Formula 1 grand prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all, anyone thinkin of going up this year? i'd like to go, but i have never been there, so i have no clue of where is a good place to take shots of the race... well, if anyone is interested in going up... let me know :)

im going up to sepang with my father and brother, will definatly be brining cam and getting close to the action! i guess the best spots will be on corners and straights and apparently sepang never really that busy on practice days so can get some gd action shots then

reefonline said:
hi all, anyone thinkin of going up this year? i'd like to go, but i have never been there, so i have no clue of where is a good place to take shots of the race... well, if anyone is interested in going up... let me know :)

I'm also planning to go Sepang. Anybody else interested?

Peter_Tee said:
I also consider going there... Any idea what zoom is enough? Is 200mm enough or should it be longer?

nikkor 70-200 f2.8vr + nikkor 2x teleconverter :thumbsup:

BBB MTL!

Hope to go to watch, but no telezooms..at most 135 X 1.6..how to shoot?

best place to catch all the action is at K1 grandstand. it's the first corner after the straight. bound to have crashes there.

the straights are not a good place to shoot cars unless your panning skills are damn good. else, you can shoot the pit action.

i was at K2 hillstand and used a 200mm lens. on a 4R print-out, the size of the car is around 1.5 inches.

mohgui said:
best place to catch all the action is at K1 grandstand. it's the first corner after the straight. bound to have crashes there.

the straights are not a good place to shoot cars unless your panning skills are damn good. else, you can shoot the pit action.

i was at K2 hillstand and used a 200mm lens. on a 4R print-out, the size of the car is around 1.5 inches.

thanks for the infor, i take it a 70-300 f/5.6 will survice from the K1 stand?

or i might just rent a 70-200Vr with 1.7 TC or the 80-400VR, hmmm sorry for the OT, which would you recomend for this type of photography? im thinking the 80-400 will be smaller and lighter and the quality will be pretty similiar but then can take the TC of the 70-200 and get fantastic bokeh

mohgui said:

C2 will be another cheapo alternative of K1. Been there last year and no issue getting picture with 200mm. (K1 price is > 300 SGD while C2 (hill stand) is ard 70 SGD)

03_IMG_0230_edited.jpg

-crop version-

03_IMG_0230.sized.jpg

-uncrop version-

wildstallion said:
thanks for the infor, i take it a 70-300 f/5.6 will survice from the K1 stand?

or i might just rent a 70-200Vr with 1.7 TC or the 80-400VR, hmmm sorry for the OT, which would you recomend for this type of photography? im thinking the 80-400 will be smaller and lighter and the quality will be pretty similiar but then can take the TC of the 70-200 and get fantastic bokeh

seriously, if you can get your hands on the 70-200 VR, you will not regret it. think someone has pointed out, K1 stand is rather expensive compared to the surrounding hillstands like the neighbouring K2.

if you are at K2, you can catch the cars coming out of a very slow corner. if you have the moolah, then get the paddock pass ;)

bangkuangz said:
C2 will be another cheapo alternative of K1. Been there last year and no issue getting picture with 200mm. (K1 price is > 300 SGD while C2 (hill stand) is ard 70 SGD)

03_IMG_0230_edited.jpg

wah... Barichello and Alonso slugging it out :thumbsup:

C2 is good place for seating. Covers two parallel straights, one corner and one chicane. Ticket price around 80$. Watch out for the sun, it can get really hot. Try to go early and set up your position under one of the shades. You can then move around the hill to take photographs. Its a long day and you will get to shoot everything from vintage cars to a concert at the end.

I used a D70+ Sigma 70-300mm Results were decent enough. Trick is to use manual focus with this lens.

Here is a sample shot:
99931859_d22a502df5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.