Format SD card via computer or camera ? Any difference ?

rickosw

Apr 15, 2009
Hi Guys,

Just wondering after copying the pic files onto the computer, to free up the memony, should i " QUICK FORMAT" the SD card or should I use the camera in processing to clear the files?

Are there any differences? which is the "correct way" to ensure my SD card can last longer?

Cheers!

Always format in camera as camera data is made ready for the card to accept new images when formatting is done. Also images easier to recover on card if need to after accidental deleting or formatting. This is best way to ensure life span of memory card.

If I am not wrong, there is a little bit more than just formatting.
The formatting done in camera will be better as it "spec" it to it.
I don't have any solid info now, you can try google it to see if the above statement is right.

I don't think camera spec anything on the card. It just pre-create all those folders and metadata files which are required for the camera to store information. If those files and folders do not exist, the camera firmware will create them. There is really not much performance you can gain from format in the camera or pc. But if you find formatting in the PC doesn't allow the camera to store and failed to work properly. It's better to just let the camera do it because after all, it's requirement of the device to set the environment suitable for itself.

Unlike PC format where there are option to test blocks on hard disk or magnetic devices, flash devices requires no block examination. It's damaging for flash medium have much lower erase cycle than magnetic medium. I bet camera just perform file allocation table update on the device to so call format the medium. It doesn't touch every block of data space to ensure erasure. It's a waste of time to perform such act. Camera is not a security device to offer wipe functionality.

If I am not wrong, there is a little bit more than just formatting.
The formatting done in camera will be better as it "spec" it to it.
I don't have any solid info now, you can try google it to see if the above statement is right.

whoa so cheem....the thot nvr crossed my mind...to me its like deciding between whether putting coins in ur left or right pocket...