Four Thirds Lens Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Sunday's Lian He Zao Bao, Olympus is suppose to launch E-1 today.

And from today's Computer Times, there's a preview at the Singapore Arts Museum or something. Might check out later, will post if this is true. :)

Sorry can't edit post - it supposed to be OLYMPUS NOT CANON :embrass:

AJ23 said:
From Sunday's Lian He Zao Bao, Olympus is suppose to launch E-1 today.

And from today's Computer Times, there's a preview at the Singapore Arts Museum or something. Might check out later, will post if this is true. :)

yup~ its true~
at Asian Civilisation Museum..

i'll be there~~~~ :lovegrin:

was there a while ago, didn't see any signs or what. Also need to pay to go into the museum. Any one else to confirm venue and time?

teerex said:
Sorry can't edit post - it supposed to be OLYMPUS NOT CANON :embrass:
oh wah lau!!! :sweat:

for a moment i was wonder what the heck Canon was doing... ;)

Larry said:
oh wah lau!!! :sweat:

for a moment i was wonder what the heck Canon was doing... ;)

I believe that's the direction the major players will be moving towards. If not four thirds at least Full Frame.

teerex said:
I believe that's the direction the major players will be moving towards. If not four thirds at least Full Frame.

I would view moving from 1Ds or 300D sized sensors towards the 4/3 system a HUGE STEP BACKWARDS, but thats just my opinion. ;)

erwinx said:
I would view moving from 1Ds or 300D sized sensors towards the 4/3 system a HUGE STEP BACKWARDS, but thats just my opinion. ;)

while ppl are enjoying SEEDing, I am here thunking out articles... :(

anyway...

S$4288 for e1 + 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5, "L" lens
nice quiet lenses, AF not too impressive (limited try).
nice weight, but like 300D better hurhur...
currently on back order.
the 300/600mm lens is not retailed, must order.
got 25mm ext tube.

yo larry who was the guy with you? CS also right?

I wouldn't mind buying this... cheap for the package...
thing is what lenses other vendors are going to release? haha CANON really? dun mind...

denizenx said:
while ppl are enjoying SEEDing, I am here thunking out articles... :(

anyway...

S$4288 for e1 + 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5, "L" lens
nice quiet lenses, AF not too impressive (limited try).
nice weight, but like 300D better hurhur...
currently on back order.
the 300/600mm lens is not retailed, must order.
got 25mm ext tube.

I wouldn't mind buying this... cheap for the package...
thing is what lenses other vendors are going to release? haha CANON really? dun mind...

So expensive? You're better off with a 10D + lens of choice with the remaining money. :) Or even 300D with the kit lens and use the rest to buy other lenses or take a vacation or whatever..... ;p

Regards
CK

erwinx said:

Then again, which half-frame and full-frame system gives you 600/2.8, 100/2.0 macro and a "not so exorbitantly priced" 1200/5.6? :)

For tele lovers, can't even buy a 600/2.8 even if you have the moola. :bsmilie:

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
Then again, which half-frame and full-frame system gives you 600/2.8, 100/2.0 macro and a "not so exorbitantly priced" 1200/5.6? :)

For tele lovers, can't even buy a 600/2.8 even if you have the moola. :bsmilie:

Regards
CK

You can shoot with a 300 f/2.8 on a Nikon DSLR which is equivalent to 450mm f/2.8 and crop to an equivalent of 600 f/2.8. Assuming similar pixel density, you have a 450-600 f/2.8 zoom that equals or exceeds the E-1 in quality ;)

long time never post in clubsnap... busy in offstone?

erwinx said:
You can shoot with a 300 f/2.8 on a Nikon DSLR which is equivalent to 450mm f/2.8 and crop to an equivalent of 600 f/2.8. Assuming similar pixel density, you have a 450-600 f/2.8 zoom that equals or exceeds the E-1 in quality ;)

long time never post in clubsnap... busy in offstone?

Been busy, seldom post there either. :)

Now, how about the 100/2.0 macro? ;p Not that I am advocating the E system (they look overpriced) but these 2 offerings look pretty interesting. :)

Regards
CK

Well, the Olympus in-house consultant tried to explain the price:

Pro; environmentally sealed body with a lot of rubber gaskets (what was claimed was better than 10D; smaller; comes with lens that are 'L' by Canon's standards.

So, pro means at $4288, not really expensive as E1 was supposed to take on 1D, 1Ds, D1x, or D2h per se (in that league).

The lens MTF graphs look very impressive I must say...even seems better than all the Canon L's... :dunno:(made me feel that my 24-70 L is a lousy piece of glass)

Just one question here: Would 4/3s be the way to go? Or do you agree with Erwinx that it's a step back.

Seems the Olympus in house consultant is implying an end to 35-mm film format in 50 years....what will we do with all the lens... :dunno:

Can't really be compared to D2H, 1D, or 1Ds...the 1st 2 are high shutter speed, high frame rate (at 4MP, 8FPS) sports/pj use. Though at ard S$6000-8000 with a roughly equivalent lens. The 1Ds is a 11MP real FF with a CMOS sensor that is actually roughly same size as 35mm film, costing even more.

At S$4288 w/lens, it's a bit pricy (Pentax 6MP Ist*D is ard S$3200 street price w/basic zoom, even tho the prices in Japan are similar). Street discounts for the E-1 should reach 10-15% off eventually. But I think the differentiating factor is more the ultrasonic sensor self cleaner, and perhaps the Zuiko lenses are not too bad (compared to established glass like Canon L, Nikon ED, etc). Seems (just my impression) more well made than the 300D, but have to wait for the reports and posts......but the 300D is at $1800~

To me, 4/3 standard is just a marketing jargon for making a smaller sensor and yet being able to call it FF. I'm not sure it's a 'digital' std, more like trying to set another prosumer std.

my dad was raving about that the camera can use any other lens on the market, which unfortunately is untrue as of right now.

www.four-thirds.org said:
By establishing an open standard for camera body lens mounts, the new system will make it possible to standardise lens mounting systems, something that has been impossible to achieve with digital SLR cameras that are based on existing 35 mm film SLR lens systems. At the same time, the new system standard will set a rule for both the image circle size (the diameter of the area in which the subject is resolved) and the back focus distance (the distance from the lens mount to the image sensor).

that text, when interpreted wrongly, makes people think it can use pre-existing lenses, when actually all it means is that it's a TOTALLY new mount - and no one can use their current lenses and have to buy 4/3 lenses from Olympus. i doubt there will be any Fujinon 4/3 lenses in the near future, so guess who's earning the $$$ by having a new "standard".

no doubt that the current dslrs' are using "legacy lenses", but one thing we know, with the 4/3 system, there's no way anyone can shoot slides if there's a desire to do so.

the only good thing i see about the E1 is the supersonic cleaning device, other than that, it's just a good attempt to shake up the market.

It says that the limation of current lenses meant for film cameras, when use for digital cameras, will cause light-fall-off at the edges due to the way lenses were designed.

Zuiko Digital lenses are supposed to arrest this problem.

So, how critical is this light fall-off problem?

denizenx said:
erm, technically yes he's from CS, but he's a lurker - never post one. he's from a rival company to yours... :D

anyway, yes the position of the E1 is aimed at the pro crowd. the environment seals are supposed to be good apparently, able to withstand light rains and dusty environments. the Zuiko optics are also top-notch - the users of the old Oly OM systems would attest to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.