Formatting a USB 40GB HDD to FAT32

Status
Not open for further replies.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Hi folks,

having a bit of a problem here. I'm trying to get a portable 40GB HDD going, but I can't seem to format it into FAT32, it can only go max 32GB.

Trying to format under XP and 2K, but to no avail, anybody knows how to over come it? :dunno:

Hi ESPN,
I am not good with IT....this is what I did.

I mounted the hd to my laptop hd bay....then insert a copy of Windows98 setup disk....there I went. Formatted to FAT32.

Give it a try...and good luck :thumbsup:

Try using win98 to format.

Win2000 and Xp cannot format a partition larger than 32GB for Fat32.

i wonder if you can use fdisk to format using FAT32 beyond 32GB.

IIRC, Windows XP has a 32GB limit when you format in FAT32. This limitation does not exist when you use the NTFS file system. This sounds crazy, but it's true.

I suggest you reformat your whole HDD under NTFS if you want to use all the 40GB.

If you insist on FAT32, you are limited to a maximum of 32GB which does not let you use the whole capacity of the HDD!

In other words, use NTFS where you can.

Hope this helps. :)

Hi guys,

Benign: That's what I wanted to do too, seems like it's feasible :)

Kei: Yep, that's why I'm trying to see if I can overcome it, funny how come Win98 can and not the NT OSes, sigh.

mervlam: Fdisk only creates partition, IIRC, it can allocate the space but the OS must be able to format it.

Carllim: Yeah, just realised it also, I'm bent on using FAT32 for my portables, at home even only 2-4 paritions are on NTFS, the rest are on FAT32, habit perhaps. It's weird XP and 2K behave as such. Blardy M$.

Drudkh: That's feasible, but trying to avoid it ;p

Kegler: Nope... not using PM, using Computer Management now :bsmilie:

Thank you guys for the valuable input :)

espn said:
Hi guys,

Benign: That's what I wanted to do too, seems like it's feasible :)

Kei: Yep, that's why I'm trying to see if I can overcome it, funny how come Win98 can and not the NT OSes, sigh.

mervlam: Fdisk only creates partition, IIRC, it can allocate the space but the OS must be able to format it.

Carllim: Yeah, just realised it also, I'm bent on using FAT32 for my portables, at home even only 2-4 paritions are on NTFS, the rest are on FAT32, habit perhaps. It's weird XP and 2K behave as such. Blardy M$.

Drudkh: That's feasible, but trying to avoid it ;p

Kegler: Nope... not using PM, using Computer Management now :bsmilie:

Thank you guys for the valuable input :)

looks like i'm out of business for quite some time. need refreshers for basic stuff

Download the Win98 boot disk, boot with the boot disk and use FDisk to partition, Format to format... dunno it works or not...

WinXP dun format Fat32 more than 32GB?... but does it support? let's say u have a 40GB Fat32 already formatted, can it still read/write?... mebbe ESPN can try out and let us know... :D

If you partition it and format, yes, Win2K and XP can detect the full size. Right now I'm running 200GB off WinXP.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/core/fncc_fil_tvjq.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

Summary:

Both Win2K & WinXP have 32GB limits built into the format utility - therefore you can create a FAT32 volume up to max size 32GB only. However, both are able to read from and write to larger volumes formatted by other operating systems.

Win98 is able to format a FAT32 volume up to 127.53GB in size.

espn said:
If you partition it and format, yes, Win2K and XP can detect the full size. Right now I'm running 200GB off WinXP.
Then there's ur ticket... boot up with the downloaded Win98 boot disk and do the rest from there to your portable 40GB HDD... n u'll get 40GB full... :D

Yep, got my portable HDD working now, thanks guys!! :)

Wow, thanks jykw. :)

Now have a minor problem, when copying large chunks of data like 4-5GB, within a few minutes, the copying will just halt there, the files will not move anymore :( any idea why?

4 to 5Gb? you lucky Already ley.....after I formatted.

The copying will even hanged on just 60megs for so many times till I defragmented, scanned for errors, virus.....

Then the same problem recurring the next day/time when I try using it..... :mad2:

Is tis the final nail to XdriveII? :dunno:
Coz I am really fed up with it

I never encountered the batch copying problem with X-Drive II.

I was referring to my new portable HDD. I didn't even get 4-5GB copied, what I meant was I tried to, but like you after a few megs it will stop there.. :(

Size limit per file for FAT32 is 2GB. Encountered this when editing video from DVcam. Max quality abt 30mins only, then the program will create a new file to continue.

MoriMori said:
Size limit per file for FAT32 is 2GB. Encountered this when editing video from DVcam. Max quality abt 30mins only, then the program will create a new file to continue.

im not sure if your case is related to espn's...it should be a setting on ur video editing capture program :think: . im not sure about espn's HD enclosure brand but i previously purchased a cheapo (no brand) usb 2.0 enclosure and i encountered a lot of different problem on data integrity. Now I purchased a new enclosure (Cutie DX, Korean brand...arnd $60) and everything is okay. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.