FOUND a new way to prevent fungus growth!


Status
Not open for further replies.

AReality

Senior Member
Jun 9, 2003
4,458
0
0
VisualJournalist.net
#1
FOUND a new way to prevent fungus growth!

OK, just a theory, I need experts' advice.

Since living organisms need water and oxygen, what will happen if I put some rusty iron/metal inside my dry box? No oxygen == no plants. How? Anyone can prove otherwise?




.
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
35
Melbourne, Australia
#2
Technically, it might be possible. The only worry is that mould is probably quite hardy. It will grow slowly each time the dry box/ dry cabi is opened and it will simply become inactive when conditions are poor. It's going to take a piece of iron fairly long to absorb water and oxidise on its own. Most metals these days are probably also treated with an anti-rust solution. Also, mould may not need oxygen but instead use carbon dioxide for growth? :dunno:

I'm no good with plant knowledge and chemistry, but maybe someone will be able to answer this better.
 

clarinet

Senior Member
Nov 16, 2004
256
0
0
strewberry farm
#3
fWord said:
Technically, it might be possible. The only worry is that mould is probably quite hardy. It will grow slowly each time the dry box/ dry cabi is opened and it will simply become inactive when conditions are poor. It's going to take a piece of iron fairly long to absorb water and oxidise on its own. Most metals these days are probably also treated with an anti-rust solution. Also, mould may not need oxygen but instead use carbon dioxide for growth? :dunno:

I'm no good with plant knowledge and chemistry, but maybe someone will be able to answer this better.
Ya, quite ture, there are some organisms which are ananobic, and they can grow w/o oxygen
 

Dec 31, 2004
1,321
0
36
Yishun
#4
if really really worried ... get some camera fungicide and put in your dry cabi ... i think PPCP carries some ..
 

waileong

Deregistered
Feb 5, 2003
2,519
0
0
Visit site
#6
The easiest way to prevent fungus growth is to use the lens regularly in daylight.

UV rays kill fungus.

You can always sun your lenses for a while after each shoot (say 10 mins). Don't sun your cameras though-- you could burn a hole in your shutter curtains.

Wai Leong
===
AReality said:
FOUND a new way to prevent fungus growth!

OK, just a theory, I need experts' advice.

Since living organisms need water and oxygen, what will happen if I put some rusty iron/metal inside my dry box? No oxygen == no plants. How? Anyone can prove otherwise?




.
 

Hoky

New Member
Mar 17, 2004
1,182
0
0
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
#8
waileong said:
The easiest way to prevent fungus growth is to use the lens regularly in daylight.

UV rays kill fungus.

You can always sun your lenses for a while after each shoot (say 10 mins). Don't sun your cameras though-- you could burn a hole in your shutter curtains.

Wai Leong
===
Wah, I didn't know UV ray kills fungus.
Shouldn't have used a UV filter... :bsmilie:
 

denniskee

Senior Member
Oct 26, 2003
5,468
2
0
bukit batok
Visit site
#9
waileong said:
The easiest way to prevent fungus growth is to use the lens regularly in daylight.

UV rays kill fungus.

You can always sun your lenses for a while after each shoot (say 10 mins). Don't sun your cameras though-- you could burn a hole in your shutter curtains.

Wai Leong
===
if like that, if we make a uv box (light sealed of cause) to keep lens, we can replace dry box?:think:

which will be cheaper to operate?
 

tOGGY

New Member
Oct 18, 2004
520
0
0
#12
denniskee said:
if like that, if we make a uv box (light sealed of cause) to keep lens, we can replace dry box?:think:

which will be cheaper to operate?
A small UV tube consumes 15 Watts.
Dry cabi runs at 5 watts. Unlike UV, dry air does not affect the plastics/rubber parts of the lens and body so strongly as uv.
 

topster

New Member
Nov 22, 2005
237
0
0
#13
Notice shoes that are used often dont have fungus and the formal ones that u dont use often is covered with fungus?

Simple rule to follow: use your camera often (exposing to fresh air and sunlight) and store in a dry cabinet when not in used.

Dont be paranoid about fungal growth and enjoy your lens/camera. I have to admit that areality had a cute idea :p
 

Andy Ang

Senior Member
Jan 10, 2006
2,875
0
0
Dreamy Nikon Land
#17
OK. Some pointers.

Your dry box is there to reduce the humidity.
So it is already breaking the one of the need of mould.
Now, with the rusty thingy in it... not going to work well, why?
Because for rust to happen, you need water. Which the dry box is trying to get rid of.

UV light box is a no no. Why? Becuase UV basically melts plastic.
Who's lenses dun have plastic parts nowadays?
So you got zero fungus, but melted plastic? ;p

Hope the above helps.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom