Free MRT ride before 7.45am

wonder will that help in car jam too?

wonder will that help in car jam too?

I believe that if people give up driving and take MRT, it will ease the jam too :)

This is wonderful news for all of us :)

Not so fast. Don't be too happy.
After a while, SMRT may announce they need to apply to PTC to raise MRT fares.
Why? Because of significant loss of revenue due to the free rides; hence the rest of you who travel after 7.45am will have to pay more.

Why? Because of significant loss of revenue due to the free rides; hence the rest of you who travel after 7.45am will have to pay more.

you do realize that people will start jamming into the trains before 7.45am, and will cause overloading and crowding?

then people will be complaining of the even more jammed free trains before 7.45am.

but heck, they'll still save a little

The cost of the free rides will be borned by the government, costing them $10m a year. Anyway, LTA stated that it is only on 1 year trial to see the effectiveness.

However, the cost of $10m spent by the governement is from the taxpayers, isn't it?

The cost of the free rides will be borned by the government, costing them $10m a year. Anyway, LTA stated that it is only on 1 year trial to see the effectiveness.

However, the cost of $10m spent by the governement is from the taxpayers, isn't it?

by the people, for the people ;)

A bit excessive to give free rides but lets read all the details before commenting. Understand stat boards also have changed their working hours.

Isn't that is what taxes are used for?

Taxes is also used for supporting an Armed Forces to defend you... a Police Force to protect you... a Civil Defense Force to keep you safe... and another ten of thousands other thing... :think:

While I support the idea of using tax money to ease the problem of overcrowding onboard trains during peak hour... I'm equally fearfully that S'poreans will begin to see this as a sort of "Entitlement"... in some ways... I rather the $$$ was spent on Healthcare instead.... but that's just me... :think:

Hmm...
If you can think of it, I think the scholars can also think of it. :D

"We will raise fares after 7.45am to encourage commuters to travel early and take advantage of free fares before 7.45am"
:D

Taxes is also used for supporting an Armed Forces to defend you... a Police Force to protect you... a Civil Defense Force to keep you safe... and another ten of thousands other thing... :think:

While I support the idea of using tax money to ease the problem of overcrowding onboard trains during peak hour... I'm equally fearfully that S'poreans will begin to see this as a sort of "Entitlement"... in some ways... I rather the $$$ was spent on Healthcare instead.... but that's just me... :think:

you don't have to be fearful... they already think that they deserve everything in the world :bsmilie:

you don't have to be fearful... they already think that they deserve everything in the world :bsmilie:

Yeah... I also Surf in EDMW at HardwareZone... after reading some of those threads... how I wish we have some sort of Concentration/Re-Education Camp for this people... North Korean style.

To think that people demanding 'Entitlement' based NOT on Hard Work and/or Contributions... but by Birth alone ?? :think:

As any male S'porean who had served their National Service... of course I expect a certain among of Benefits and Entitlements as a Citizen, in the form of Housing, Medical, Education...etc benefits. But not to the point where if my daughter didn't do well enough for a medical course in NUS (4A and 1B iirc).. I go blame everyone else but my little 'darling' girl.

Sorry... I'm the Pre-Color TV generation... where we are taught that no one owe you anything and its your own hardwork that will provide for you... that you are only entitled to as much as you are contributing in return...

amazing..... got free train rides still got people suspicious, conspiracy-theory , whining and complaining

Last edited: