Format Memory Card before use

dougs

Jun 7, 2010
Does anyone format the memory card before a fresh use? Eg. Going on a holiday, deleted/transferred all your photos from the existing memory card, and before using it, format it within the camera first?

Does anyone format the memory card before a fresh use? Eg. Going on a holiday, deleted/transferred all your photos from the existing memory card, and before using it, format it within the camera first?

Yep, I always format in camera after transferring the photos into my com.

yes, I always format the card using the camera before a important shoot (either overseas shoot or paid shoot)

It's a good habit to do this. You can also perform a full Format with your computer (un-tick the 'Quick Format' option) from time to time to check the media itself as well. Many problems reported here in the forum could have been avoided by a simple formatting in the camera.

I do that fairly regularly. It is a convenient way to remove all photos in the card.

You know, I know a lot of that take photos and just leave them in the memory card without deleting any of them or transferring them out. Only when shot till card full (like 8000 over jpegs) then they panic, and shoot one delete one... -_-"

When I ask why don't format the card they complain haven't transfer, when I ask why don't transfer, they say no time..... -_-""

I think it's good to make it into a routine. After each shoot, just transfer the photos to your computer, then do a format of the memory card.

You don't need to spend time thinking whether you've already transferred those photos from xxx years ago, worry about the lack of space in your card, switch between 'used' and 'unused' SD cards or just about anything else.

I have a 16GB card that holds about 2.1k JPEGs, but after each shoot, even if I only take 10 photos, I still transfer, format, and leave the camera in a 'fresh' state, ready for the next shoot. :)

I don't know why it's a good habit to format card after each transfer. That would reduce card's life. Or is there another reason to check whether card is still ingood condition?

playhard said:
I don't know why it's a good habit to format card after each transfer. That would reduce card's life. Or is there another reason to check whether card is still ingood condition?

Every write will expend the life cycle of the flash, so don't worry too much. Quick format merely reconstruct the directory structure, it will require much less writes to the medium versus delete a not trival number of images.

Full format will perform read write on every cell which is slow and does eat up the write cycles of each flash device, so you can do it once in awhile, doesn't need to be often since it is pretty time consuming too

Have a look at the write ratings for the flash memory media. Most people will not come anywhere close to that but rather get the next cards for upgrading capacity, speed or new card type ... The discussion is quite similar to shutter count for cameras.
Another reason is: cards use FAT32 file systems. The older ones will remember the horrible issues that Win9x, ME and W2k had when using this file system type: corrupted files after crashes, fragmented files and other things. FAT32 is not a reliable file system, especially when used for longer period without in-depth checks. Since the cameras do not perform any checks is best to format the card to create new and consistent file system structure.

I always format my memory card after I transferred all my photo from m. Card to computer.

Thanks for sharing guys :thumbsup:

Oh. Oops. Thanks for info

Hi. I think there is another consideration that's not yet been mentioned regarding formatting the memory card before fresh use. That is, to remove any risk of virus infecting the card when transferring images to PC. When we transfer the images to PC, it is common that we also browse the images on the card before and during doing the transfer. If your PC is infected with any virus, which had not been safely cleaned by an antivirus program (some ppl do not regularly update their antivirus databases even), then the virus in PC may infect the card which is then inserted into camera.

Just sharing my view.

always format before i shoot..habitual liao

Wow, a lot of insightful tips. I think I will try to incorporate that in my routine from now on.

same lol. i heard formatting your memory card is like defragging your hard drive. it frees up the card and keeps it healthy. oh and i never keep photos in my card for multiple shoots.

Yeah.Its a good housekeeping practise.To add on,format a brand new memory card is also essential to prevent any file corruption in future. :)

Hi,

May friend says it's not good to format the SD card with your computer but instead should format with the camera itself since formatting with computer can create some formatting errors.
Any suggestion?

May friend says it's not good to format the SD card with your computer but instead should format with the camera itself since formatting with computer can create some formatting errors.
Any suggestion?
Yes, suggest your friend to read up a bit about the the topic before making such recommendations. There is no difference between the formatting in computer and in the camera, it's FAT file system all the way. Depending on the size of the card it will be FAT16 (up to 2GB) and FAT32 (anything larger).
Memory cards are not specific for cameras, one can still use them as simple and small external drive for any computer and usage.