Found a baby bird, need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

centuryegg

Aug 16, 2005
Hello all... know that this is abit really OT to post in a photography forum but kind of desperate. Found a fledging Mynah at my office loading bay and took it in as its parents were no where to be found and there are cats at my office area. Now the question is what to do?? How to care for it?? Anyone can help??

bring it home if u want ..can teach it to talk..

just dont let the cats near it..;p

BBQ, Soy sauce, Oyster sauce, Deep-fry all not too bad.

Just kidding, try SPCA?

centuryegg said:
Hello all... know that this is abit really OT to post in a photography forum but kind of desperate. Found a fledging Mynah at my office loading bay and took it in as its parents were no where to be found and there are cats at my office area. Now the question is what to do?? How to care for it?? Anyone can help??

try breastfeed it? :dunno:

Spca will most likely put it down.... its a common mynah regarded as pests. low adoption value....

Reminds me of the time when a very colourful baby bird flew into my hall and didn't know how to fly out.. Think it's a Kingfisher or something. Could be wrong though..

Lemme dig out the picture I took of it.. Eventually had to carry it downstairs and release it in the bushes..

bih6ku.jpg

Perhaps you can check with those pet shops selling birds or those uncles/neighbours who keep pet birds what you can do/buy to feed the baby bird and to ensure its survival.

Since you had rescued it, do all you can to bring it up until it can survive on its own in the wild. You can then release it if you are still not attached to the little thing by then. Releasing it now will only kill the little thing. Good luck.

bring it home, feed it for one month, once its wings are ready to fly, let it go...have a heart, dont feed it to the cats..

maybe u can start funding for its meals...arrange a cute photoshoot for it...hope it survive the flashes only..haha

Sigh..... guys the thing is I want to help it, thats why Im asking for help.... If anyone knows or anyone has friends who know what to do.... HELP!!!!

Im really clueless what to do with it... its by itself in the empty guest room with a box with newspapers as a bed and a bowl of water.

ortega said:
photoshoot anyone?

Is shooting "baby" naked bird allowed? :think:

Can sent to JBP where the real experts are. Not sure if they will accept it. Who knows if this baby have "bird Flu" and spread to the whole flock of birds there.

bring it home, feed it for one month, once its wings are ready to fly, let it go...have a heart, dont feed it to the cats..

Both hands up..... it cost u pennies to feed it's stomach,
maybe what you are concern was the time, you might busy with ur work/family.
well... maybe can put it in a small cage, and leave some food and water inside,
clean it once a day or two... well.... still upt o you, but fromt he pic u posted, i think this bird is able to fly in 2 week time... just my 2 cts.

besh said:
Both hands up..... it cost u pennies to feed it's stomach,
maybe what you are concern was the time, you might busy with ur work/family.
well... maybe can put it in a small cage, and leave some food and water inside,
clean it once a day or two... well.... still upt o you, but fromt he pic u posted, i think this bird is able to fly in 2 week time... just my 2 cts.

That's not the bird that the orginal thread poster found.. Anyway, it did fly into my house.. But it doesn't understand that it can't fly through glass windows.. So I had to bring it downstairs and release it.

i found myself in d same situation yrs ago, d hatchling dun even hav feathers on it, eyes still not yet open oso. i took care of it for a 1 week +, eyes open le, n feathers yet, but died in d end. i fed it packet milk at tt time. i think it needs other kind of nutrients not found in tt milk.... :(

centuryegg said:
Sigh..... guys the thing is I want to help it, thats why Im asking for help.... If anyone knows or anyone has friends who know what to do.... HELP!!!!

Im really clueless what to do with it... its by itself in the empty guest room with a box with newspapers as a bed and a bowl of water.

Good job in bringing the baby in. If left on its own it'll die of starvation, be eaten by a predator (cats, crows etc...) or "teased" to death by some curious clown!

You've to feed the "baby" a few times a day. Soft diet is necessary to assist the digestion.....mash fruits or bird feeds from the pet shop (have to mix the bird feed with water to make it cereal like).

Do assist the babe in drinking, just in case it does not know how to "help" itself.

If after a few days, the bird looks worse than it first arrive...give it up for adoption! But otherwise, enjoy as mynas are very loyal and can be easily trained.

try getting squirt bottles used 4 soy sause. i use it 2 feed my dog. v effective! :thumbsup:

you may need to buy a special feed from the bird shop. If it is a hatchling, it should be on a liquid diet, even when it have grown slightly bigger it will still need some form of specisl feed as some birds may not be ready for solid food which may be harder to digest. The best thing to do is to bring it down to the bird shop, show it to the shopkeeper and said that you want to buy feed for it so as to get some advise.

Hope this helps

yqt said:
you may need to buy a special feed from the bird shop. If it is a hatchling, it should be on a liquid diet, even when it have grown slightly bigger it will still need some form of specisl feed as some birds may not be ready for solid food which may be harder to digest. The best thing to do is to bring it down to the bird shop, show it to the shopkeeper and said that you want to buy feed for it so as to get some advise.

Hope this helps

never know you're a bird expert as well :bigeyes:

since63 said:
Good job in bringing the baby in. If left on its own it'll die of starvation, be eaten by a predator (cats, crows etc...) or "teased" to death by some curious clown!

If after a few days, the bird looks worse than it first arrive...give it up for adoption! But otherwise, enjoy as mynas are very loyal and can be easily trained.

Thanks for the advice.. How do you feed the fellow?

From what I read, baby birds are supposed to chirp and chirp to attract your attention to be fed. However the fellow I found only sleeps and stares maliciously at me each time I bring a chopstick of food to its beak.... Refuses to eat ......

centuryegg said:
Thanks for the advice.. How do you feed the fellow?

From what I read, baby birds are supposed to chirp and chirp to attract your attention to be fed. However the fellow I found only sleeps and stares maliciously at me each time I bring a chopstick of food to its beak.... Refuses to eat ......

okie...go buy some worms, easliy can get from fishshop or birdshops. just buy $1 , got alot. slowly hold it and feed it to the little one, at first, it will be hard, just take a while for it to get use to it.. dont over feed later... for the drinking part, if it cant drink by itself, use a straw to hold the water and drop by drop feed it.. u can keep it in a box, but remenber to cover the top ( with some air holes opened) if not it will jump out .

cost of keeping it is less then $20 for 1 month( not enough to even get a filter - unless cheapo ones) haha... saving its life , priceless.. (TAKE A PHOTO BEFORE U LET IT GO)
:lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.