Free wireless broadband, where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
Where are the places in Singapore that I can connect to wireless broadband free? I tried Suntec and Changi airport, there are wireless signal from Starhub but it requires member id.....

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
www.danielbeh.com
Hommie said:
MacDonald's skynet.
is it free? i tried to connect to the local wireless network in MacDonald's Funan, and all of them require userID..

i found a place that i can surf for free.. Wheelock place, 2nd level, i think it's NYDC, the cafe just opposite apple centre. It wasn't there that i surf, but at Sakae Sushi around 20-30m away from it. :) The network i chose was the cafe name.. Signal wasn't full strengh but it's still broadband! :)

Hommie

Oct 11, 2004
Singapore
behyx said:
is it free? i tried to connect to the local wireless network in MacDonald's Funan, and all of them require userID..

i found a place that i can surf for free.. Wheelock place, 2nd level, i think it's NYDC, the cafe just opposite apple centre. It wasn't there that i surf, but at Sakae Sushi around 20-30m away from it. :) The network i chose was the cafe name.. Signal wasn't full strengh but it's still broadband! :)
Did you connect to Skynet Globel or Singnet? Once connected in the Skynet, you'll see a flash app. of multi-coloured balloons. Skip the balloons, key in your name, email and you are ready to surf!

argent2

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
Last year the whole place was wireless enabled, not sure about now.

Only tried the cafes, and it worked there.

:)

cookiez

Oct 6, 2003
Astin said:
Where are the places in Singapore that I can connect to wireless broadband free? I tried Suntec and Changi airport, there are wireless signal from Starhub but it requires member id.....
If u are asked to enter member id and pw from starhub then its not free,
i guess u need to subscribe to Outdoor wireless surf service. Singnet is
offering about $10 per mth if u are already their BB subscriber.

Cactus jACK

Staff member
Jul 12, 2004
Singapore (Kallang)
behyx said:
... i found a place that i can surf for free.. Wheelock place, 2nd level, i think it's NYDC, the cafe just opposite apple centre...
i think that they offer free wireless to patrons at the suntec outlet as well. :thumbsup:

sbs99

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
Macs started charging?!?!? kaoz...

all along i thot juz log in with email and u can surf oredi? :sweat:

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Well, I was surfing at Wisma's and Chinatown Point's Mac just last saturday, I got in FOC :)

You have to select SSID skynetglobal, if it doesn't load, type in http://login.com/ it should direct you to the flash page for login. Just enter anything to login.

NYDC @ Wheelock place is also FOC, the SSID is nydc-freewireless or something, I picked up the signal whilst sitting @ Coffee Bean, but rather weak.

As for Funan, I believe there's wireless throughout the entire place, but according to Acidbyte, only 2 hours of use allowed :dunno:

I'm still sourcing for more FOC points, Macs are good, but fattening + expensive :bsmilie: Everytime I surf, I sure buy a drink and sit there relax. :bsmilie:

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
Astin said:
starhub not free anymore :(

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Wai said:
starhub not free anymore :(
Starhub is no longer free, they require you to purchase 'access'.

If only they have wireless everywhere, then I don't mind subscribing as I can be on the go.

I also sourced a wireless network whilst on bus 88 from Pasir Ris side to the expressway :bsmilie:

This wireless network thingie is fun :bsmilie: at the moment that is ;p

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
espn said:
Starhub is no longer free, they require you to purchase 'access'.

If only they have wireless everywhere, then I don't mind subscribing as I can be on the go.
i think singnet BB customer can use singtel wireless network FOC

but i am paying like $200+ a mth to starhub for 2 x cable modem and 3 x mobileline...yet they still want another $10/mth to use wireless BB :angry:

u want wireless everywhere? then use GSM or 3G network lor

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
Wai said:

but i am paying like $200+ a mth to starhub for 2 x cable modem and 3 x mobileline...yet they still want another $10/mth to use wireless BB :angry:

I am on singnet broadband, but most places I go there are only starhub signal, not many places have singnet signal...

sbs99

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
i wonder how well would 3G take off...

surfing by handphone is so expensive right now as it is...using GPRS...

100kb = $1?

my bill for surf Starhub, 16mb of data...i got charged for $160+....kaoz...i was shocked when i received my bill. :angry:

I stayed away from using it this month...if this gonna be expensive for 3G, i don't think it will be popular. Anybody know the costs for 3G? :sweat:

smallaperture

Jan 5, 2004
Catchment Area
Wai said:

Wai, got 2 x cable modem? What on earth are you doing with it, which can serve up to 8 stations! Are you doing some business, some website? Just curious.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Astin said:
I am on singnet broadband, but most places I go there are only starhub signal, not many places have singnet signal...
Singnet have a few like Starbucks or CoffeeBean and/or Spinellis :)

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
espn said:
Singnet have a few like Starbucks or CoffeeBean and/or Spinellis :)
Wireless broadband effective distance is about 10m right? So I dont really need to sit inside Starbucks, just sit "near" to Starbucks and still can log in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom