Format old Hard Disk ... some queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhV

Jun 10, 2004
Northland
alright..I have already done a search in the forum...found some related threads but not exactly what I am facing :(

What happened to me ? I opened an 'innocent' file and a virus replicated so quickly that it 'killed' my windows and all related applications. Basically, as long as it is MS-related, it will not work....I guess the virus-author really hate Bill :bsmilie:

Anyway, I have only ONE option, right ? FORMAT the Hard Disk to kill the 'sucker'

My queries :

(1) Since my computer is already infected, can I create a BOOT DISK on another PC - running a later OS e.g. Windows ME, Windows 2000 ....etc.

(2) With this newly created BOOT DISK, I should be able to bring up the COMMAND PROMPT to execute the FORMAT command ? Any issue of incompatibility ? I mean I have created it using another OS :think:

(3) I will be re-installing WINDOWS 98, second edition ..... no choice, lo ...old PC ....manufactured in YEAR 1998 ( Pentium II ;) ) Or can it take a better OS ???

(4) If I execute a 'FORMAT C:'...any other parameters required ? e.g. format c: /s I want to ensure I kill the 'sucker' ... I mean virus

(5) How do I know 'FORMAT C:' is the "C Drive" in my windows application ? FYI, I have backup all my data into a D Drive. So, I cant afford to FORMAT the WRONG harddisk :sweat:

Any expert advice would be appreciated.....TIA !!!!

1) yes u can

2) boot disk for win 98 can be only use for win 98 ... like wise for win 2000

3) use back win 98 will be the best ... do not use win ME as it is a crappy OS.

4) I would recommend a fdisk to delete partition and recreate it ... followed by the format C: to clear everything ... no need to use other parameters

5) r u using 2 HD or 1 HD with 2 partitions ?
i guess u are using 1hd with 2 partitions ...

go type this in the command prompt ... C: enter ... then dir/w ... check is this the main windows file ... if it is .. then u can confirm that C: is windows and u can do a format C:

haa ... hope it helps =) my turn to return u the favour lolz ...

How many hard disks do you have?
2 hard disk? 1 for c: and 1 for d:?
1 hard disk with 2 partition?

Make sure you create the boot disk from a non infected PC. Best would be MS-DOS 6.x boot disk with format and fdisk in it.

thanks guys ...... from your replies, I guess my BIGGEST problem is where can i get hold of a BOOT disk now. Dennis said I need to get a WIN 98 one to bring up the command prompt. How ? My PC is already affected with the KNS virus...logically, if I attempt to create one now, it will replicate itself on the floppy ? Correct me if I am wrong ..... :confused:

That's why I was asking if I create a CLEAN BOOT DISK from a CLEAN system running a later OS e.g. WINDOWS 2000, WINDOWS XP ....does it matter ? will it affect my OLD PC ?

Yes, I have 2 harddisks.... if they were partitions, I 'Hum' liao

All advice would be appreciatee .....cheers, dudes !:)

dennislim said:
1) yes u can

2) boot disk for win 98 can be only use for win 98 ... like wise for win 2000

3) use back win 98 will be the best ... do not use win ME as it is a crappy OS.

4) I would recommend a fdisk to delete partition and recreate it ... followed by the format C: to clear everything ... no need to use other parameters

5) r u using 2 HD or 1 HD with 2 partitions ?
i guess u are using 1hd with 2 partitions ...

go type this in the command prompt ... C: enter ... then dir/w ... check is this the main windows file ... if it is .. then u can confirm that C: is windows and u can do a format C:

haa ... hope it helps =) my turn to return u the favour lolz ...
I guess Dennis has already answered most of your query except for point 2. You can use Win 98 boot diskette to boot up any machine. It doesn't matter because you are loading DOS from floppy after cmos check.

AhV said:
thanks guys ...... from your replies, I guess my BIGGEST problem is where can i get hold of a BOOT disk now. Dennis said I need to get a WIN 98 one to bring up the command prompt. How ? My PC is already affected with the KNS virus...logically, if I attempt to create one now, it will replicate itself on the floppy ? Correct me if I am wrong ..... :confused:

That's why I was asking if I create a CLEAN BOOT DISK from a CLEAN system running a later OS e.g. WINDOWS 2000, WINDOWS XP ....does it matter ? will it affect my OLD PC ?

Yes, I have 2 harddisks.... if they were partitions, I 'Hum' liao

All advice would be appreciatee .....cheers, dudes !:)

Do you have C: and D: drive only?
Do you have a bootable Windows 2000 or Windows XP CD (Any version)? You can boot up your PC with the CD and format your drive. You do not not necessary need a boot disk.

Drudkh said:

wow .... :bigeyes: Thanks ,dude..... the site is flooded with good stuffs....guess I should only need ONE item...just got to find out which one ;p

Bro,

Good luck on restoring you PC. hope you did not lose any precious photos.....;)

If ur PC is a P2-350 Mhz above with 128MB or more, u can try using Win2K. Tested before was pretty ok except its slightly slower then running Win98 of coz.

;)

Petf69 said:
Bro,

Good luck on restoring you PC. hope you did not lose any precious photos.....;)

haiii...talked about losing photos :cry: .....lost one harddisk of images the other time.....on the same PC..... my D Drive is the replacement Hard Disk .... the earlier one was too expensive to restore ....:bheart:

yes...stooopid virus too..replicated itself so quickly...I din not even have the time to power down the PC

ozora said:
If ur PC is a P2-350 Mhz above with 128MB or more, u can try using Win2K. Tested before was pretty ok except its slightly slower then running Win98 of coz.

;)

i ve 512K RAM ...max liao

thanks for the info

1) Is Windows able to load?

2) R u able to identify e virus description?

3) Y do u need to format ur hardisk? (Diz shud only b ur final resort)

hazta said:
1) Is Windows able to load?

2) R u able to identify e virus description?

3) Y do u need to format ur hardisk? (Diz shud only b ur final resort)

huh ? u ve a better solution.... windows can still boot up but slow as there are a lot of NEW processes running in the memory...I suspect its the VIRUS

Any WINDOWS applications will not be executable ..... :(

So, other than FORMAT to kill the "THING"..what other option do I have ? I cant remember the name of the VIRUS liao :sweat:

Phew... Guess there's no other choice but to format coz u dunno e virus name. :cry:

But remember u hav to do a clean format s mentioned by dennislim. Dat fdisk is a must.

if ur infected PC has a CDROM, you can try setting the BIOS to boot from the CDROM as the first boot device, and pop in a bootable OS installer CD and work from there.

in win98, the bootup menu shd have a few options like boot with CD support. once at the C:\> prompt, go look for ur CDROM drive and there shd be some DOS .exe or .com files in the Win98 folder files and start formatting the drive as, "format c: /u /q /s" where /u is Unconditional (non-recoverable) format, /q is Quick format and /s is transfer System files. repeat for other logical drives in that HDD but w/o the "/s" switch.

then you shd have a fresh HDD....

or u can try the following method:

1. type msconfig in Run(startmenu)
2. under the startup tab there are the list of processes that are executed when the com startup
3. if u know which of the processes shouldnt be there, uncheck it.
4. at the next startup the following processes that u uncheck should nt be executed while startup

In order to avoid formatting in the 1st place, the below can be done 1st:

a. Download "stinger.exe" from McAfee's website. http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stng259.exe

b. Boot Windows 98 into safe mode. This way, most virus will not load in resident memory.

c. Scan the entire PC with Stinger. Go into the Windows Startup registry and remove the unwanted lines while scanning for viruses.

d. Once scan is done, reboot and immediately reinstall or update ur A/V software.

e. Install a anti-spyware (Pest Patrol seems to be quite good) as well.

Hopefully this will save you. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.