Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkForce

May 1, 2004
newbie land
Hi Guys,

Win XP Service Pack 2 is out

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2predl.mspx

It contain a better built-in firewall. Base on Microsoft, unlike SP-1 this release can also patch those pirated XP version too.

Microsoft declare the following

---------------------------------------------------------------------
** WARNING! This technical preview is unsupported and is intended for testing purposes only. Do not use in production environments.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thus , as someone point out to me , if you do not know or unsure what you are doing then don't install it. I am just sharing some info to you guys and did not force you to do it.

Still not the official release right. Once we update to this can we still update when the official version comes out ?

Don't hurry with these releases... They are not supported and MS will not be responsible if you lose everything on your PC.

I did not know there was ever a "privated" version of anything ;)

RemAcuTetigisti said:
Don't hurry with these releases... They are not supported and MS will not be responsible if you lose everything on your PC.

I did not know there was ever a "privated" version of anything ;)

"privated" or "pirated" :blah: Ha Ha Ha

reno77 said:
Still not the official release right. Once we update to this can we still update when the official version comes out ?

Well, not sure. I am those type "die die" also go and try the lastest. Die never mind but must try before die ;)

This is not anything new. It is just a public beta for related people to test and ensure stability etc... Consumers should not use these even though it is free. It is not an issue of Try before you die but more of understanding ehat you do. Well if you really want the latest, Pirated versions of unstable LongHorn is on sale around. Game to try that? I'd rather use a old OS as long as it remains stable...

RemAcuTetigisti said:
This is not anything new. It is just a public beta for related people to test and ensure stability etc... Consumers should not use these even though it is free. It is not an issue of Try before you die but more of understanding ehat you do. Well if you really want the latest, Pirated versions of unstable LongHorn is on sale around. Game to try that? I'd rather use a old OS as long as it remains stable...

Hi RemAcuTetigisti,

Thanks you for reminding me of the LongHorn version. I will sure go and get it to try. Actually due to my natural of job, I need to test as many OS as possible. Currently I am testing Windows 2003 Server and had become my company production Domain Controller, Exchange 2003 Server and DNS server.

Thanks for your concern, I have added in the warning sentance below my previous message so that ppt will think twice before install it. As for me , I know what I am doing so will try it out.

By the way, I am require to do a programming project using SMS data transmission but I do not have any knowledge on this area. Care to give me some guide?

Thank you very much :D

If the basic design of the operating system itself is flawed, we're only trying to patch things up with duct tape and chewing gum by these methods. If they had good OS design, you'd never have to run as administrator (how many of you guys running XP/2K/NT run as non-admin?), and if the system offers clean and effective separation of privileges, you'd never have a problem of email viruses. Network worms were caused by poor coding and flaws in implementation. Just look at their RPC-DCOM disaster.. badly coded networking code.

In our lab, everyone is expected to run a firewall such as zone alarm, sygate etc. A freshly installed PC is banned from being on the net (we have 600+ machines on our LAN). (Just put a new PC on the net and watch it die in a week - I've seen this happen to new laptops which were in the process of being patched). It's just a matter of time before the worms resurface in a different form, whether the PC has SP2 or not.

[footnote: in comparison, our solaris and linux servers have been chugging along just fine, they are our compute servers, file servers, mail servers, web servers etc].

which build is this? the latest is build 2120 according to here :)

sriram said:
If the basic design of the operating system itself is flawed, we're only trying to patch things up with duct tape and chewing gum by these methods. If they had good OS design, you'd never have to run as administrator (how many of you guys running XP/2K/NT run as non-admin?), and if the system offers clean and effective separation of privileges, you'd never have a problem of email viruses. Network worms were caused by poor coding and flaws in implementation. Just look at their RPC-DCOM disaster.. badly coded networking code.

In our lab, everyone is expected to run a firewall such as zone alarm, sygate etc. A freshly installed PC is banned from being on the net (we have 600+ machines on our LAN). (Just put a new PC on the net and watch it die in a week - I've seen this happen to new laptops which were in the process of being patched). It's just a matter of time before the worms resurface in a different form, whether the PC has SP2 or not.

[footnote: in comparison, our solaris and linux servers have been chugging along just fine, they are our compute servers, file servers, mail servers, web servers etc].

Despite saying all this, most pple still rate usability far above stability or security. Windows is getting better with their OS...give them time. Solaris and Linux have their vulnerabilities too.. try running a patch check on your solaris machine. But then again, isnt microsoft everyone's target.. Nowadays, every PC user have to develop good computing habits like consistent patching, having a anti-virus software and running a well configured firewall. It is a must nowadays.

Well,

Till now there are no such things as perfect OS or application and it will never have in future. Lots of ppt think that firewall can block hacker but little do they know it a matter of time it can be break through. Thus the real definition of firewall (be it hardware or software) should be it can only slow down hacker from breaking in.

Not matter how good is the OS is being design, there are still someone could mess with it.

Linux was claims to be virus proof as it was using Unix's design but now there are anti-virus software for Linux

The problem with Human is there we also want to come out with wonderful things but ends up creating other problem. DNA Genetic Enginnering is one good example. The invention of anti-bodies is another (human virus can attempt to survive with it) thus newer and powerful anti-bodies must be inverted.

VMS on your desk top, that's what I say! :D

Windows is just a collection of executable code, there's actually no system in there :devil:

hwchoy said:
VMS on your desk top, that's what I say! :D

Windows is just a collection of executable code, there's actually no system in there :devil:
Plus get the power of VMS Clustering. No need to reboot for the next 100 years.

Man i miss my VT320 terminal ! Especially the limited edition Blue Text Screen model.

Harlequin said:
Plus get the power of VMS Clustering. No need to reboot for the next 100 years.

Man i miss my VT320 terminal ! Especially the limited edition Blue Text Screen model.

I miss ReGIS programming :D :cheers: someone should send microsoft a B1-enhanced VAX ;p

hwchoy said:
I miss ReGIS programming :D :cheers: someone should send microsoft a B1-enhanced VAX ;p
And i miss my daisy wheel printer !

I never had a blue screen before till they invent Windows !

Patching a box means no reboot required.

I cannot imagine rebooting a VAX 9000-420. We can go la kopi for the next 2 hours !

:D

Harlequin said:
And i miss my daisy wheel printer !

I never had a blue screen before till they invent Windows !

Patching a box means no reboot required.

I cannot imagine rebooting a VAX 9000-420. We can go la kopi for the next 2 hours !

:D

did you worked on the UNIX systems? I didn't think systems like VMS can get virus, first of all you had to mess with the image checksum, second you have to get past the privilege kernel. what about UNIX-based systems?

then use VMS lor or any other UNIX platform lor..
I for one am not ashamed to say I love windows.. :)

hwchoy said:
did you worked on the UNIX systems? I didn't think systems like VMS can get virus, first of all you had to mess with the image checksum, second you have to get past the privilege kernel. what about UNIX-based systems?

Unix is easy, juz run as root and run a unverified binary from someone...... :bsmilie: If not, a client setup with only patched ssh running should be real secure. Main thing is user education :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.