FOUND a new way to prevent fungus growth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AReality

Jun 9, 2003
visualjournalist.net

OK, just a theory, I need experts' advice.

Since living organisms need water and oxygen, what will happen if I put some rusty iron/metal inside my dry box? No oxygen == no plants. How? Anyone can prove otherwise?

Technically, it might be possible. The only worry is that mould is probably quite hardy. It will grow slowly each time the dry box/ dry cabi is opened and it will simply become inactive when conditions are poor. It's going to take a piece of iron fairly long to absorb water and oxidise on its own. Most metals these days are probably also treated with an anti-rust solution. Also, mould may not need oxygen but instead use carbon dioxide for growth? :dunno:

I'm no good with plant knowledge and chemistry, but maybe someone will be able to answer this better.

fWord said:
Technically, it might be possible. The only worry is that mould is probably quite hardy. It will grow slowly each time the dry box/ dry cabi is opened and it will simply become inactive when conditions are poor. It's going to take a piece of iron fairly long to absorb water and oxidise on its own. Most metals these days are probably also treated with an anti-rust solution. Also, mould may not need oxygen but instead use carbon dioxide for growth? :dunno:

I'm no good with plant knowledge and chemistry, but maybe someone will be able to answer this better.

Ya, quite ture, there are some organisms which are ananobic, and they can grow w/o oxygen

if really really worried ... get some camera fungicide and put in your dry cabi ... i think PPCP carries some ..

The easiest way to prevent fungus growth is to use the lens regularly in daylight.

UV rays kill fungus.

You can always sun your lenses for a while after each shoot (say 10 mins). Don't sun your cameras though-- you could burn a hole in your shutter curtains.

Wai Leong
===
AReality said:

OK, just a theory, I need experts' advice.

Since living organisms need water and oxygen, what will happen if I put some rusty iron/metal inside my dry box? No oxygen == no plants. How? Anyone can prove otherwise?

waileong said:
The easiest way to prevent fungus growth is to use the lens regularly in daylight.

UV rays kill fungus.

You can always sun your lenses for a while after each shoot (say 10 mins). Don't sun your cameras though-- you could burn a hole in your shutter curtains.

Wai Leong
===

Wah, I didn't know UV ray kills fungus.
Shouldn't have used a UV filter... :bsmilie:

waileong said:

UV rays kill fungus.

Wai Leong
===

if like that, if we make a uv box (light sealed of cause) to keep lens, we can replace dry box?:think:

which will be cheaper to operate?

denniskee said:
if like that, if we make a uv box (light sealed of cause) to keep lens, we can replace dry box?:think:

which will be cheaper to operate?

A small UV tube consumes 15 Watts.
Dry cabi runs at 5 watts. Unlike UV, dry air does not affect the plastics/rubber parts of the lens and body so strongly as uv.

Notice shoes that are used often dont have fungus and the formal ones that u dont use often is covered with fungus?

Simple rule to follow: use your camera often (exposing to fresh air and sunlight) and store in a dry cabinet when not in used.

Dont be paranoid about fungal growth and enjoy your lens/camera. I have to admit that areality had a cute idea :p

hmmmm..... how about UV light box.... will that help prevent fungus growth?

can throw away dry box liao... :eek:

OK. Some pointers.

Your dry box is there to reduce the humidity.
So it is already breaking the one of the need of mould.
Now, with the rusty thingy in it... not going to work well, why?
Because for rust to happen, you need water. Which the dry box is trying to get rid of.

UV light box is a no no. Why? Becuase UV basically melts plastic.
Who's lenses dun have plastic parts nowadays?
So you got zero fungus, but melted plastic? ;p

Hope the above helps.

i wonder why the hubble space telescope can last so long...

OK, vacuum box. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.