Fotopro tripod

yes i will to help for my own opinion. some alternative solution to keep stable in windy areas is to put counter weight below into the hook to add weight of the tripod. :D just an idea. hehe..
For the info i bought it in AP Funan. 250. i don't know the price to other store. i don't know cheap or not.

Just out of curiousity, what is the diameter of the last section of the legs?

Good job sharing your views btw!

yes i will to help for my own opinion. some alternative solution to keep stable in windy areas is to put counter weight below into the hook to add weight of the tripod. :D just an idea. hehe..
For the info i bought it in AP Funan. 250. i don't know the price to other store. i don't know cheap or not.

250 sounds like a good deal, considering the price HERE. Is that the same item?

Clamp looks like arca-swiss type. Versatile... :)
Sirui carbon fibre one is about $280 am I right?

Finally, a reviewer! Have you test it against long exposure shots? For at least 12-15 seconds? Even better, 30 secs? The reason why peeps are so concerned would be the ball-head creep over long exposures, and vibration test (against wind and mirror slap)... it isn't just about being able to hold the weight... Not that I'm saying you haven't test all this yet.
I've used a foto pro tri-pod for long exposure -- 60 sec max. and had no issue.:thumbsup: see photo sorry if the image doesn't look nice, still learning to attach photo here...
The_Helix_bridge_small.JPG
[/url][/IMG]
The only problem, so far are the lock-screw for the ball head. The knob gets lose fast (adhesive failing):thumbsd:, causing it to rotate without un-screwing lock to the ball head (hope it make sense). The shop where we bought it actually replace the defective ball head assembly. The shop where we bought it (AP @ Funan) actually advise not to over tighten, there are two screw actually locking the ball. One good side, you can convert one of teh tri-pod leg into a mono-pod..., the weight not heavy for its design and height.

My take: the design is good, but the workmanship + the material used might be compromised, its cheap at <S$200 for a cabon fiber material. Besides I think this is China made. I am planning to get an adhesive de-bonder, clean & change the adhesive (look for an-aerobic like a thread locker), buy a good knob from Ikea, preferably metal cause some plastics are just not adhesive friendly. apart from this Im happy

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
I've used a foto pro tri-pod for long exposure -- 60 sec max. and had no issue.:thumbsup: see photo
mystudio.asp

The only problem, so far are the lock-screw for the ball head. The knob gets lose fast (adhesive failing):thumbsd:, causing it to rotate without un-screwing lock to the ball head (hope it make sense). The shop where we bought it actually replace the defective ball head assembly. The shop where we bought it (AP @ Funan) actually advise not to over tighten, there are two screw actually locking the ball. One good side, you can convert one of teh tri-pod leg into a mono-pod..., the weight not heavy for its design and height.

My take: the design is good, but the workmanship + the material used might be compromised, its cheap at <S$200 for a cabon fiber material. Besides I think this is China made. I am planning to get an adhesive de-bonder, clean & change the adhesive (look for an-aerobic like a thread locker), buy a good knob from Ikea, preferably metal cause some plastics are just not adhesive friendly. apart from this Im happy

Hope this helps...

The Lowdown on Asian tripod makers:

Fotopro's factory is located in Zhongshan, China in Guandong province. There are many factories there. Sirui is also located there as with many photo equipment manufacturers. Fotopro's factory seems quite a bit smaller than Benro or Sirui. It is one of the smaller manufacturers like MeFoto. WeiFang (makers of fancier) is bigger, but their focus is on low end tripods more. Giottos is a Taiwanese company, but their manufacturing is in Shenzhen, which explains why their costs are higher and products are slightly more expensive. Velbon is a japanese company, and is manufacturing mostly in China. They also have factories in Japan and Taiwan. Slik is a company owned by Tokina group. I think their tripods are still made in Japan? (not sure)

The most popular asian tripod brands in China are Giottos (ballheads only), Velbon, Sirui, Benro and Weifang. Fotopro and MeFoto are not that popular in China.

Last edited:
I'm using the Fotopro color travel tripod. It's very easy to deploy which has the quick lock function so you just twist 1/2 round and the tripod extends. I've taken 30s long exposure shots at night near esplanade when the winds were strong, no issues. My setup is only D90 + 18-105mm kit lens, but its definitely sturdy enough to hold a larger lens from the feel of it. Anyway the specs of the tripod can be found in their Mass Sales thread. A sample pic while using this tripod, only 20s though.

4903968136_8c114df6bd_b.jpg

250 sounds like a good deal, considering the price HERE. Is that the same item?

Clamp looks like arca-swiss type. Versatile... :)
Sirui carbon fibre one is about $280 am I right?

bro kevin. no exactly the same but this is the image i what i got. but using this ball head. FPH-51G Ball head

http://www.taobao.com/view_image.php?pic=Wx0GGlFDXA1VUwMEWx0SCwkNGRFcVxxQW1UcCxMFRBkDCFdVV1cRRhpSRDhHM3prXmtsUHsxKgkKDgdTFmsCA0dZQlxFBgYV&title=Rk9UT1BSTyC4u828saYgzLzPy86syP29xbzcK9TGzKggUEdDLTU4NCtGUEgtNjFTIMj9vcW83MzX17A%3D&version=2&c=MDc3ZTNkMDlmZTdkZWFjNjUxZjBkOTk4MzZhMmUzYTg%3D

The Lowdown on Asian tripod makers:

Fotopro's factory is located in Zhongshan, China in Guandong province. There are many factories there. Sirui is also located there as with many photo equipment manufacturers. Fotopro's factory seems quite a bit smaller than Benro or Sirui. It is one of the smaller manufacturers like MeFoto. WeiFang (makers of fancier) is bigger, but their focus is on low end tripods more. Giottos is a Taiwanese company, but their manufacturing is in Shenzhen, which explains why their costs are higher and products are slightly more expensive. Velbon is a japanese company, and is manufacturing mostly in China. They also have factories in Japan and Taiwan. Slik is a company owned by Tokina group. I think their tripods are still made in Japan? (not sure)

The most popular asian tripod brands in China are Giottos (ballheads only), Velbon, Sirui, Benro and Weifang. Fotopro and MeFoto are not that popular in China.

wow nice info. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just out of curiousity, what is the diameter of the last section of the legs?

Good job sharing your views btw!
im no so sure what is the size of the last section around 1/2" inch. :think:

tnx kriegsketten

For that price, i'll take the sirui t1004x c/w g10 ballhead. with a possibility an upgrade to g20 ballhead at $15.

that's just me... :D

Last edited:
For that price, i'll take the sirui t1004x c/w g10 ballhead. with a possibility an upgrade to g20 ballhead at $20.

that's just me... :D

Yes yes.. :bsmilie:

i was comparing Sirui T1004X, Weifeng FT-592 and this Fotopro colour tripod.. :D I choose the Sirui one because It feels better, and have a 6 yrs warranty.. hahaha

i was comparing Sirui T1004X, Weifeng FT-592 and this Fotopro colour tripod.. :D I choose the Sirui one because It feels better, and have a 6 yrs warranty.. hahaha

i tried the fotopro color tripod before at artworkfoto, it didn;t give me good vibes, coz the ballhead "sags"(dunno if it's right term;p) a little after tightening it using with my heaviest setup, olympus epl-1 (m43 body) + oly 70-300mm (43rd lens) about 1kg, it's front heavy coz m43 body is slimmer than typical dslr.
currently in shanghai now, just went to xin guang building and tested the sirui T-1005x with G10 after reading much good reviews. G10 ballhead didn't "sag" and legs are quite stable enough, however, to qualify, my "heaviest" setup was 50mm f1.4 manual lens, <700g, i din bring the 70-300mm as traveling here on business. & I didn't expect to find sirui much cheaper here. Think i will go there to try it again tmrw, and maybe get the G20 to give me more assurance. only think is the warranty is 6 yrs local china.

About 7 to 8 mm... :think: Quite skinny ya know? But at least it still performs, just not too sure about the ballhead...

Bro, one inch is 2.54cm. 1/2 inch sounds like 12mm or 13mm. Sounds like Standard 5-sect travel tripod last leg diameter.

Last edited:
i tried the fotopro color tripod before at artworkfoto, it didn;t give me good vibes, coz the ballhead "sags"(dunno if it's right term;p) a little after tightening it using with my heaviest setup, olympus epl-1 (m43 body) + oly 70-300mm (43rd lens) about 1kg, it's front heavy coz m43 body is slimmer than typical dslr.
currently in shanghai now, just went to xin guang building and tested the sirui T-1005x with G10 after reading much good reviews. G10 ballhead didn't "sag" and legs are quite stable enough, however, to qualify, my "heaviest" setup was 50mm f1.4 manual lens, <700g, i din bring the 70-300mm as traveling here on business. & I didn't expect to find sirui much cheaper here. Think i will go there to try it again tmrw, and maybe get the G20 to give me more assurance. only think is the warranty is 6 yrs local china.

hehehe the term is 'creep', if I'm not mistaken :)
If you lock the ballhead and find that the camera still moves, then the ballhead has creep. On a long lens or with macro photography, that creep is usually very noticeable.

I was gonna suggest too, that for the similar price as fotopro tripod, can get Sirui basic model, which has garnered good reviews from a number of CSers. So if I had to make a choice, I would go for the Sirui just to follow the crowd... hahaha

If you lock the ballhead and find that the camera still moves, then the ballhead has creep. On a long lens or with macro photography, that creep is usually very noticeable.

I was gonna suggest too, that for the similar price as fotopro tripod, can get Sirui basic model, which has garnered good reviews from a number of CSers. So if I had to make a choice, I would go for the Sirui just to follow the crowd... hahaha

Yes Yes... haha.. FYI, the G10 ball head creeps with heavier setups... so if u have heavy gears, upgrade to G20 ballhead.. :)

I find Sirui T1004X a good buy with its weight/load and the 6 yrs warranty covered.

Bro, one inch is 2.54cm. 1/2 inch sounds like 12mm or 13mm. Sounds like Standard 5-sect travel tripod last leg diameter.

AiyaK!!!!... :embrass: Thanks I missread the 1 cm marking as 1/2 cm.... Hence, wrong reading! Getting old, now starting to read wrong things... :sweat:

12-13 sounds THICK enough! Good legs - good legs...

Hence from now onwards we shall refer to them as "creepy ballhead".... :sweat:

Thanks to Wonglp for informing us of the creep. What is the "exact" weight of your setup btw? Epl-1 is an all-metal body, yes?

AiyaK!!!!... :embrass: Thanks I missread the 1 cm marking as 1/2 cm.... Hence, wrong reading! Getting old, now starting to read wrong things... :sweat:

12-13 sounds THICK enough! Good legs - good legs...

Ok only la.

Sirui T-1005x 5th section is 13mm. T-1004x 4th section is 16mm.