Four Thirds Recommendation Needed

Been following and doing some research online. Also had many good advices. Now I am a little confused. Having spend too much $$$ on my underutilised FF DSLR I want to change to a good set-up as I luv photography mainly for my extensive travelling. Back home I hardly touch the camera. I am down to these 1) a7 + FF 2) EM1 3) EM10 4) Nex 6 5) Fuji X-T1 Your comments pls + lenses For my minimum needs? Apprec

Not sure about your targeted budget. But I advise you to consider
1) Em10(ideal size for female's hands)
2) Olympus 12-40 F2.8(Good IQ and versatile focal length for any shot everywhere)
3) 25mm F1.8 (good for street photography and night walk-around)
4) Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8( good for visiting zoo and your favorite boy-band concert)

Cheers.

Been following and doing some research online. Also had many good advices. Now I am a little confused. Having spend too much $$$ on my underutilised FF DSLR I want to change to a good set-up as I luv photography mainly for my extensive travelling. Back home I hardly touch the camera. I am down to these 1) a7 + FF 2) EM1 3) EM10 4) Nex 6 5) Fuji X-T1 Your comments pls + lenses For my minimum needs? Apprec

Hi , been quite some time but glad u have now shortlisted.

Skip the A7. Y? FF it may be but with the FE lenses , the setup won't be compact and light. U can go for 3rd party lenses yes but it ain't straightforward. You already have a FF setup, I'll plan for a FF setup for big days and a decent compact setup for casual days.

EM1 or XT1. Both are superb cameras with color rendition and performance most approve of. I've never encountered another camera with faster AF than the EM1 for example. I'm never felt I needed a APS-C or larger sensor.
EM1: With the 12-40/2.8. Add a 25/1.8 or 17/1.8 and below $3000 u will have a pro level setup with 24-70 range and a superb prime for street / light weight days.
XT1: the kit zoom 18-55mm for Fuji is already beyond most kit zoom standards. Include a good prime and u r ready to go. Fuji colors are to die for, period.

Con: setup will definitely be lighter than your FF but won't really be that light / obviously these 2 are pro level flagship cameras :)

Nex series. I won't comment much but no. I may be flamed but those who used Nex will know why.

EM10 if u r going for a superb compact setup with a prime or a 14-42/EZ. Below $1800 for a prime + 28-84mm travel setup. Con is that setup may be unbalanced if u need the faster lenses like 12-50/2.8 later.

I have a EM1 + 12-40, 17/1.8 , 25/1.8 and 75/1.8. I just need a wide angle and that's all I will ever need.

For casual days I have a X100s. :)

Sony should ask rhino123 to be their spoke person. He really hard selling the A7.:bsmilie:

For me. I have the following active camera. EM5, EPL5, GM1 and GX7
I used to own D700 many years ago and they really cause backache with all the heavy lens when travelling oversea.

That's when I switch to m43.
It has many lens and produce good quality image.
I normally carry 2 bodies for travel to minimise changing of lens.
During my travel to Vietnam last Dec, I brought EM5 and GX7 with 7.5mm Fisheye, 20mmF1.7, 12-35mm and 35-100mm
On short trip to Hong Kong last month, I bought GX7 and GM1 with 7.5mm Fisheye, 20mmF1.7, 9-18mm, 14-140mm
Those are the cameras I need. Do I need those super fast focus camera? No. All the above cameras can focus fast enough for everyday use and for travelling.

GM1 is very light with I can carry it everyday without even noticing it. Don't you sometimes feels that you should have carried a camera with you when you got a great scenery in front of you?

Last edited:
Actually... I don't think any of us would know what is your shooting habit and style. But if I was to choose, I would go for the a7 + 24-70mm... It would meet all of my criteria, because while in overseas, I seldom shoot telephoto shots.
Damn ex leh.

Thank you for all the comments.
Basically I only carry the camera when travelling.
I shoot scenery, buildings, people, nothing specific.
I like good shots. Edit in Lightroom.
Do not print any.
Maybe a good basic setup like
EM1 /EM10 + 12-40 and extra lens for wide.

Thank you for all the comments. Basically I only carry the camera when travelling. I shoot scenery, buildings, people, nothing specific. I like good shots. Edit in Lightroom. Do not print any. Maybe a good basic setup like EM1 /EM10 + 12-40 and extra lens for wide.

I'm sure all of us like good shots ;)

EM10 or EM1 it's all up to you , just note that if u plan to use the 12-40/2.8 , the EM1 will provide better handling due to its grip.

Those who hv experiences with EM1/EM10
Does it have these functions directly or hv to use apps
Time lapse photography
Interval timer shooter
Multiple exposure
Wireless Remote control

Thks.

Those who hv experiences with EM1/EM10
Does it have these functions directly or hv to use apps
Time lapse photography
Interval timer shooter
Multiple exposure
Wireless Remote control

Thks.

In-built functions in EM1 has:
1. Time lapse (you can choose to merge into video at the end or not), and the individual files are still saved
2. Interval timer shooter> isn't this same as 1?
3. Multiple exposure (there's a 2 shots)
4. Wireless Remote is not required if you use a smart Android or Iphone as there's Olympus Imaging share App you can do remote shoot

In addition of 1-4, EM10 has :
5. Live Composite. Can check out my ongoing review of it here. You can use this to kinda replace function #3 for long exposure, star trail etc. This mode however is not in the smartphone app.

In short I think EM1 or EM10 has all of what you need. On top, there's Live Bulb and Live Time modes you can use to preview your shot that's ongoing.

Will this set up Ep3, etc cost below 1k. I hesitate to buy 3rd hand cos it's electronics and they do break down over time. My Canon G9 broke down with a blurred focus after 5 years.
Thanks.