Formula 1 Street Circuit in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Chin

Oct 31, 2006
Singapore Central
How many of you are F1 fans out there? I have been an ardent fan for umpteenth years and can't wait for it to be staged in Singapore, especially if reports are true, a night race. Does anyone have any inside information where this street circuit is likely to be?

How many of you are F1 fans out there? I have been an ardent fan for umpteenth years and can't wait for it to be staged in Singapore, especially if reports are true, a night race. Does anyone have any inside information where this street circuit is likely to be?

We shall know the answers by April..

Hmm.. nv shoot one before...

What is the ISO and shutter speed I need? :dunno: :dunno:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

should be like this bah...

ssc.jpg

F1 fan here. Been watching since schumi+benetton days. Would love to see it happen here in Singapore... a night race some more....

wow, will be making around the Suntec fountain of fortune :thumbsup:

The circuit has to feature a straight that is long enough to accommodate the pit lane as well. Where can this be? Certainly not St Andrew Road in front of City Hall as this is not long enough and also not wide enough. Is there possible it could be somewhere in Marina South?

actually, sg could hav a circult right from the time i was young, but it was banned at that time by someone..................... i believe they noe their mistake and let malaysia hav the track

F1 in Singapore: Almost there

By Julian Lim - 17 Jan, 2007
AsiaOne

Fernando Alonso brakes late to overtake Ralf Schumacher at the Fullerton hairpin, Felipe Massa and Kimi Räikkönen thunder down the St Andrew's straight at 300km/hr. Is this for real?

Maybe.

If one of two local magnates manages to wrangle his way to a deal with the powers that be, a warm-up, pre-cursor race to full-blown F1 madness could be coming to Singapore as early as August this year, if preliminary reports are to believed.

Property tycoon, Mr Ong Beng Seng and SUTL Group's managing director, Mr Arthur Tay, are engaged in a race of their own to win a contract with Formula One Management, as well as convince the local authorities of their plans.

Insiders have Mr Ong as the odds-on favourite based on his connections with F1 mogul, Bernie Ecclestone.

Leading F1 circuit designer, Mr Hermann Tilke, has already made the trip to Singapore to draft out what the eventual course could look like. According to reports in The Straits Times, the 51-year-old German promises "high speeds, tight cornering, and an exciting spectacle for spectators and drivers alike."

His design portfolio boasts the likes of the F1 speedways in Malaysia (Sepang International Circuit), Bahrain (Bahrain International Circuit), China (Shanghai International Circuit) and Turkey (Istanbul Park). Come 2010, it will also include South Korea's new circuit.

The concept of Formula 1 street racing brings to mind the scenic, but narrow Monaco course which measures 3.34km, shorter than the proposed 5km circuit Mr Tilke would like for Singapore.

When asked for a comparison between Monaco and the possible Singapore circuit, The Straits Times quoted Mr Tilke as saying that Singapore's would be a more "modern" course, but cautioned against further comparisons as "it's not fair to compare circuits because each race has its own character and personality."

And another possible "Uniquely Singapore" element to the race to be found nowhere else on the F1 calendar: Night racing

This would reduce the need for traffic disruptions within the vicinity of the circuit (i.e. the Central Business District). Better alert the traffic wardens though, lest they book any of the F1 drivers for bus lane infringements.

Other potential race highlights

- Start and finish lines on a floating platform to be constucted at Marina Bay, which will also house the pit lanes and race paddock

- Long, four-lane straight leading into a two-lane hairpin at the end of Esplanade Bridge.

- Raffles Avenue four-lane straight measuring 700 metres, which will allow cars to go beyond 300km/hr

- Local landmarks that could feature in the course include the Esplanade, Merlion, Padang, Raffles Hotel, and Suntec Convention Centre, the Fountain of Wealth, and Raffles Hotel

- VIP suites located at the Swissotel and other hotels along the race strip, affording commanding aerial views to those with deep pockets on race day

Source: http://motoring.asiaone.com.sg/news/20070117_002.html

If we had done it right, the place where the Laguna Country Club is would have been our F1 circuit. Well, our government then sold that plot of land to the highest bidder. I think we have far too many golf clubs around. They should have better foresight. Anyway, if we secure the right to host it this time, and a night street circuit, I won't complain. It is better late than never.

F1 in Singapore: Almost there

By Julian Lim - 17 Jan, 2007
AsiaOne

Fernando Alonso brakes late to overtake Ralf Schumacher at the Fullerton hairpin, Felipe Massa and Kimi Räikkönen thunder down the St Andrew's straight at 300km/hr. Is this for real?

Maybe.

If one of two local magnates manages to wrangle his way to a deal with the powers that be, a warm-up, pre-cursor race to full-blown F1 madness could be coming to Singapore as early as August this year, if preliminary reports are to believed.

Property tycoon, Mr Ong Beng Seng and SUTL Group's managing director, Mr Arthur Tay, are engaged in a race of their own to win a contract with Formula One Management, as well as convince the local authorities of their plans.

Insiders have Mr Ong as the odds-on favourite based on his connections with F1 mogul, Bernie Ecclestone.

Leading F1 circuit designer, Mr Hermann Tilke, has already made the trip to Singapore to draft out what the eventual course could look like. According to reports in The Straits Times, the 51-year-old German promises "high speeds, tight cornering, and an exciting spectacle for spectators and drivers alike."

His design portfolio boasts the likes of the F1 speedways in Malaysia (Sepang International Circuit), Bahrain (Bahrain International Circuit), China (Shanghai International Circuit) and Turkey (Istanbul Park). Come 2010, it will also include South Korea's new circuit.

The concept of Formula 1 street racing brings to mind the scenic, but narrow Monaco course which measures 3.34km, shorter than the proposed 5km circuit Mr Tilke would like for Singapore.

When asked for a comparison between Monaco and the possible Singapore circuit, The Straits Times quoted Mr Tilke as saying that Singapore's would be a more "modern" course, but cautioned against further comparisons as "it's not fair to compare circuits because each race has its own character and personality."

And another possible "Uniquely Singapore" element to the race to be found nowhere else on the F1 calendar: Night racing

This would reduce the need for traffic disruptions within the vicinity of the circuit (i.e. the Central Business District). Better alert the traffic wardens though, lest they book any of the F1 drivers for bus lane infringements.

Other potential race highlights

- Start and finish lines on a floating platform to be constucted at Marina Bay, which will also house the pit lanes and race paddock

- Long, four-lane straight leading into a two-lane hairpin at the end of Esplanade Bridge.

- Raffles Avenue four-lane straight measuring 700 metres, which will allow cars to go beyond 300km/hr

- Local landmarks that could feature in the course include the Esplanade, Merlion, Padang, Raffles Hotel, and Suntec Convention Centre, the Fountain of Wealth, and Raffles Hotel

- VIP suites located at the Swissotel and other hotels along the race strip, affording commanding aerial views to those with deep pockets on race day

Source: http://motoring.asiaone.com.sg/news/20070117_002.html

Let's rev the engines.

just wondering... if a car zooms past ERP gantry at 300km/hr, will driver kanna ERP (when in operation of course)?
Maybe Williams can put a ERP unit in the car to test out :bsmilie:

prefer day race than nite

I think if held at night, lots of camera flashes will distract drivers and even result in crashes :think:

hmm...gd gd!! i c f1 since the toubo engine day....honda rule then

go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! need for speed. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

night race how to shoot? :dunno: prepare for black bg with lots of motion blur.

Status
Not open for further replies.