Format HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VR2

Dec 17, 2005
AMK
hi,
dis may sound stupid, but i stil hav to ask. cos i hav tried b4 but screw up everyting.
1) how do u properly format a hard drive?

2) by formatting C:\ will it affect all my other drive. (eg.D:\, E:\). and can i install XP back to C:\ again and having other drive intact?

3) im using AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+, 1.94Ghz, 512mb ram, izzit possible to add another 512 mb ram to make multi tasking faster? cos my fren mention to me dat some only support up to 512mb ram max?

4) when i play Cuonter-Strike, my com suddenly hangs. izzit due to graphic card got prob? cos when i use a mini fan to blow my CPU it run smooth.

thx in advance for all the computer pro out there to help. :)

1) I would go to computer management under administrative tools in control panel and right click on the disk to format, else I would use the Win2K/XP disc to format the disk.

2) Yes

3) Yes, I'm using 512 x 2 now, hopefully can add another 2 x 1GB soon.

4) CPU overheat maybe, mine hangs when I try to play video files, but since it's not important I never bother to fix my AMD machine, probably some drivers or what.

1. You cannot format C: while running the OS, you can only format using bootdisk or the Installation CD, or slave the HD to another PC.

Make sure you format the correct partition and you will be safe.

2. Yes, you can reinstall the XP back to the C: and have other drive intact.

3. It depens, I suggest you read you motherboard manual. My old Compaq presario(P3) can accept maximum 512MB SDRAM.....but my newer rigs all can take up to 4GB.

4. As what ESPN said, it should be the CPU overheating....invest in good CPU cooler :)

espn: thx for yr fast reply. ;)

Big Kahuna: is e disc use to install Win XP consider a boot disc? cos i hav tried using it and it cause me installing another WinXP into my C:\ (2 WinXP OS in 1 drive) unable to format old C:\. or izzit im doin the wrg steps?

VR2 said:
espn: thx for yr fast reply. ;)

Big Kahuna: is e disc use to install Win XP consider a boot disc? cos i hav tried using it and it cause me installing another WinXP into my C:\ (2 WinXP OS in 1 drive) unable to format old C:\. or izzit im doin the wrg steps?

Since you are able to install the the WinXP twice...that means you are nearly there liao (I still worry that you might not know how to configure CDROM as primary boot device)....:lovegrin:

Redo the same thing again, read the step by step instruction on the blue screen...you will come to a screen prompting you to install into which partition.....this time remember to format the primary partition.....then continue installing your OS into there :thumbsup:

* Make sure you know which partition your data is store....if you delete or format the wrong partition...you data might lost:sweat:

hmm.. :think:
i try again when i hav save all my impt data into a disc. scare it might screwed up again. :bsmilie:
thx again and apreciate all thx advise.
i come back again if i hav screw it up. :sweat: (hope not :sweatsm: )

haha.. thx to my stupidity. i lost all my data in my HD (photos and all the ****.)
ARGHH!!! I GONNA KILL MYSELF!!
is there anyway to reteive them back? (i guess it hopless now.. unless time can reverse.)

VR2 said:
haha.. thx to my stupidity. i lost all my data in my HD (photos and all the ****.)
ARGHH!!! I GONNA KILL MYSELF!!
is there anyway to reteive them back? (i guess it hopless now.. unless time can reverse.)
Can ah, as long as you never write any new data to the drive, it's possible to retrieve back. I ever formatted my 20GB XDriveII and recovered back 12GBs of files.

if i formatted the drive and install new WinXP. izzit stil retrieveable?
(everyting look as if u juz bought new drive and install)
i guess dat is really gone case liao rite?

any good data retrival program to introduce?

VR2 said:
if i formatted the drive and install new WinXP. izzit stil retrieveable?
(everyting look as if u juz bought new drive and install)
i guess dat is really gone case liao rite?

ALAMAK!! I thot I saw you say in earlier message you going to backup all your stuff first heheh..

Well whatever space your newly install XP has taken up..well what ever was in that particular space is GONE GONE GONE. But before you try to install other programs..etc. You might as ESPN mention...you could save then still with the right retrieval software but again you do know that by installing this retrieval software, you will lose more stuff to where ever this retrieval software is install in your drive C. So if you can..when you are installing this software, try to install it in your spare drive instead to avoid losing anymore data that might be still there in your C:\ Drive that can still be salvaged.

sammy888 said:
ALAMAK!! I thot I saw you say in earlier message you going to backup all your stuff first heheh..

Well whatever space your newly install XP has taken up..well what ever was in that particular space is GONE GONE GONE. But before you try to install other programs..etc. You might as ESPN mention...you could save then still with the right retrieval software but again you do know that by installing this retrieval software, you will lose more stuff to where ever this retrieval software is install in your drive C. So if you can..when you are installing this software, try to install it in your spare drive instead to avoid losing anymore data that might be still there in your C:\ Drive that can still be salvaged.

i also dunno wats happening to my stupid HD.. it was all ok when Big Kahuna said i salve it to another HD to format. but when i did it to my another HD it show dat no drive was dected. so i disconnect the HD and start as usual wif my old HD. to my surprise the HD become juz lik a new HD w/o anyting in it. OMG.. :bigeyes:
i was lik.. all my photos gone liao.. sooooo v sad.. ARGH!! data lost nvm but my precious photos gone.. haiz..

wat done is done.. now see hu can reccommend me a good file retrival program and see wat stil can be saved.
i used 1 last time but 4got wats the name le.. if any hav 1 plz post the link here.. thx alot..

Status
Not open for further replies.