Free guides/mags

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooQy

Feb 12, 2009
SG
I'm seeing more and more ppl joining the forum and asking on guidance on digital photography. In bad times like now, saving every cent counts....

Personally, I have some eBooks that I would like to share. However, i'm not sure if posting them here would infringe any copyright issues.

Other than guides, i also have magazines:
  • Popular Photography Magazine (Link)
  • American Photo Magazine

Maybe the MOD can comment on this?

1. Yes, there's copyright infringement.

2. The only reason why they ask for guidance is because they were too lazy to read through the Newbies Guide to Photography stickies in the Newbies section, and just decided to ask to be spoonfed.

Generally, copying and uploading commercial publications *will* be copyright infringement. The terms are usually somewhere on the inside of the cover, saying something to the effect that no portion of this publication may be copied or digitally reproducted without the written permission of the copyright holder.

I think there are quite a number of resources available online, too. Maybe a bunch of newbie-friendly links would be better?

Generally, copying and uploading commercial publications *will* be copyright infringement. The terms are usually somewhere on the inside of the cover, saying something to the effect that no portion of this publication may be copied or digitally reproducted without the written permission of the copyright holder.

I think there are quite a number of resources available online, too. Maybe a bunch of newbie-friendly links would be better?

heh... unless upload to file hosting sites and shared via PMs.
Overseas monthly mags are quite exp here.

1. Yes, there's copyright infringement.

2. The only reason why they ask for guidance is because they were too lazy to read through the Newbies Guide to Photography stickies in the Newbies section, and just decided to ask to be spoonfed.

note taken for point 1.
For point 2... well, i reserve my comments on that since i'm also a newb~ :bsmilie:

you can post up all the guides you want, the people who read this thread will likely be those who generally like to find information by themselves, rather than the ones who happily start a thread for anything and everything they encounter a problem with.

you can post up all the guides you want, the people who read this thread will likely be those who generally like to find information by themselves, rather than the ones who happily start a thread for anything and everything they encounter a problem with.

Not really guides.. but more of like reference books?
Rather than spend $ to buy from book stores.

Not really guides.. but more of like reference books?
Rather than spend $ to buy from book stores.

there is also the option of the national library, which really has a fantastic collection of photography books. :)

anyways, a mixture is best, there is a difference viewing photographs on a computer screen, and in print. try it and you'll see what i mean. :)

to be fair to the newbies(like me)... sometimes try very hard to search thru the forum..and when find a thread on a certain topic that we are looking for,it may contain tens of pages and there are normally many irrelevant comments(making reading thru the whole thread a chore)...

to make things worse...at the end of all the pages,sometimes the question even wasn't even answered:bsmilie:

still i will like to look thru all the threads and post before posting a new thread asking questions(just in case there's already a thread on it)

Last edited:
if you were to post just a small part of the ebook, it shouldnt be a problem if you quote the source.

it will only be infringing big copyright problems if you post the whole thing and taking it as your work

Probably I should rephrase...

The material i wish to share are reference books or magazines... the normal material you'll find in bookstores. Not really considered guides.

IMO, the stickies (GUIDES) in this Newbie section are very well written and compiled and should be more than sufficient for a true noob to start out with. (those with zero knowledge on photography)

Yes i totally agree that the experience of reading from a computer screen and from a physical book is VERY different. But for the bunch who can save some $$ and pump into their equipment, why not? :bsmilie:

I guess I'll let this thread speak for itself... if ppl can find it and requests, i'll do my part.

Thanks for those who have shown their support.

to be fair to the newbies(like me)... sometimes try very hard to search thru the forum..and when find a thread on a certain topic that we are looking for,it may contain tens of pages and there are normally many irrelevant comments(making reading thru the whole thread a chore)...
This is EXACTLY the reason why people should not anyhow create new threads for every little question, especially if the answer is available with just a bit of personal effort + Google. e.g. how many d90 vs d300 threads do we need?

Having 50 incomplete threads on the same topic makes it harder for a self-motivated person to find their own answers. So they feel the best way to get an answer is to create a new thread and ask again.

Downward spiral.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.