Free Win XP Service Pack 2 to fight Viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarkForce said:
Hi jervislim,

If you always update your anti-virus pattern file and be alert on your system behaviour then you are 90% safe.

Viruses / Worm are becoming very intelligence. When they got into a PC, they will scan through the address and randomly pick two email out of it (one for the To field, one for the From field) Thus, maybe your friends might got a virus and the virus happen to pick your email from his address book and using your name to spread the virus to others. When the recipient server detect a virus, they are kind enought to reply the sender (in this case is you) a notification.

Therefore , there is nothing you can do abt it :D
Oh.... I see.
So practically there's nothing I can do bout this yet. I'll most probably be safe as long as I keep close monitor on my system behaviour?
Thanks so much guys!
Great and helpful ppl I can find in this wonderful CS community!

shutterbug said:
Incorrect, this version of SP2 is not BETA. It is Candidate 1. If eveything goes well, it should be exactly the same as final release. :)

Beta is totally a different thing.

Wat IF not everything goes well leh?? now wat? can turn back or not?? (really wanna give it a go but tz'ua ;p )

Anyone tried already?

y0gi0h said:
Wat IF not everything goes well leh?? now wat? can turn back or not?? (really wanna give it a go but tz'ua ;p )

Anyone tried already?

Well, I have installed SP2, so far so good. During the installation there is an option for you to backup OS files for uninstallation :)

Just done it!! :lovegrin:

(maybe I imagine thing, but my notebook seems to move slower after dat.. we shall see....)

2nd episode: right after I installed the SP2, I had encountered a bug in the Internet Explorer (which I had reported to MS). Next: uninstalled the SP2 :embrass:

Lesson: don't rush to "die" :bsmilie: wait for the finalised version.

Cheers!

y0gi0h said:
2nd episode: right after I installed the SP2, I had encountered a bug in the Internet Explorer (which I had reported to MS). Next: uninstalled the SP2 :embrass:

Lesson: don't rush to "die" :bsmilie: wait for the finalised version.

Cheers!

I have been diligently (fanatical, says my wife) updating all my patches and in fact Windows Update informs that I do not need any updates. IE works fine also.

hwchoy said:
I have been diligently (fanatical, says my wife) updating all my patches and in fact Windows Update informs that I do not need any updates. IE works fine also.

Probably we r talking abt different thing :dunno:
I did exactly what you did too until I installed the XP SP2 and then the IE behaves strangely. anyway, I am now back to what it was before and my notebook is now in perfect working order :thumbsup:

y0gi0h said:
Probably we r talking abt different thing :dunno:
I did exactly what you did too until I installed the XP SP2 and then the IE behaves strangely. anyway, I am now back to what it was before and my notebook is now in perfect working order :thumbsup:

Hmmm. my System still running fine. Maybe I am the Dark power to control the PC :devil:

This was extracted from 9down.com website

http://www.9down.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2872

Microsoft: SP2 Will Not Install on Pirated Copies of XP

Contrary to the remarks it made to the ComputerTimes, Microsoft now claims that it will not permit users who have obtained Windows XP illegally to upgrade to its latest service release. Instead, the software giant will continue to enforce compliance with its licensing.

In a nutshell, Microsoft group product manager Barry Goffe told ComputerTimes that Windows XP Service Pack 2 would not exclude pirated copies from upgrading, and that it was more important to keep user safe than to be "concerned about the revenue issue."

To clarify its position, a Microsoft spokesperson told BetaNews, "Press reports indicating Windows XP Service Pack 2 will install on pirated or illegal copies of Windows XP are not entirely true. Prior to installing, SP2 will check the OS' product ID (PID) against a list of known pirated PIDs. If a PID is found to be invalid, SP2 will not install."

BetaNews confirmed the accuracy of the spokesperson's statement with a source within the company.

"Microsoft's position with SP2 is no different than SP1, so no one should really be surprised that the update might not install on pirated Windows XP versions. Enabling the update for known leaked activation keys could foster more piracy, something Microsoft would want to prevent," said senior Jupiter Research senior analyst Joe Wilcox.

Wilcox noted however, that "it is not clear how many of the Windows XP PCs infected with worms or trojan horses -- software used to spread spam, hide spammers or launch denial of service attacks -- run pirated software. Withholding the update, even for good reason, could contribute to ongoing security problems affecting legitimate Microsoft customers."

Service Pack 2 has fortified Windows XP with a new mix of security features including: a new version of Internet Explorer, which for the first time includes a pop-up blocker and download manager; improved memory protection; e-mail safeguards for Outlook Express; the Windows Firewall; and new security settings for Windows Media Player 9.

Windows networking will see reduced privileges assigned to system services such as Remote Procedure Call (RPC), and Microsoft has redesigned its Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) by adding granular COM permissions.

Control over these new security features will be governed by the new Windows Security Center. Security Center checks for the third-party antivirus protection, manages automatic system updates and exerts control over the Windows Firewall.

A second release candidate of the service pack is slated for late May or early June, with RC3 also a possibility. The final release of Windows XP Service Pack 2 is expected to be completed by the end of the summer.

News source : betanews

Status
Not open for further replies.