FREE MRT RIDE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yappy

May 30, 2004
...free MRT rides than who pay?

........ Tax payer?

ERP take a bit. COE take a bit. ARF take a bit. Summons take a bit. Road tax take a bit. If they siao siao increase public transport fare, can also take a bit.

In the end, just need to cover running costs only. Sure can one. Don't even need to take for GST and income tax. Haha!

Nonetheless, strategically, this may be a positive thing, as this is, honestly, another means to channel resources to the lower income groups - you don't think the richer folks will wake up earlier to take a free train ride, do you?

cks2k2 said:
YES they would.

I am not even rich, and I know I won't be waking up any earlier.

If you think so, well, I don't think I can or need to convince otherwise anyway.

I am not even rich, and I know I won't be waking up any earlier.

If you think so, well, I don't think I can or need to convince otherwise anyway.

Don't underestimate how penny-pinching some rich folks are. :cool:

cks2k2 said:
YES they would.

Only SOME will. And by and large when they realise they need to squeeze with others to get that free train ride they might go back to driving their cars.

........ Tax payer?

Want free medical care... free housing... free MRT/Bus ride... free this, free that... well, $$$$ must come from somewhere... :think:

Want free medical care... free housing... free MRT/Bus ride... free this, free that... well, $$$$ must come from somewhere... :think:

But then want lower gst, lower coe, lower income tax...

our government has other sources of revenue not from taxation of citizens.

eg, Maritime and Port authority collect taxes in the region of hundreds of millions per year levied on ships entering and exiting our Port...

also, there is consistently a budget surplus where the State's revenue exceeds expenditures.

This is evident even on a micro level. Several fruit-related (the yahaya) party constituencies / town councils have to expend their surplus for the sake of expending it, resulting in mindlessly carried out "improvement works" , eg painting 2 completed sets of 5yr-depreciating paint within half a year.

We have to expand our mindset that we are not limited to purely taxation of the residents / citizens as a source of the State's revenue.

Dr Janil Puthucheary proposed this.

He was born in MLY.

He became a SG citizen in 2008. When he was 35.

He did not serve NS.

He could have chosen to become a SG citizen when he was younger and deemed able to serve NS. But he chose not to, at that time.

His father was a founding member of incumbent party. (under ISA for a while).

In 2011 after a short invitation to run, he suddenly became your MP. Out of the blue. A person who a short time ago, was a MLY citizen.

Is SG really so short of talent that we need to have instant MPs from other countries' former citizens?

There are many others.

Last edited:

........ Tax payer?

When SMRT make profits, tax payer also pay for their bonus.

SMRT make a lot of money from advertisments.

Giving free ride during non peak hour is a logical thing to do.

our government has other sources of revenue not from taxation of citizens.

eg, Maritime and Port authority collect taxes in the region of hundreds of millions per year levied on ships entering and exiting our Port...

also, there is consistently a budget surplus where the State's revenue exceeds expenditures.

This is evident even on a micro level. Several fruit-related (the yahaya) party constituencies / town councils have to expend their surplus for the sake of expending it, resulting in mindlessly carried out "improvement works" , eg painting 2 completed sets of 5yr-depreciating paint within half a year.

We have to expand our mindset that we are not limited to purely taxation of the residents / citizens as a source of the State's revenue.

I heard from friends, who relatives work in government agencies.
They got lots of money to send staff oversea for "study trips" in Europe, all expenses paid by tax payers.
It is like free holiday.

wait... correct me if i'm wrong.... but isn't SMRT supposed to be Publicly listed? government firms i.e. those maintained by tax payers' monies cannot be listed on the stock exchange.

kei1309 said:
wait... correct me if i'm wrong.... but isn't SMRT supposed to be Publicly listed? government firms i.e. those maintained by tax payers' monies cannot be listed on the stock exchange.

The government routinely gives companies and SMEs money for this and that.

Talk is free . If only SMRT belong to government. If I am The shareholder in SMRT , I will get panicky if my earning is reduce

One thing I don't really understand with all these privatization of public services such as transport is. Why should we ensure the profit of the investor of a monopolized service?

This is a win win biz and yet basic standard cannot achieve. Where to find in this world? In my layman opinion, the shareholders profit must be capped. Any anything above that, distribute back. That is, max their return to say 4% including asset appreciation.

sorry the only thing Public about this Public Transport Company is being Publicly listed :p

it is in no way anything to do with being government firm :(

Worse still its main shareholder, Tumorsick Holdings, persistently requires revenue and profit growth...
Guess who bears the brunt!

As for why are monopolistic / oligopolistic companies being "privatised"...one has to look at who the largest shareholder is...and who owns or runs the largest shareholder... hmmm ?

sorry the only thing Public about this Public Transport Company is being Publicly listed :p

it is in no way anything to do with being government firm :(

Worse still its main shareholder, Tumorsick Holdings, persistently requires revenue and profit growth...
Guess who bears the brunt!

As for why are monopolistic / oligopolistic companies being "privatised"...one has to look at who the largest shareholder is...and who owns or runs the largest shareholder... hmmm ?

yup, so for those who say that the tax payers pay directly for their (SMRT's) bonuses, i don't know where they pulled that one from. all operating profits come from them alone.

and if the PTCs are absorbed back in to government hands, guess who will then be bearing the brunt of the costs for maintenance and upgrading.

Dr Janil Puthucheary proposed this.

He was born in MLY.

He became a SG citizen in 2008. When he was 35.

He did not serve NS.

He could have chosen to become a SG citizen when he was younger and deemed able to serve NS. But he chose not to, at that time.

His father was a founding member of incumbent party. (under ISA for a while).

In 2011 after a short invitation to run, he suddenly became your MP. Out of the blue. A person who a short time ago, was a MLY citizen.

Is SG really so short of talent that we need to have instant MPs from other countries' former citizens?

There are many others.
The train of thought here is darting from track to track with nearly every alternate paragraph. Pretty cool. Thanks for the mental gymnastics. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.