Four Thirds Recommendation Needed

AnitaChong28

Oct 12, 2012
Singapore
Hi I am considering getting a new 4/3 Camera.
Primary reason: light and easy to carry around.
Am considering between Olympus and Panasonic
Understand the Olympus OM-D-EM1 is the leader of the pack.
Usage: For daily walkabout, travel, portraits and landscape

Can the experts give me some opinion
1) Best camera model
2) Best lens or lenses to match (I intend to buy max - two lenses)

rgds/Anita

Hi my budget is not exceeding 3-4K
General photography, walkabout, for travel, portraits and landscape

Can I interest you in Sony A7? That is one beast of a camera and you are able to get that with your budget. Incredible Full frame IQ, small and quite responsive.

In my opinion, that is seriously a beast...

http://www.sony.com.sg/series/e-mount-camera
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a7

Last edited:
Can I interest you in Sony A7? That is one beast of a camera and you are able to get that with your budget. Incredible Full frame IQ, small and quite responsive.

In my opinion, that is seriously a beast...

http://www.sony.com.sg/series/e-mount-camera
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a7

yup the weight is comparable. but since it's a Full Frame camera, the subsequent lenses will cost more too.

but a good beginning combo would be the A7 Kit, with the 55mm Zeiss. shouldn't exceed 4k.

only drawback is that you need to get a flash too.

yup the weight is comparable. but since it's a Full Frame camera, the subsequent lenses will cost more too.

but a good beginning combo would be the A7 Kit, with the 55mm Zeiss. shouldn't exceed 4k.

only drawback is that you need to get a flash too.

True. But do note that EM1 also won't come with a flash and you need to get an external flash too (anyway, inbuilt flash are crap). Also, good micro4/3 lenses are not exactly cheap either. Sony's A7 that came with a kit lens (28-70mm) cost only around 2399 (SRP) which cover most focal length needed (in my opinion and way of shooting)

The only drawback that I can see is that there isn't too wide a range of lenses to choose from. So there might yet be some lenses that are not out. However, I also believe that in due time, Sony is going to throw out more lenses :) Now if only I have 3k lying around in my house... I will get one in a zip.

True. But do note that EM1 also won't come with a flash and you need to get an external flash too (anyway, inbuilt flash are crap). Also, good micro4/3 lenses are not exactly cheap either. Sony's A7 that came with a kit lens (28-70mm) cost only around 2399 (SRP) which cover most focal length needed (in my opinion and way of shooting)

The only drawback that I can see is that there isn't too wide a range of lenses to choose from. So there might yet be some lenses that are not out. However, I also believe that in due time, Sony is going to throw out more lenses :) Now if only I have 3k lying around in my house... I will get one in a zip.

yes. that's why you'll have to pay more for the native e-mount lenses at the moment. M4/3 will be better right now for the TS.

unless TS doesn't mind waiting for the lenses to arrive

Hi TS

The title of the thread is in error. Should read as Micro4/3

Hi , :) without straying from the topic

1. Best model currently : EM1 , it just won 4 awards at the digital life awards and awarded product of the year at DPreviews if this matters to u.

If u r into video , get the Pana GH series. If imaging more, get Olympus.

2. Olympus vs Panasonic - , the built in IS in Oly bodies is an advantage unless u r looking at GX7, the only model in Pana with built in stabilization.

3. Lenses to start, u've a good budget: I actually won't suggest the EM1, the weight may be an issue to u.

To start, u can consider the EP5 , EM5 (elite ) or EM10 (to be released in this or next week) . The EPL6 or EPL5 is also worth considering if u r on a tight budget.

Lenses: I suggest getting a fast zoom and a prime to start with, if budget allows , throw in a longer range zoom and slowly work your way up. A good zoom will be either the Pana 12-35/2.8 or Oly 12-40/2.8. Excellent primes are the 12/2 , 17/1.8 , 45/1.8 , Pana 20/1.7 and so on and on.

As a beginner to MFT, I will suggest u get the EM5 with a 12-35/2.8 or 12-40/2.8 and a prime of your preferred focal length to start. For $3k , I can buy at least an EM5 (elite) body + 12-40/2.8 and a 45/1.8 with change and do street, portraits with no problems.

MFT's strength is that it has a large range of lenses to choose from , unlike the A7/A7R which has only 3 native lenses currently. No doubt a FF is a draw for many, the lenses don't come cheap.

Lastly, go take a peek at the photo sharings at the MFT forums for an idea , I own the EM1 ,EP5 , 12-40/2.8 , 17/1.8 , 45/1.8 and a 7-14/4 and don't really find a need for more lenses.

Last edited:
If MFT is your only choice then die die must buy EM-1 liao

3-4k is quite a huge budget. Can get anything in the market already :) you can try e-m5/e-m1/e-m10 and invest in a few good lenses.

3-4k is quite a huge budget. Can get anything in the market already :) you can try e-m5/e-m1/e-m10 and invest in a few good lenses.

Hi 5 ! :)
Honesty really $3-$4k can get u most of the best in MFT given how value for money MFT is , but start conservatively and small first unless TS is very sure about her/his shooting needs and habits. Even street alone u have the 35 vs 50mm FLs in general for example.

"Leader of the pack", "latest and greatest", "multi-award winner" don't mean much if it's not what's best for YOU. You might hate the way it handles, find it a little too bulky... Cameras are very personal. Go play with them ie. get some hands-on time with your shortlisted models.

The truth is just about ALL the current models can fit your stated requirements (General photography, walkabout, travel, portraits and landscape). Don't fall into the trap that MNCs and Stat boards tend to -- thinking that spending more will bring you better results and greater satisfaction. Many times, the opposite is true.

My personal opinion will be the Oly EM10 + Pany 12-35/Oly 12-40 + Pany 35-100 + Samyang 7.5mm fisheye. Shld still be within your budget and you are well covered with the focal length.

Olympus EM-1, 17mm/f1.8, 75mm/f1.8

Save money. Though you have money, no need to spend a lot. Buy 3rd hand EP3 (it has a small built-in flash & some people don't like to take photos with flash, so no need to buy flash) and used Lumix 14-45 zoom. Buy cheap Hoya filter. Buy 1 small Samurai dry box about $125 to keep the equipment fungus free. That's all you need to buy. You can get very good pics out of this set for next 10 years. No need to buy any more stuff.

Last edited:
My personal opinion will be the Oly EM10 + Pany 12-35/Oly 12-40 + Pany 35-100 + Samyang 7.5mm fisheye. Shld still be within your budget and you are well covered with the focal length.

I agree with this and what Edwin Francis shared , no point going for the EM1 yet as u stated u need a compact sized body too.

A EM10 with 12-35/2.8 & a prime of a FL of your choice with go far already.

If u find this not 'good enough' then go for the EM5 & 12-40/2.8 setup.

U can always buy a Oly 40-150mm for lesser than $200 later if u need the reach.

Thank you very much to everyone here for all the kind imputs.

Guess I hve to play around with various models + lens to get a real feel before deciding

Apprec