Foveon X3 sensor user thread

It shows that the True Engine-II fares much better in handling dark shadow, I did not see any green dot in dark area, which is very good as compare to DP1 and SD14.

Sigma (with reference to True-I series) gives more green dots in very dark shadow, thus when you upped the X3, you see dots.

The details the DP2s can capture are quite something although the WB can be a bit tricky. All taken RAW and processed in the pretty good SPP4.

A warm welcome by babykailan, on Flickr

I would like to add on that Foveon (True-I and True-II) full color vibrancy drops at iso400 and above. Thus one will find that color as nice as Bayer. That is where camera rotation comes in if iso cannot be controlled.

Another Sigma DP2s user reporting in.. got the VF from babykailan, thanks bro!

Here's a few shots:

Those are compressed JPGs so the details might not pop out but the sharpness and amount of details captured is truly amazing for this little camera.

Agreed with one of the bros above, you really need to time and prepare for the shot beforehand and not just snap snap snap snap snap.

PS: What are you guys using for the SDHC card? I'm using a Transcend Class 10 SDHC 8GB card and writing seems a tad slower than a Sandisk Extreme III Class 6 8GB though. But it's much cheaper @ SGD$32.. while the 16GB card is about SGD$55. Transfer rates are decent and above most Class 2/4 cards out there - sustained at about 16+ MB/s (using a Lenovo's laptop built-in card reader, I'm sure it can go higher)

On a side note, would like to ask all of you brothers and sisters of Clubsnap here, would you guys want to bulk accessories for the camera?
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=1585341&hl= (that's me btw)

If there are more Singaporeans getting it, maybe one of the guys here would like to mail it to me in Malaysia or something.
I'll only come back on November 22nd so it'll be later if I'm heading the bulk order.

Sigma (with reference to True-I series) gives more green dots in very dark shadow, thus when you upped the X3, you see dots.

how to see these green dots, keep magnifying the picture until they show up?

I would like to add on that Foveon (True-I and True-II) full color vibrancy drops at iso400 and above. Thus one will find that color as nice as Bayer. That is where camera rotation comes in if iso cannot be controlled.

actually I got no issue with iso400 because I shoot stills. I don't need to shoot that high, mostly iso50 and sometimes iso100, I prefer to use a tripod.:bsmilie:

The green dots will show up when you push X3 Fill on dark shadow, not magification. As I stopped since DP1, I have no visibility on True-II.

When I put comments, is it from the product behaviour perspective and not whether one would use the feature in their regime, in other words awareness of it presence. For instance, foveon high iso is perfect for rustic images, because it produces more soft dull color in iso800 than the bayer. A benefit to gain from. :)

how to see these green dots, keep magnifying the picture until they show up?

actually I got no issue with iso400 because I shoot stills. I don't need to shoot that high, mostly iso50 and sometimes iso100, I prefer to use a tripod.:bsmilie:

When I put comments, is it from the product behaviour perspective and not whether one would use the feature in their regime, in other words awareness of it presence. For instance, foveon high iso is perfect for rustic images, because it produces more soft dull color in iso800 than the bayer. A benefit to gain from. :)

Point well taken, after all it is only the photo that matters . :)

Hi all, I traded my D200+30mm f1.4 on clubsnap with a SD14+18-50mm f2.8, I like the camera so far but the original owner is not honest as he did not mention that the ttl metering is faulty. Any idea how much the repair will be like from Sigma?

Hi all, I traded my D200+30mm f1.4 on clubsnap with a SD14+18-50mm f2.8, I like the camera so far but the original owner is not honest as he did not mention that the ttl metering is faulty. Any idea how much the repair will be like from Sigma?

call sigma marketing ....

How is the metering faulty? Sometimes it is just ridiculously unreliable. My SD14 meter can give me a reading of about 5-stops off under certain conditions.

If the repair cost is too high, either go for SD15 or wait till SD1 releases next year (if it does).
SD15 so far does not have so much technical complain.

Hi Sigma users,

I have been interested in the Foveon sensor system for some time, but have not been able to find any shop that carries Sigma DSLRS. Is there any place where I can have a feel of, say the SD15? Searching google yielded no results.

Thanks very much,
AC

@candycain: Hey, why not try out Cathay Photos? Have a talk to the salesperson and you might find some lead =)

Good luck on your Foveon journey!

Anyway just a small update for those who are frustrated with the search for DP2s acces, true to some recommendations of JohnCameraStore on Ebay, got the package just a few days after I ordered and it's price is competitive with good shipping fees.

Not linked in anyway with them, just a small customer who felt satisfied and sharing with the other Foveon bros out here~

Still learning the trade:

All shots @ F2.8, ISO200

SDIM0679.jpg

SDIM0649.jpg

No PP except resizing and adjusting X3 fill light to bring out details

Is the fishing village model above, the one located at KL's Nikon showroom? hahaha

Oops..OT hehe

Anyway, just curious.

What bags are you guys carrying with your Sigma?
Also, the default neck strap is kinda irritating on the skin (if wearing T-shirt), any alternatives?
I am looking for some but most of them are pretty deep (depth-wise) because the bags are built for DSLRs.

I just want to store the camera (with or without lens adapter with AML-1), maybe another wide angle, a small tripod, 2 filters in boxes and some space for battery or miscellaneous items.

So far the A&A ACAM-1100 fits the bill but it's so expensive. Zzz.

PS: Nice pictures!

Hi there,

I'm having the same questions as you too, but im using a passport sling for smaller type of cameras like DP2s with the adapter+hood, EVF on and a flash with a small travel tripod in the bag and a cpl filter also. I still have space for lotsa personal stuffs, so its my favourite.

What wide angle would you be refering too? Im interested in getting a wide angle convertor too, but i have no idea on which brand and where to buy =/

btw, Im getting a wrist strap next, neck strap seems kinda over kill for this compact.

anyone know where to get 3rd party battery for DP1s? in singapore lah..

Its really good to see this thread!
I kinda regret after selling my SD14, miss those colours and smooth B&W tones. Hoping for SD15 prices to come down or the release of the SD1 ..yum!

I don't have the best of experience with the local support, that kinda prompted me to move on from Sigma.

Yes! to a very large extent that we can't even get the original sigma accessories from a single local shop!

Hey artbox, try Parasilk or Cathay, but must pre-order i think..