Formula Drift Singapore 2010 (24 - 25 Apr 2010)

bro, noob here.

how u manage to get the car sharp but background blur?

panning was mentioned in this thread somewhere. does it mean u move ur lens to follow the car when shooting and hence cause motion blur to the background?

use shutter priority and set to something like 1/50 seconds, continuous autofocus on car and follow the car with the lens and take many shots and some will turn out fine. :)

Very new to photography but would a 24-105mm on a 1.6crop body be long enuff to shoot?
Cuz im interested in going but i dun have any longer lens than tt lol.

Hi guys! What is the shutterspeed/aperture you all use to get this kinda shot. It's using shutter priority mainly?

Very new to photography but would a 24-105mm on a 1.6crop body be long enuff to shoot?

Hi guys! What is the shutterspeed/aperture you all use to get this kinda shot. It's using shutter priority mainly?

His photos still have exif data which you can find some important data about how his photograph were taken.

24-105 lens can be used....just that the cars will be much smaller than these photos you seen here. His shots taken range from 170-300mm.

all shot using shutter priority 1/50s and he let the camera work out what is the aperture for correct exposure f20-f32.

Last edited:
use shutter priority and set to something like 1/50 seconds, continuous autofocus on car and follow the car with the lens and take many shots and some will turn out fine. :)

just like to know if you use any filter like the cpl filter to make the colours more vivid? Thanks.

Last edited:
just like to know if you use any filter like the cpl filter to make the colours more vivid? Thanks.

no filters used. but i just bought a nd4 filter to prevent the aperture from getting too small when shooting slow shutter speed in daylight. :)

Most people will resize their image down to 0.5 megapixel (800x600) or less to display online.
When you're dealing with a 12 megapixel source file, you can easily crop the car and still have to resize smaller.
I will be using a kit lens, 18-105mm lens (since I don't have more zoom lens).
If you want to take pics of the air show, then surely need better zoom, but for action < 50m away, 105mm is still good IMO :)

Bro David

Hmm Might not be going as it clash with car photoshoot which it will feature in 'HotStuff Mag'

If you are going i can T-Loan u the 55-250mm if u need although tat lens is nothing compare to other better lens haha, just let me know and will MU once of this dayzz

Will @@ how

It's a long 2 day event, you could at least turn up for 1 of the days :)
I plan to go both days. If it rains on one of the days, all the better!

I got grandstand ticket giving me the flexibility to rest somewhere for a while, but will most likely spend most of the time at the barriers for less obstructive view. However, judging by pics i've seen, getting a good barrier spot won't be easy to come by, and you won't be able to come and go from your spot as you please, people all fighting to take shots!

CPL won't do that much, and I believe the sun must be coming from the side in order to give you that nice blue sky look. I don't believe it will have any other effect on car colour etc (it's just like wearing sun glasses on your camera).

You can easily select a vivid mode on the camera, or just increase saturation during post processing.

The tip on the ND filter sounds good though, I think i'll try that, given it's a sunny day :cool:

I plan to go both days. If it rains on one of the days, all the better!

If it rains the event will be stopped and we'll wait for the track to be sufficiently dry enough to drift on. This isn't conventional racing where wet weather tyres will suffice.

Last year, we had a helluva fun time at the grandstand avoiding all the water that seeped through the canvassing roof when the heavens opened up. Event was stopped until the rain stopped and the track deemed safe after the pools of standing water was lessened.

sorry guys, noobie here...
the ticket is a 1 day pass, but is it transferable? meaning if i can only make it one day can i pass the pass to a friend on the other day?

for those who went last year, how far is the distance from the barrier/grandstand from the cars? would 100mm lens be enough or 200mm to fill 3/4 of the photo without cropping?
example this:
better to shoot at walk around area. mine from last yr:

dsc4634.jpg

nice photo DiGdub :thumbsup:

DiGdub's pic shows it as 220mm so that should give you some indication, although we do not know if any cropping was done.

Tickets are in the form of stubs - they tear off 1 stub per day.

Last year's event venue was at Changi, this year at Marina F1 Pit so hard to say how close/far the barriers/GS would be from the track.

If you are new to this (and from your questions, I'm guessing so), don't worry too much about getting that "perfect shot". Just head down there and, in the following order:
1. Enjoy
2. Soak up the atmosphere
3. Smell the rubber
4. Have fun
5. Shoot some pics
(in that order!)

Too often, we get so caught up in trying to nail that great shot that we totally lose the reason for being there, which is to HAVE FUN!

The ticket is only valid for 1 day?!?!
I was under the impression it was valid for both days... :(
I just collected my grandstand ticket yesterday, i'll have another look when i'm home. If I knew that, I would have got 2 x walkabout tix instead... :angry:

i don't think i cropped that pic. ya, the venue is different, so hard to say how far the cars will be. the ticket has 2 tear offs, one for each day. i think it should be tranferable as there is no name on it.

The ticket is only valid for 1 day?!?!
I was under the impression it was valid for both days... :(
I just collected my grandstand ticket yesterday, i'll have another look when i'm home. If I knew that, I would have got 2 x walkabout tix instead... :angry:

Bro, 1 ticket is valid for both days.

Yep, confirmed. The ticket has 2 stubs :D

hmm... sounds good to me. is anyone available on tt sunday? maybe we can share the tickets as i can only make it on sat... ;p

I'm planning on going both days. Saturday will be my practise day, it's the first time i've gone to this event.
I did go to F1 last year, but shooting through the fence was a total waste of time :angry:

31.jpg

All photos are copyright of Binter & Co. Pte Ltd. All Rights Reserved

lol that's me in the jungle hat on the right..

here's another angle of the third shot, which won me an ipod shuffle in the goodyear competition last year.

p924368035-4.jpg

lol that's me in the jungle hat on the right..

here's another angle of the third shot, which won me an ipod shuffle in the goodyear competition last year.

p924368035-4.jpg

saw the series on your zenfolio, nice and sharp images. :thumbsup:
to experience shooters, what lens would you recommend for shooting using canon 1.6 crop? 55-250, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS or 100-400 IS? :think: