Four new species for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

macross

Nov 3, 2003
Bedok
Went AH in the late afternoon yesterday, after tuition. :) Glad that I decided to go, as in the end, 4 new species were added to my collection. :vhappy:
They are:

1. Baron.

1849.jpg

2. Common 5-Ring.

1854.jpg

3. Ciliate Blue.

1857.jpg

4. Common Rose. Not easy to shoot this fellow, kept flying. This was a snap shot; point my digicam at it, and quickly pressed the shutter. Glad that this turned out to be quite alright. Now I got larva, pupua and adult of the Common Rose. :think: Need to look for egg to complete the cycle of the life of Common Rose.

1877.jpg

macross said:
4. Common Rose. Not easy to shoot this fellow, kept flying. This was a snap shot; point my digicam at it, and quickly pressed the shutter. Glad that this turned out to be quite alright.
1877.jpg

For a point and shoot shot with your camera, this is superb :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nice shoot of the common rose, i think it's the same butts that emerge from the pupa I witness yesterday morning. What a beautiful butts.
Will post the close up I shoot tonight ;)

Nice work. The last 3 pics could do with a tighter framing.

Congrats on adding new species to your collection!

macross said:
Went AH in the late afternoon yesterday, after tuition. :) Glad that I decided to go, as in the end, 4 new species were added to my collection. :vhappy:
They are:

1877.jpg

Love this one! I like this butterfly a lot. The red colours are brillant. It still looks good even though it doesnt fill up much of the frame. :lovegrin:

Anyone can share where is AH as mentioned above?? :bsmilie:

For Point n shoot, Wow you got it at the right moments. Nice shot for the collections.

The common rose is just beautiful, the composition worked for me!

Well done! As with the rest, the "in action" Common Rose gets my vote too! :thumbsup:

Actually, to stoke the butt flu amongst those of you here, perhaps you should list down all the species that you've shot and compare with the rest who are shooting butts as a "competition" to see who can get more. ;)

So far a start, you could let us know how many species you have in your collection. We can ask the moderator here to put a sticky on the species count, and see who's the top of the list. I'll be disqualified though... ;p

:) Glad that you guys like the shot of the common rose.

As some of us have experienced, this species is difficult to shoot. It will not stay long in one place. Even if it is feeding, the wings keep fluttering. :sweat:

Before this shot, I have made a few trials but without success. Everytime, I got a foucs, it flew away. :( There was once when I actually pressed the shutter, but when the result came out, it was not in the shot; it was out of the frame already! :eek:

The original pic, when view at 100%, is a bit soft. However, when reduced to 600x450 and applied usm, the outcome (the one posted) looks quite alright. I have retained the full frame (no cropping), with the outer 30 px blur as border. As can be seen, the body of the butt is at the centre of the pic. I placed the focus on the butt and press the shutter quite quickly, as I wanted to capture it as fast as possible before it flew away; no time to re-compose. I remembered the flash-indicator flashing indicating that the shutter speed was not fast. You'd be surprised when you see the setting:
iso100, f3.7, 1/60s, 380mm equiv, macro mode, auto-focus, hand-held! :what:

I don't know how I do it, :dunno: but I managed to do it.

FujiS2 said:
Will post the close up I shoot tonight ;)

Let's look foreward to the post by FujiS2!

;) hope that i am not spreading the butts' flu around. saw a few new names. :)

That is a superb catch macross! Congrats! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Macross, I have been studying the posts in this macro section as I am keen to learn how to shoot insects etc. Have also been contemplating which macro lens to buy.

However, after seeing your many posts taken with the C750 UZ, I really feel like selling off my 300D & lenses & get a C750 UZ instead!! :bsmilie:

You really prove that (as is often said) it is not the equipment but the photographer that counts! Bravo!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Macross,

With shutter and focusing lag, using C750 to get this shot is really difficult.
Fanstastic sharp shot :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How did u get up so close to these butts without scaring them off?
Did u use Macro lens or teleconverter to get these shots?

:cheers:

Gan CW said:
For a point and shoot shot with your camera, this is superb :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

capricorn said:
Hi Macross,

With shutter and focusing lag, using C750 to get this shot is really difficult.
Fanstastic sharp shot :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

agree with you ...

I think macross is a really patience photographer and his works already shows and proven how difficult to capture such nature shots using a consumer digicam. Good work :)

Thanks BobCheong, Digiman, capricorn, megaweb, and Garion. :)

Every equipment has its limitation, and I personally think C-750 has performed well in its limits :thumbsup: . With more shooting recently, I am only beginning to understand its capabilities, and shoot better. Of course, the truth remains that a prosumer digicam can't be compared with the 'big guns'.

capricorn: At present, it's buddy-buddy out in the field, me and C-750, and no other equipment. Thinking of getting Nikon 4T close-up.

I think megaweb has said the magic word, 'patience', a characteristic my friends and colleagues would say about me. Out in the field, I will sometimes observe the butts for quite a period of time without taking any pic. At times, I will just squat (or stand) near the bushes (sometimes under hot sun :sweat: ) to wait for the butts to land. When I have the opportunities, I will move my digicam cm by cm (or foot by foot) to get closer to the subject.

Well, a big thank you to everyone for your compliments. Will have to work harder, seems like a lot of pple is watching me. :embrass:

Thank you everyone
谢谢大家
Terima kasih
有り難う皆さん (that's 'arigatou minna san'. looks like 'got problem everyone', funny isn't it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.