Free Model shoots for your portfolio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModelBooker

Mar 2, 2005
Dear Photographers,

We are offering a FOC shoot for the new models intake. You are allowed to use it as your portfolio. its a win-win situation where the mdoels get the picture and you get to update the portfolio.

make up and outfit is provided.

requirement: to provide 2 sets of pic to me and the model with cd.

interested?
pls email me your work, contact no : booking@markchowmodels.com.sg

Urm, just wondering, why do you need one set of the pics? The models are the ones who are posing and the portfolio is thers isn't it? :dunno:

I guess it will be our portfolio as photographer and theirs as model agency.

Then it's not TFCD already? :dunno:

Thought the exchange here is between the model & photographer?

"Free Model shoots for your portfolio" was the title I believe.

ModelBooker said:
We are offering a FOC shoot for the new models intake. You are allowed to use it as your portfolio. its a win-win situation where the mdoels get the picture and you get to update the portfolio.
It's FOC, the models are new, we train them, they get pictures for portfolio and we get ours, but why does the agency needs them. That's puzzling me. I don't see how the agency comes into the FOC shoot? :confused:

here we go again :sticktong

never ending stories here :cry:

why shoot leh? pro not interested, only newbies. when model are new, photographer are new, i wonder......................

smurfman said:
here we go again :sticktong

never ending stories here :cry:

why shoot leh? pro not interested, only newbies. when model are new, photographer are new, i wonder......................
Problem is new photographers without portfolio cannot email so they won't get to shoot. Then this mdoel shoot isn't free for all, it's only for people with portfolio. Which finally boils down to defeating the purpose of having a free shoot for all when the agency is going to use the images and select it's photographers. :)

espn said:
Problem is new photographers without portfolio cannot email so they won't get to shoot. Then this mdoel shoot isn't free for all, it's only for people with portfolio. Which finally boils down to defeating the purpose of having a free shoot for all when the agency is going to use the images and select it's photographers. :)

thats rite, when pro want to shoot, but model no experience, i wonder.......... :confused:

then new photographers want to shoot, but agency want to see portfolio, i wonder........ :confused:

then agency say win win for all, model get cds, agency get cds, photographer gets portfolio........i wonder.... :confused:

hey guys,
im not taking sides here but just to let you know a little about how model agencies work..

when i first started out with an agency (a reputable one by the way, part of the models association now as well), i had ZERO experience, the agency managed to land me a TFP shoot with a photographer who shoots for Blu Inc group (at that time known as MPH magazines). The digital pictures were passed to agency but because during the shoot i made contact with the photographer, he passed me hard copies in person. also because sometimes it is easier to liase with the model about picking up these kinda things instead of having the photographer go all the way to the agency jus to give photos.

other times that agencies arranged TFP shoots for me, the photographer sent the CD to the agency instead of going directly to me. that is because both parties allowed the agency to make arrangements, liasing etc

sometimes though, the agency makes "introductions" between model and photographer looking for tfps. then the coordination will go on between the model and photographer

agencies are "middle men", therefore if they help the model get to the photographer it is only ethical that all transactions go thru them. especially if they are signing the model on contract.
the agencies are doing the coordinating for the models, making phone calls, making sure the model turns up for the shoot, arranging for makeup artist, wardrobe.
from the models point of view, the agency is the one who makes sure the CD gets to them.(they might be thinking "what if photographer plays me out?") the agency helps them to arrange for photographers, makeup artists. definetly they will expect the agency to get the photos for them, print composite cards, arrange portfolio.. the agency also makes sure the photographs dont get used for illicit or commercial purposes.. so actually the agency does lots of work!

this cd thing is just a little issue, dont blow it up. they're just doing their job u know

silverfrond said:
hey guys,
im not taking sides here but just to let you know a little about how model agencies work..

when i first started out with an agency (a reputable one by the way, part of the models association now as well), i had ZERO experience, the agency managed to land me a TFP shoot with a photographer who shoots for Blu Inc group (at that time known as MPH magazines). The digital pictures were passed to agency but because during the shoot i made contact with the photographer, he passed me hard copies in person. also because sometimes it is easier to liase with the model about picking up these kinda things instead of having the photographer go all the way to the agency jus to give photos.

other times that agencies arranged TFP shoots for me, the photographer sent the CD to the agency instead of going directly to me. that is because both parties allowed the agency to make arrangements, liasing etc

sometimes though, the agency makes "introductions" between model and photographer looking for tfps. then the coordination will go on between the model and photographer

agencies are "middle men", therefore if they help the model get to the photographer it is only ethical that all transactions go thru them. especially if they are signing the model on contract.
the agencies are doing the coordinating for the models, making phone calls, making sure the model turns up for the shoot, arranging for makeup artist, wardrobe.
from the models point of view, the agency is the one who makes sure the CD gets to them.(they might be thinking "what if photographer plays me out?") the agency helps them to arrange for photographers, makeup artists. definetly they will expect the agency to get the photos for them, print composite cards, arrange portfolio.. the agency also makes sure the photographs dont get used for illicit or commercial purposes.. so actually the agency does lots of work!

this cd thing is just a little issue, dont blow it up. they're just doing their job u know

As an experience pro model like you, no doubt you have been manage well by the agency that you are with now.

From a photographers point of view, it's a different story.......depends on which agency you are shooting for. Contributing to agencies like Phamtom, Diva, Elite, Mannequin modelling agencies are ok. At least they are reputable plus your photos are circulate wider audience.

Godzilla Invades said:
As an experience pro model like you, no doubt you have been manage well by the agency that you are with now.

From a photographers point of view, it's a different story.......depends on which agency you are shooting for. Contributing to agencies like Phamtom, Diva, Elite, Mannequin modelling agencies are ok. At least they are reputable plus your photos are circulate wider audience.

do you see such agencies approaching 'photographers' in this manner?

putting aside the agency and its mgt in question, on the surface, the deal looks balanced. photographers pays no out-of-pocket expenses like mua and hairstyist(i think) and get to use for their portfolios. models gets a cd and use for their comp cards/portfolios.

the issue here is agency asks for a cd too. too much? unreasonable?

the agency takes on the task of 'selecting' photographers. again, unreasonable? too much? if you run an agency, would you also not want to see their works first for the purpose of shortlisting. i think it is to ensure that the end results are acceptable for their use in their business. after all, their comp cards carry the agency's name too.

Ups for ModelBooker. :thumbsup:
Hope I can join in and learn cause I'm still new. :sweat:

I guess the main thing is for ModelBooker to ensure that there are no nasty surprises i.e. all expected costs for the shoot have been laid out....

i also hope to join the shoot. actually, i had a frenz who is with the agency. i get to know her during such shoot. it is not so bad as in like wad espn says. (i mean no harm =)

in fact that time i onli has little photo but they still like mi shoot

what's the big deal here? this is a normal situation, if you want models for your portfolios it's a good thing to go and do some trade for print/cd shoots.

mattlock said:
what's the big deal here? this is a normal situation, if you want models for your portfolios it's a good thing to go and do some trade for print/cd shoots.
I am not taking side, but to be frank, there are some bad blood between the OP and some ppl on the board, that's all, simple as that. I think the exchange is fair, TF@set of prints/CD, but we do not have to pay MUA ... only on caveat, the agency will probably wants the right to use the prints ... however, just ask, how may of us hee ever got anything printed or published ... as long as the photographer gets the credit for taking the picture, I have no problem if the agency uses the prints as they see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.