Free tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian Teo

Dec 23, 2009
When i bought my 450D, the shop gave me a free tripod "Stein Z Eiser MOD:SZ-02".

After reading some of the posts in this forum, I understand that a inferior tripod may topple when the wind blows and damage the camera. Can anyone advice if the tripod I was given is of a decent quality, or should I go get a new tripod.

Thanks in advance

Ask yourself which company would give away a good and stable tripod for free? I have seen this brand 'Steinzeiser' also for cheap UV filters and other stuffs. My guess is that it is just an imitation of a German brand (there is Zeiss as famous maker of marvelous lenses and 'Stein' is a German word).
Test for yourself: setup the tripod, all legs fully extended, put your cam on top and see how stable it is. Go to some reputable shops and try the same with tripods from their shelf. Make your own judgment.

Its a "free gift" so do not expect too much out of it. I have used a "free gift" tripod before and i don't find anything wrong with it based on stability. That is unless your gear setup is very heavy. If you don't feel good about it, get yourself a better one. Otherwise for a "freegift" i think its pretty much usable even in strong wind condition as i have tried before. :)

not to say that it's a lousy tripod...just that i would't depend on it for dslr...compact pns maybe...

I am also using a steinzeiser tripod. it is a free gift too. I used it for my DSLR and I do not have any problems.

Its a "free gift" so do not expect too much out of it. I have used a "free gift" tripod before and i don't find anything wrong with it based on stability. That is unless your gear setup is very heavy. If you don't feel good about it, get yourself a better one. Otherwise for a "freegift" i think its pretty much usable even in strong wind condition as i have tried before. :)

Thanks. I also tried the free tripod and although it wasn't very stable, by the fact that it has 3-legs it didn't topple over. If anyone knows of (or heard of) a similar tripod actually toppling over please let me know. I don't want my camera damaged because of a free gift.

I thought a heavier camera will make the tripod more steady (unless the legs give way?).

either post it in WTS or just use it as a monopod...like some people do... :bsmilie:

I think it's not so much of an issue of a tripod toppling over, because of the 3 legged design as you mentioned, unless extreme strong wind condition?..it's more the stability or rigidness? (hope I use the right word) of the tripod. For example, imagine strong wind condition and how that the tripod will "wobble" if its not strong enough...and how that wobbling can affect the picture?

Last edited:
Thanks. I also tried the free tripod and although it wasn't very stable, by the fact that it has 3-legs it didn't topple over. If anyone knows of (or heard of) a similar tripod actually toppling over please let me know. I don't want my camera damaged because of a free gift.

I thought a heavier camera will make the tripod more steady (unless the legs give way?).

Its a common freebies thats given in camera purchase, it probably will not topple on its own , but under strong wind conditions , you will have camera shakes when doing long exposure shots.

Plus if you mount a VG , with flash and a heavy lens , its probably not going to be the best tripod that you want to use. You have spent close to a grand for a camera , I think you would want something more solid to hold up our camera right ? heh .

I have this tripod too as a free gift ,and noted all the observations I mentioned above when I was using it , have given it away and bought a Benro instead.

Juz to share,
I mount my DSLR on my free tripod, but I found it very difficult to get the angle I want because the mounting head could not hold weight of my camera and lens.
I ended up buying an affordable Benro Ex550 with KB-0A head at $195. Which I think is a really good deal. I am happy with my tripod now.

i myself also got the same tripod when i purchased my D5000...

its quite prone to shakes from strong winds...and the maximum load is only up to 800++ grams..thus i guess it we are using heavier lenses then we would have to actually get a better tripod...

do you remember sec sch physics.

heavier camera will simply raise the cg, as the weight is centred higher now.

when your cg exceeds the base, i.e. where the three legs splay out.. then it will topple

as for a camera making the whole thing give way and do a split like a ballerina.. i don't think that has ever happened.

word of advice, even if you get the most expensive gitzo tripod.. you should never trust a tripod 100% - all it takes is strong enough wind.

do you remember sec sch physics.

heavier camera will simply raise the cg, as the weight is centred higher now.

when your cg exceeds the base, i.e. where the three legs splay out.. then it will topple

as for a camera making the whole thing give way and do a split like a ballerina.. i don't think that has ever happened.

word of advice, even if you get the most expensive gitzo tripod.. you should never trust a tripod 100% - all it takes is strong enough wind.

Heavy camera should not shift the CG beyond the base unless the lens is super long and heavy. But good point, perhaps I can try hanging a weighted object (eg camera bag) to lower the tripod's CG and make it more stable.

Heavy camera should not shift the CG beyond the base unless the lens is super long and heavy. But good point, perhaps I can try hanging a weighted object (eg camera bag) to lower the tripod's CG and make it more stable.

Make sure it touches the ground. Otherwise it starts swinging and brings additional vibrations to the tripod - defeating the purpose of it.

When i bought my 450D, the shop gave me a free tripod "Stein Z Eiser MOD:SZ-02".

After reading some of the posts in this forum, I understand that a inferior tripod may topple when the wind blows and damage the camera. Can anyone advice if the tripod I was given is of a decent quality, or should I go get a new tripod.

Thanks in advance

the creaking plastics don't fill me with confidence :)
I use my free one to mount my speedlight remotely.

The top of the tripod, where the quick-release plate mounts to, allows the camera to be mounted in portrait/landscape orientation. The problem is that when at rest in landscape orientation, the camera doesn't end up horizontal. Thus I have to adjust the 3 legs in a trial-and-error to get the camera level. It's damn frustrating.

of course it will not

but it will make it easier for that to happen,

i.e. a smaller moment is needed for your tripod to topple :)

Status
Not open for further replies.