Formula 1 - McLaren caught in Ferrari spy row!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

afbug

Aug 19, 2004
Planet SG™
McLaren caught in Ferrari spy row

McLaren are embroiled in a spying row following claims one of their leading staff illegally received information from arch-rivals Ferrari.

McLaren suspended a "senior member" of their design team after learning he had "personally received technical information from a Ferrari employee".

The man in question is understood to be chief designer Mike Coughlan. :bigeyes:

McLaren said on Wednesday that no other employee had access to the information and that the team had not benefited.

Coughlan was suspended after Ferrari sacked former team manager Nigel Stepney following an internal investigation.

Ferrari believe Stepney stole parts and gave technical information to rivals.

Italian police are investigating Stepney after Ferrari filed a formal complaint with the Modena district attorney, although no charges have been brought.

This is a real bummer. Just when I thought there'd be a showdown this season.
If McLaren gets disqualified becos of this, it's gonna be a boring one-(prancing)horse race.

Yeah I don't think anything will happen to the team. It is the individual brillance of Hamilton that is winning him lots of points, and of course Alonso is still whining his way through too. And I still feel that Ferrari will win the championship:thumbsup:

FERRARI!!!

Disappointed! But never mind Ferrari will be back!!!

GO FERRARI!!!

Well, this might seem to be what they call "misplaced overzealous patriotism" on the part of Stepeny and Coughlan. Guess it's been that long since the Brits dominated the sport.

I hope the incident ends without tainting the sport any further. All we fans want to see is the teams competing at their best, with equally fine-tuned drivers driving on their very edge. Now that's F1.

I dun think McLaren will be punished for this. They denied all wrong doings and put all the blame on their engineer. Ferrari also din accuse McLaren but put all the blame and sacked its engineer.

It seems like only the 2 guys are involved at the moment.

Canon will start learning from this lesson and get someone to buy info from Nikon design staff... LOL... and SE and Nokia... and so on... what the world becoming?

FIA charges McLaren! :bigeyes:

McLaren have been summoned by Formula One's governing body, the FIA, to face charges of breaking the sport's rules.
The team are embroiled in a spying row following claims their chief designer Mike Coughlan illegally received information from rivals Ferrari.

McLaren face charges at a 26 July hearing of "unauthorised possession of documents and confidential information belonging to Ferrari".

Coughlan has already agreed to tell Ferrari how he got hold of the data.

Following an internal investigation, the FIA has called McLaren to answer charges of breaching Article 151c of the International Sporting Code.

That rule relates to "any fraudulent conduct, or any act prejudicial to the interests of any competition, or to the interests of motor sport generally".

In a statement the FIA said the information "could be used to design, engineer, build, check, test, develop and/or run a 2007 Ferrari Formula One car." :bigeyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6295410.stm

hoo hoo. take away all the victories from McLaren. Give them to Ferrari. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Ban McLaren from racing this year. Let Ferrari win all the races. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Just when I thought this is one sport that isn't 'fixed' ...

Toyota Team Europe, Toyota's factory rally team, was caught for cheating on turbocharger restrictor plates and were stripped of points and banned the next year from taking part.

Just an indication of how hard the FIA can whack, although I think F1 teams particularly the top running ones (and their sponsors) wield a lot more clout.

This is worrying. FIA have now officially charged Team McLaren. Wonder how the outcome is going to be...

Canon will start learning from this lesson and get someone to buy info from Nikon design staff... LOL... and SE and Nokia... and so on... what the world becoming?

why do canon need to learn from this lesson and get someone to buy info from nikon design when there own design is already so much better...

bottom line = do anything to will give you the edge over your rivals, but please, dont get caught.

if McLaren is really guilty in this, then the fair treatment would be to strip them off their points earned so far (drivers and constructor). and allow them to continue with the remaining part of the season. i think this penalty would be just as devastating to the team. banning them for the rest of the season would not do good to the sport.

hmmm... no wonder McLaren performed so well this season.

taken from the Planet-F1 website...

McLaren could face expulsion from this year's Championship if found guilty of espionage by the FIA.

With the Woking's fate hanging in the balance following Thursday's announcement that the FIA had charged them in the ongoing 'spy' scandal, reports of possible punishments facing the team do not make for comfortable reading if you are a McLaren supporter - or driver.

'McLaren may face expulsion from this year's Formula One World Championship, destroying Lewis Hamilton's title challenge, if they are found guilty of industrial espionage,' claims The Guardian.

As much I wish to see Ferrari on top, I still hope that Mclaren will not be penalised, especially with the brillant Hamilton. I want to see Ferrari beat Mclaren and Hamilton without any outside help, even if Mclaren is found to have benefited from the espionage. Maybe just a heavy fine will do.

why do canon need to learn from this lesson and get someone to buy info from nikon design when there own design is already so much better...

PERRRRRRFECT :thumbsup:

Now let this thread go into a Canon vs Nikon war :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

if McLaren is really guilty in this, then the fair treatment would be to strip them off their points earned so far (drivers and constructor). and allow them to continue with the remaining part of the season. i think this penalty would be just as devastating to the team. banning them for the rest of the season would not do good to the sport.

hmmm... no wonder McLaren performed so well this season.

Bro,
not really sure how much McLaren benefited from this espionage. i suppose we do have to give credit to them that they performed quite well. ok lah, maybe they copied some design, they might not have made a totally fake ferrari, yeah ? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
And if they really made a fake ferrari, then it shows that the fake is better than the original :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
ok, its friday evening. i am going bonkers.

have a good weekend, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.