Found another free photo editing software

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
Stumbled across this program called Paint Dot Net that is offered FOC by the Washing State University. It supports Layers and has most of the tools I normally use on Photoshop for retouching and manipulation. There is also a forum dedicated for this software but it was down today. The main page has a link to discussions on plugings but since the forum page is down I was not able to find out if the plugin is the same as PS. Will check later to find out if there is anyway to support RAW files.

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

Taken from the main download page:

About
Paint.NET is image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows 2000, XP, Vista, or Server 2003. It supports layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
It started development at Washington State University as an undergraduate senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple tool for photo and image editing. The programming language used to create Paint.NET is C#, with a small amount of C++ for setup and shell-integration related functionality.

Enjoy!

- Roy

Hmm.. conditional Hue/Saturation plugin seems interesting.. will try when I have time.. :)

One thing missing which bothers me is the colour sampler.

In PS I can sample a pixel and see its value change as I make level or curve adjustments. This is helpful for custom colour correction or manipulation. Let me know if you find a way to do that on Paint Dot Net.

On the whole I think this is a very powerful program. Maybe more user friendly than GIMP.

The translucent toolboxes are a nice touch also.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing this info! ;)

roygoh said:
Stumbled across this program called Paint Dot Net that is offered FOC by the Washing State University. It supports Layers and has most of the tools I normally use on Photoshop for retouching and manipulation. There is also a forum dedicated for this software but it was down today. The main page has a link to discussions on plugings but since the forum page is down I was not able to find out if the plugin is the same as PS. Will check later to find out if there is anyway to support RAW files.

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

Taken from the main download page:

About
Paint.NET is image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows 2000, XP, Vista, or Server 2003. It supports layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
It started development at Washington State University as an undergraduate senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple tool for photo and image editing. The programming language used to create Paint.NET is C#, with a small amount of C++ for setup and shell-integration related functionality.

Enjoy!

- Roy
Thanks! Will try it out soon. :)

Edit: UI looks quite good and intuitive.. Haven't taken it for a real spin yet..

jacob said:
does it support 16bit editing or only 8bit?
Looks like it's probably only 8-bit

looks quite powerful, it takes advantage of dual-core processors for extra fast processing....

:eek: didnt know wat i learn during my poly yrs of C# n C++ can be tat power.:confused:
i will try it out..thanks

the source code for windoze OS is also built on C++ one :)

user12343 said:
looks quite powerful, it takes advantage of dual-core processors for extra fast processing....
Ooh..

Latest Changes:
Full 64-bit support, for both x64 and Itanium systems
New "Curves" adjustment for editing an image's color curves
Seven new layer blend modes: Color Burn, Color Dodge, Reflect, Glow, Overlay, Negation, and Xor
Aesthetic improvements to the entire user interface
Better performance, especially for 64-bit systems
Zooming, esp. with the mouse wheel, has been enhanced
Rewritten layer composition engine is now mathematically correct, and faster
Deployment via AD/GPO is now much easier (use /createMsi with setup package)
User interface now works correctly in high-DPI (120dpi, 144dpi, 196dpi)
Layers window list is no longer "upside down"
Upgraded to use .NET Framework 2.0
Many other improvements and fixes

Its an interesting alternative for those with basic image editing needs and a low budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.