nope, those freehold condo is strata title. You are entitle to sell your area (in the air) because of "layer" or strata. You cannot / not entitle to do anything to the land your condo is built on.
That's why foreigners can buy "freehold condo".

For landed, you own the plot. You pay whatever taxes related to the land, you can develop according to the land title usage / planning. And you really own this peace of land!!!! There's even area at the beach or sea water, all with registered title and demarked by surveyor.

So the power or owning a peace of land is really different from owning a unit of private apartment / condo / penthouse.... Even in M'sia, not many landed title owned by the people.

In this day and age, with en bloc and collective sales, and with the Govt's powers of acquisition, I'm questioning the real benefit of freehold.

Not forgetting that CPF have different withdrawal rules for properties with leases less than 60 years remaining life - less amount can be withdrawn. This is important as many use CPF to fund property purchase. Less from CPF means more from free cash flow - this will definitely impact a purchaser decision especially if he is planning to fund through CPF.

99 years = you know the clock is ticking
Freehold = you think its yours forever

HS

My question too!

nope, those freehold condo is strata title. You are entitle to sell your area (in the air) because of "layer" or strata. You cannot / not entitle to do anything to the land your condo is built on.
That's why foreigners can buy "freehold condo".

For landed, you own the plot. You pay whatever taxes related to the land, you can develop according to the land title usage / planning. And you really own this peace of land!!!! There's even area at the beach or sea water, all with registered title and demarked by surveyor.

So the power or owning a peace of land is really different from owning a unit of private apartment / condo / penthouse.... Even in M'sia, not many landed title owned by the people.

shorty, thanks for the reply! :)

when my parents bought their property, it was a freehold.
But when they sold it, the land deed actually said it has about 800++ years left.

So what does that mean?

Singapore has 3 types of "lease" Freehold, 999 years and 99 years?

Freehold = U r Free to hold forever!:cool:

Leasehold = 30yrs, 60yrs, 99yrs, 999yrs, 9999yrs, u are not free to hold forever!:p

Nisa sorry to say but ur parents kena smoke!:cry:

For strata titles, under normal buy and sell scenarios, the seller sells only his apartment.

But the other point to take note of is the apartment has an attached "share value" of the entire estate. A strata title does not mean that you do not own the land, it merely refines it further to say that no one individual owns it directly, but it is collective ownership. The collective share values owns the land the apartment sits on. No single owner can transact this land, but collectively, the owners can pool together and agree to a collective sale of the land and everything on it. (If strata titles dont own the land, then logic dictates that they cannot sell the land in an enbloc scenario.)

In enbloc, it is not the value of the apartment that drives the value, it is the amount of land that the apartment sits on plus a few other factors like plot ratio and height limit. Thats why we have a situation whereby one's unit may only worth $0.5 mil in the resale market whereas in an enbloc scenario, the amount one can get is $2 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.