Free Photographer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
In the hike of view on the latest hype in finding FOC photographers.

Just really wondering, is there really a budget for a photographer or there isn't?

I mean the money might have been *ahem* by the organiser?

You won't plan an event without calculating your expected expenses and plan for a photographer last right?

Any HR personnel can comment? Like the money to be paid is normally done via petty cash claims so there's no hardcopy evidence?

Just really wondering because I find 'low budget' or 'no budget' very weird. If you can think of a photographer, you should already have the intention to hire one.

And if payments are done by petty cash, there's no stopping of the person-in-charge to draw out the petty cash and look for free one. Right?

Constructive comments only please, no banal, no flames needed.

My guess is many HR management do not know the market price for hiring photographers. So when they see the quotation offered by photographers, they got a 'cultural shock' and hence mentioned 'Low-Budget' or 'No Budget' in their search of a 'vege-head' photographer.

This is happening cos most of the time...the photographer is way down on the list in organising the event. I faced the same thing with my company recent D&D. When come to photographer...they wanted the cheapest...or free lah...guess it boils down to the mindset and general perspective of the organiser on photography.

For anything, of course free is better. I mean if you are drawing up the budget, and you think to yourself "Hmm I need a photographer, now lets see how much it costs...hey here's this place with free ones! Lets fill in the budget sheet - Photographer S$0.00"

Sometimes also, photographer/videographer gets forgotten so the HR person will go "Oops forgot to get photographer...how? No budget, should I get my staff to use their pocket digicam?. Wait a minute, here's a free hobbyist with his (d)SLR - can't be worse than my staff?" and there it goes.

An ex-colleague of mine wanted to hire me to take the official opening of their company last Friday. After stating my price (S$360) between 8am to 12pm, she said she will take snap shots with her P&S camera and upload in their company newsletter instead. She is the Admin Manager.

As she is a close friend, i got no hard feelings at all.

Just an illustration of the current market situation for photographers

You are lucky. I was asked to be the photographer for my company's D&D for FREE. I told them I was not free and they finally agreed to give me parking and a day off. They spend $20,000 for the event and hiring a photogrrapher is not in the list....can you believe it. I believe that there is a budget for a photographer set aside. But if you can get it for free then they will use the money for something else....whatever it may be.

Or how abt next time all of us gang up, da next chap who asks for free or cheap photographers will get what they want... :think:

Really cheap photo quality.... hehehee.... ;p

U want cheap-cheap, give u cheap-cheap.
U willing to pay, ppl willing to do swee-swee.

Rite, switch to manual mode and take portraits with infinity setting. Ha ha ha, give them cheap, blurred images.

espn said:
In the hike of view on the latest hype in finding FOC photographers.

Just really wondering, is there really a budget for a photographer or there isn't?

I mean the money might have been *ahem* by the organiser?

You won't plan an event without calculating your expected expenses and plan for a photographer last right?

Any HR personnel can comment? Like the money to be paid is normally done via petty cash claims so there's no hardcopy evidence?

Just really wondering because I find 'low budget' or 'no budget' very weird. If you can think of a photographer, you should already have the intention to hire one.

And if payments are done by petty cash, there's no stopping of the person-in-charge to draw out the petty cash and look for free one. Right?

Constructive comments only please, no banal, no flames needed.

disbursements through petty cash will need documentation. eg, in this instance, the service provider will need to sign the petty cash voucher. in it, the nature of the service, quantum paid, receipient's details, etc are put
down. the organizing committee comprise of individuals with specific responsibilities for each. so, committee member A is responsible for publicity, including hiring photographer. the chairman of the org committee is accountable for all expenses and with necessary authority. he needs to approve such payments before petty cashier will disburse to photographer. not from A to photographer directly. these are proper control procedures. in reality, people tend to deviate from them. this is where auditors come in.

hopes it gives another view.

jsbn said:
Or how abt next time all of us gang up, da next chap who asks for free or cheap photographers will get what they want... :think:

:bsmilie: agreed.....pay peanuts you get peanuts. Don't pay even a signle peanut ones, you get a low end handphone wif camera function like t68i and go shoot the event with the "blur blur" 640*480 resolution. But if its truly for a charity purpose or event, then it another thing liao.

another view to this could be the company hire an event company to manage everything. the event company look for free photographer so that their expenses (which affect profits) would be lower.

reachme2003 said:
disbursements through petty cash will need documentation. eg, in this instance, the service provider will need to sign the petty cash voucher. in it, the nature of the service, quantum paid, receipient's details, etc are put
down. the organizing committee comprise of individuals with specific responsibilities for each. so, committee member A is responsible for publicity, including hiring photographer. the chairman of the org committee is accountable for all expenses and with necessary authority. he needs to approve such payments before petty cashier will disburse to photographer. not from A to photographer directly. these are proper control procedures. in reality, people tend to deviate from them. this is where auditors come in.

hopes it gives another view.

I know how you folks feel, I've also ever been approached by my HR before to take photos for our DnD onboard a vessel, after quoting them $4xx. My HR exclaimed "Wow.. well, after we buy the prizes, we don't have cash left already, free cannot?"

I was... "no can do, equipment depreciates".

I did take my camera along when I went for the DnD. Just to spite them. Of course I didn't take any. Hehe.

vince123123: Maybe we should call this place Sesame St instead. It would be easier to deter people to look for FOC photographers. :bsmilie:

reachme2003: What if the person is of high rank, let's say a manager or GM? Or maybe even the president/CEO?? In an organising committee, there should be at least a managerial position person to over see the budget & such. Would that be a possible way to bypass protocol?

Xpose said:
:bsmilie: agreed.....pay peanuts you get peanuts. Don't pay even a signle peanut ones, you get a low end handphone wif camera function like t68i and go shoot the event with the "blur blur" 640*480 resolution. But if its truly for a charity purpose or event, then it another thing liao.

I disgree. Free or cheap doesn't mean lousy quality. Some photographers do it for the passion and love of photography and not for the monetary gains. Also some of the staff can actually take photos than the so called "pros" or at least a standard required by the events. In fact, what they are looking for is a documentary record of the event not some creative, awarding-winning shots.

i think and i strongly support our forum to ban those who try to exploit our benefit....here i got some suggestion about some standard charges for pro photog and semi pro and freelance.

if pro and who had good profile, we should charge SG350-400 per event.
semi pro - SG250-300
amatuer who had good photo skill/ at least reasonable port folio - SG150 with some appreciation gift.

is it sound reasonable to all of you?

kimu

I tink we photographers get to choose clients as well so its vice versa. A fren of mine ask me to take her grad photographs. She studied Theology from Trinity Theological College. As you know, Thelogians do not earn much as compared to other professions.

Hence, i offered free service but she will developed the prints herself. She will pay only for the cost of developing.

In this case, i do it out of a favor and emphathy, not to spoil market or (zou pai han zhem)

Kimura_papaya said:
i think and i strongly support our forum to ban those who try to exploit our benefit....here i got some suggestion about some standard charges for pro photog and semi pro and freelance.

if pro and who had good profile, we should charge SG350-400 per event.
semi pro - SG250-300
amatuer who had good photo skill/ at least reasonable port folio - SG150 with some appreciation gift.

is it sound reasonable to all of you?

kimu

Newbies looking for opportunity to practise will never have a chance to shoot then.

espn said:
reachme2003: What if the person is of high rank, let's say a manager or GM? Or maybe even the president/CEO?? In an organising committee, there should be at least a managerial position person to over see the budget & such. Would that be a possible way to bypass protocol?

control procedures are applicable to all, regardless of seniority. eg. if the GM submits a claim, he should not approve it despite having authority to approve or authority for much larger sums. in this instance, someone else with the necessary authority approve his(GM) claim.

xmen2003 said:
I disgree. Free or cheap doesn't mean lousy quality. Some photographers do it for the passion and love of photography and not for the monetary gains. Also some of the staff can actually take photos than the so called "pros" or at least a standard required by the events. In fact, what they are looking for is a documentary record of the event not some creative, awarding-winning shots.

yes, love and passion is one thing but being exploited is another thing which I feel that most pple would mind. How would you feel if you help someone to shoot an event for free and later he/she sell the photos for a profit? Or he/she enter a competition using your work and win the competition and gets all the limelight and glamour while you can only sulk at home watch he/she claiming all your credits? Its the same thing with all the music artist and their album, please protect your own intellectual property. Be H.I.P, Honour Intellectual Property

don't "advertise" your photo hobby or equipment in office. Else,

people (management) will somehow think of you as a "free" inhouse photog :think: , if you decline, you might get labelled as "atitude" problem :nono:

Then there those who want to borrow your equipment; :dunno:

or those expect you to shoot their weddings (or other family events} for free.. :sticktong

jsbn said:

Haha :D

Don have to lower our own skill quality la. Cheap can use cheaper P&S camera, and keep your expensive DSLR for better deal.
Try to take your best shot with a P&S cam, but if pictures turns out not too good is not your skill, is the limitation of equipment. If it turns out not bad, then good for them and that means your skill is v "powderful". hehe.. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.