Foveon

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaotic

Feb 14, 2002
Hi all,

I was at a talk by the chairman and founder of the Foveon company. I was impressed by the new technology improvements over the CCD. I didn't know until now that CCD interpolates the RGB to guess at the actual image and does not read the values for every pixel while Foveon does. He announced that a new Sigma camera with the Foveon will be released in May. It will be under $3000US. WOW. Looks like most of us do not have that much money to spare but well, it will drop, like most technological products. Would you buy it?

It's fantastic that we're seeing all this new technology, but given that you will be stuck with the Sigma SA lens mount (and having had some very interesting experiences with Sigma lenses) I feel US$3K is a real waste for such a product. Sigma is big when it comes to third party lenses, but I somehow doubt this SLR will be a success unless they drastically reduce the price.

Originally posted by sriram
It's fantastic that we're seeing all this new technology, but given that you will be stuck with the Sigma SA lens mount (and having had some very interesting experiences with Sigma lenses) I feel US$3K is a real waste for such a product. Sigma is big when it comes to third party lenses, but I somehow doubt this SLR will be a success unless they drastically reduce the price.

Yes, but those photo newbies and tech freaks who have just a DC might not have the relevant experience about this. Believe me, the tech freak crowd is big, and their spending power is massive (not to mention stupid; fools and money are the words that come to mind). The SD9 is Sigma's big gamble, and it might just pay off.

Originally posted by YSLee

Yes, but those photo newbies and tech freaks who have just a DC might not have the relevant experience about this. Believe me, the tech freak crowd is big, and their spending power is massive (not to mention stupid; fools and money are the words that come to mind). The SD9 is Sigma's big gamble, and it might just pay off.
Sound familiar........

Talking abt yourself?
Hehheeee....

Heard that Sigma USA is willing to change the mount of those having diff mount to the Sigma. Ie... A canon mount Sigma len swap with a Sima mount one! With this, the gamble may just pay
off !

Originally posted by Bluestrike

Heard that Sigma USA is willing to change the mount of those having diff mount to the Sigma. Ie... A canon mount Sigma len swap with a Sima mount one! With this, the gamble may just pay off !

Wasn't rueyloon speculating that the double mount of the Sigma SA mount might lead to mount adaptors?

I still remember the time years ago in the 70s when Canon was a nobody and when Pentax, Minolta and Olympus ruled.... alongside Nikon.

If this technology really kicks, good for Sigma and photography in general.

ed

Originally posted by ed9119
I still remember the time years ago in the 70s when Canon was a nobody and when Pentax, Minolta and Olympus ruled.... alongside Nikon.

If this technology really kicks, good for Sigma and photography in general.
ed

Even before that time Canon had some pretty cool rangefinders with excellent lenses. Serenar I think. Their manual cameras had excellent lenses also. I still have a 50/1.4 FD which is my fav lens till date... use on my A1.

BUT.... Sigma's reputation start off in the mud. My early experience with Sigma lenses is terrible. One lens I used was a 70-x00(?) UC XYZ somethin which is actually held together by TAPE. Yes Im not joking... see if you can find some old sigma lenses and youll know what I mean. Lightly press the front element and the whole thing will go inside. My 24/2.8 AF lens motor died 3 times and I sold it off . The bl**dy Sigma repair in Sg takes weeks. I also used a 28-70/2.8 zoom on a F90x but it is a flare monster.

If a company has such a history (at one point Sigma meant SIGnificant MAlfunction) I dun expect a big following unless the new digital crowd are clueless newbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.