Former Court House

ikelvin

Feb 18, 2010
Tamah Jurong
Hi all,

Taken this with my frds about 2 weeks ago...
Somehow it really catches my attention among the rest i took that day.

_MG_0504.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Exposure, Details, Overall, etcs

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
hmmm, Inform those that this the former court house :D

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
took together with frds, weather quite good however the sky seems to glow red. Reason
unknow.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
To me the building shadow is not bad, however the building at the left and right should be remove .

I love landscape critiquing. Since it's so easy to get things wrong.

The exposure and details of the image is fine. The use of the starlight filter is a superb touch. However, the image just plainly does not work. The reason is simple: composition, composition, composition.

What's wrong with the composition? Firstly, since your intention is to inform the others about the former parliament house, you want to portray the parliament house. As you have mentioned yourself, the inclusion of the capitol building and the building at the background (that's the subordinate court right?) as well as the edge of the City Hall, should not be included. The lamp-post in the foreground would ordinarily be fine. But in this case, since it carries a banner, it is likewise a mighty distraction.

If I were to make a drastic change in the picture, I would keep the dimension of the image, and just overburn the stray elements, until they become dull enough to not be distracting. If not, even a healing brush to edit away those elements would work too.

The 2 security guards sitting at the side are kinda distracting too. But they are really minor compared to the rest. And in fact, if they were actually doing something (rather than sitting around), the image may actually be enhanced.

Good attempt, though I wished you could have shoot closer, show more of the left side of the building and leave the two security guards near the bottom right corner out. Is it just me or the dome is tilting backwards?

Sorry, there are corrections required here,

the main subject is actually previous Supreme Court and not Parliament house. The UFO shape building is the now ( new ) Supreme court,designed by Norman Foster, and next to the guard house is the City Hall building.

old Parliament house is now Asian Civilisation Museum. New Parliament is the building facing High Street Centre.

Should have shoot it during the twilight hour.
Those silhouetted spot light also not too good.

Agreed that the Capitaland signage ( at the extreme left ) shouldn't be included.

Last edited: