Forumers at Buy and Sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasty204

Oct 6, 2004
Tanjong Rhu
What can we do to instill some good behaviour . People are making offers even below the asking price and after some haggling on the price , will backed out on their offer.

Should we published this so other forumers does not suffer the same fate? ;(

i dun mind some names here... hehehe..

anyway, its all between the buyer & seller, seller if you think the price too low, not worth the effort, dun sell... and buyer please be more responsible when entering into a agreement.

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum - it isn't tech talk or a general review. Also, please be mindful of your legal responsibilities when posting; just a friendly reminder.

It's a common thing that happens around in all forums actually. I'm a moderator at another local forum so I do understand the plight of the unlucky lot, which I assume you fall victim to as well? :think:

Personally, I've experienced this myself. But not all forumers mean to "fly the seller's aeroplane", some are really sincere but have their own reasons. Many a times it's difficult for us to judge, so we can't really condemn the whole lot to public shame. It's part and parcel of online auctions that comes with the ease-of-sales for sellers out there. So sellers who want to boost their sales will have to live with this trait of online auctioning. ;)

Perhaps CS mods might think otherwise, but this is my 2 cents. Heh.. :D

Edit: I'm posting regarding the issue of making "bad forumers" public. ;p

how is haggling atypical in any sale? lol
and backing out... hmmm only if they dun give sufficient notice?
altho in hwz some sellers are gd to some bad to others, quite leceh unless CS' emphasis is to become a mktplace like hwz.

Actually I do not have any issue on the price haggling, my issue is that if we are not sure if we want to buy, let us not haggle on the price specially we can always check the street price of the item. If we think it is not a good price , why bother and waste both the seller and buyers time. BTW , my bad experience is for an item that is worth S$50 dollars.

To be more factual - I listed an item for S$65, got pmed offering me S$50 as according to the buyer, his friend got it pre-owned at S$40, and at the same time told me that he can get it new for S$65. Reluctantly, I said OK, only to get an sms offering "AGAIN" at S$40. Judge yourself.

haggling is ok and is quite common. Everyone wants to get a good deal for themselves but offering a super low/high price or backing out at the last min is a :nono:

Most sellers are selling their wares at reasonable prices i believe. Buyers should not offer too low a price.

I just had my 1st transaction here in buy and sell and i think both seller and me are happy with the deal. :)

Point is: Give and take, you win some, you lose some :D

I think its a good practise for sellers to have a "start bidding from this price", so if anyone finds reasonable will definitely start to bid. otherwise he should realise its way to high and would reduce the price or keep it.

Nasty204 said:
What can we do to instill some good behaviour . People are making offers even below the asking price and after some haggling on the price , will backed out on their offer.

install a feedback system..... like the auction sites.

Nasty204 said:

Aiyah, if people offer you less than what you want, just ignore them. What's problem? You're free to turn them down as much as they are free to make you an offer. :rolleyes:

If they back out or come across indecisive after they agree to buy, just ignore them and move on to others :eek:

What's the point in black listing them publicly. [If you say that we should flog them publicly then that's a different story. I'll even supply the whip ;-)]

Myself, I just put them on my buddy list so I remember who they are. Muhahahaha! :bsmilie:

the potential buyers of this forum suck big time. I put up my 70-200 for sale at an attractive price of $750. Even after looking at the lens and even agreeing that the lens is in tip top condition, some shamless fools started telling me grandma and grandpapa stories that they have no money and can only offer $500. What the fc uk is this?

Nasty204 said:

zaren said:

Unlike the auction sites, the admins here do not have control over the buy/sell.

CS is only facilitating the buying and selling of items. As such, this will not work out. Moreover, the ratings system can be abused.

Regarding nasty204's proposal, I'm not in favour of dragging dirty linen into public unless it's a very bad case or there is fraud involved. Whatever unsavoury behaviour on the part of buyers/sellers is best left in private. This is part and parcel of the risks of buying / selling in forums.

Let the status quo remain and exercise your own judgement and "caveat emptor".

goering said:
Unlike the auction sites, the admins here do not have control over the buy/sell.

CS is only facilitating the buying and selling of items. As such, this will not work out. Moreover, the ratings system can be abused.

Regarding nasty204's proposal, I'm not in favour of dragging dirty linen into public unless it's a very bad case or there is fraud involved. Whatever unsavoury behaviour on the part of buyers/sellers is best left in private. This is part and parcel of the risks of buying / selling in forums.

Let the status quo remain and exercise your own judgement and "caveat emptor".
goering makes a v good case. as with all things online, theres v few (if any) effective methods of controlling or regulating sales. even eBays feedback system is subject to abuse.

ultimately, 'Buyer Beware' is your only protection.

zaren said:

Good idea! ;)

I think Photo.net's feedback system is more workable though

kahheng said:
Aiyah, if people offer you less than what you want, just ignore them. What's problem? You're free to turn them down as much as they are free to make you an offer. :rolleyes:

If they back out or come across indecisive after they agree to buy, just ignore them and move on to others :eek:

What's the point in black listing them publicly. [If you say that we should flog them publicly then that's a different story. I'll even supply the whip ;-)]

Myself, I just put them on my buddy list so I remember who they are. Muhahahaha! :bsmilie:

I agree with Kah Heng. Unless the buyer has accepted in writing in offer, else, can we stop customers from bargaining? This is part of the game.
I have been both a buyer and seller and have encountered nice and not so nice (I would not term them as bad coz I always consider them as my customer, perhaps in the future even if they are not one yet) When selling an item, there is much owner's pride and I understand how the seller feel when a ridulous price is offered. But to be in this game, we all have to have elephant skin and endless patience and lots of courtesy.. :)

I hate those who make an offer, then insist I meet them at their place. Which is like EAST/WEST.

Then I politely suggest a central place, the person doesn't reply SMS. It would have been nice to just cancel the deal instead of letting it dangle there without any confirmation or whatsoever.

So far have only encountered 1 such person. Hope I never encounter such a person again. :angry:

No big deal. Just ignore him/her. There are 1001 reasons why they are doing this. If you think they are giving you nonsense, just ignore them and continue with your own life.

I also had the bad experience of the buyer backing out for a mere $5 item. The buyer simply didn't reply to my sms/call and vanished into the thin air. But fine, I just did a re-post and sold the item without any hassle. It is not worth getting angry at all. :)

Nasty204 said:
Actually I do not have any issue on the price haggling, my issue is that if we are not sure if we want to buy, let us not haggle on the price specially we can always check the street price of the item. If we think it is not a good price , why bother and waste both the seller and buyers time. BTW , my bad experience is for an item that is worth S$50 dollars.

To be more factual - I listed an item for S$65, got pmed offering me S$50 as according to the buyer, his friend got it pre-owned at S$40, and at the same time told me that he can get it new for S$65. Reluctantly, I said OK, only to get an sms offering "AGAIN" at S$40. Judge yourself.

I encounter the same behavior too! SMS to meet at a more convenient place. NO reply.

As least state it in your WTS 'must self-collect for that price' or explain in PM lah! :angry:

I always meet buyers at the penisular area...I think it's better...unless the case like sulhan's case, need the stuffs urgent, then he collect at my house...

goering said:

CS is only facilitating the buying and selling of items. As such, this will not work out. Moreover, the ratings system can be abused........
I proposed this long ago to the admin but thesame reply. How do you know it will be abused? Don't have trust in your own forum fellows? :)

I am also active in a dutch photoforum and there they do have a feedback system that works:

http://www.fotoapparatuur.net/Canon/Camera/Ad49869.html?sid=799141916

Just click on the number in brackets: Peter Berger (1)

Hong Sien

Status
Not open for further replies.