Four Thirds Recommendation Needed

May let us know why MFT only, do you consider apsc too ?

My present set up is a DSLR FF + Lens which is very heavy and clumsy for me.
That the main reason to change to M4/3
I kind of like the Sony A7 or Oly EM5 or EM10
Can the experts guide me the best lens to go with either
My standard photography, street shots, portrait and landscape.
Prefers high end equiptment

fujifilm xe2 apsc senor mft size body

@TS the Fujifilm X-T1 is a good option. At the event just now, the promotion for the camera is fantastic, but you need the letter to claim it. As they said, about $1999 in free gifts, including 2 lenses. 18-55mm, 27mm prime and a 50-230mm lens in total.

You might want to check with the people who went who have the letter but aren't buying

Wow great.
Any one who has the letter but not buy?.
Care to pass me the letter

My present set up is a DSLR FF + Lens which is very heavy and clumsy for me.
That the main reason to change to M4/3
I kind of like the Sony A7 or Oly EM5 or EM10
Can the experts guide me the best lens to go with either
My standard photography, street shots, portrait and landscape.
Prefers high end equiptment

EM5 is at a steal now, you can save enough to get good lenses such as the 12-35 f2.8 or the 12-40 f2.8 for street photography. And the 45mm F1.8 for protraits, and will have enough to invest in the 7-14mm F4.0 for landscape, or wait for the new ultra wide 7-14mm F2.8 lens.
If not, some good fast primes for streets such as the 17mm F1.8 and 25mm F1.8 will also be very useful.

EM5 is at a steal now, you can save enough to get good lenses such as the 12-35 f2.8 or the 12-40 f2.8 for street photography. And the 45mm F1.8 for protraits, and will have enough to invest in the 7-14mm F4.0 for landscape, or wait for the new ultra wide 7-14mm F2.8 lens.
If not, some good fast primes for streets such as the 17mm F1.8 and 25mm F1.8 will also be very useful.

Agree...

if you want the lightest, most compact setup, weighing less than 400g (the weight of a typical mirrorless camera body),
then consider;
Panasonic GM1 body - 204g
Panasonic 12-32/3.5-5.6 lens - 70g
Olympus 45/1.8 lens - 115g
Total weight = 389g

The Panny GM1 with kit lens is would be good for daily walkabout, landscapes
While the Olympus 45/1.8 is excellent for portraits.
Whole setup good for travel.

Last edited:
Panasonic Lumix DMC GH 4K since change to MFT and prefer (MFT) high end

A7 not MFT.

Last edited:
if you want the lightest, most compact setup, weighing less than 400g (the weight of a typical mirrorless camera body),
then consider;
Panasonic GM1 body - 204g
Panasonic 12-32/3.5-5.6 lens - 70g
Olympus 45/1.8 lens - 115g
Total weight = 389g

The Panny GM1 with kit lens is would be good for daily walkabout, landscapes
While the Olympus 45/1.8 is excellent for portraits.
Whole setup good for travel.

And the 15mm Lens cap weights 22g, and you can take interesting pictures with it on street walkaround in the day. Makes photography fun.

Panasonic Lumix DMC GH 4K since change to MFT and prefer (MFT) high end

A7 not MFT.

Correct. A7 is FF and not Micro 4/3 (MFT). Infact Fujifilm and Sony didn't have MFT cameras (Sony might manufacture MFT sensor though).

if you already have a good selection of FF lens so to continue using them (with an adaptor) then Sony A7 but FF lenses should still leave you concern with weight.

otherwise if selecting a totally new system, then i would definitely shortlist EM1 and XT1 if i am in your shoe although i suspect the EM1 will probably give your a similar user experience to your current DSLR unless you have the Nikon DF with the many many dials on the top plate then the XT1 will match it more... both have great EVF with XT1 being ahead in size compared to the EM1 in case you are more a VF shooter then a LV one.

Been following and doing some research online. Also had many good advices.
Now I am a little confused.
Having spend too much $$$ on my underutilised FF DSLR

I want to change to a good set-up as I luv photography mainly for my extensive travelling.
Back home I hardly touch the camera.

I am down to these
1) a7 + FF
2) EM1
3) EM10
4) Nex 6
5) Fuji X-T1

Your comments pls + lenses For my minimum needs?

Apprec

I want to change to a good set-up as I luv photography mainly for my extensive travelling.

I am down to these
1) a7 + FF
2) EM1
3) EM10
4) Nex 6
5) Fuji X-T1

Apprec

My personal opinion would be the Oly EM1/EM10 with the following lenses setup:
1. Samyang 7.5 f3.5/ Pany 7-14 f4
2. Oly 12-40 f2.8/ Pany 12-35 f2.8
3. Pany 35-100 f2.8 (You may forgo this range if you find that you hardly shoot tele)

You have all the range covered for a nice lightweight travelling setup as compared to your FF DSLR. Alternatively, can add a Oly 25 f1.8 for indoor shots. So overall, you will be looking at 2 - 3 lenses setup.

I am down to these
1) a7 + FF
2) EM1
3) EM10
4) Nex 6
5) Fuji X-T1

Apprec

Actually... I don't think any of us would know what is your shooting habit and style. But if I was to choose, I would go for the a7 + 24-70mm... It would meet all of my criteria, because while in overseas, I seldom shoot telephoto shots.