Forever waiting

Soundaholic

Jan 28, 2010
Ha Noi, Vietnam, Vietnam
waiting_for_you_by_soundaholic_j-d3d0yw3.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
The composition, and how to better convey the mood and emotion I intended

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I hope to show a sense of loneliness and longing for someone. The teddy bear sitting on one side of the swing is supposed to show that it's alone and waiting for someone else

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was missing someone a lot when I took the photo and used the teddy bear to represent myself

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I do like the photo as I think it does give off the feeling of loneliness. Two things I only took notice after I got home and I wish I could have done better is that the right side of the swing is OOF and the right half of the background could have been cleaner with a different angle

A cleaner backgroupnd will indeed help.

Somehow I don't feel the forever waiting or the sadness here. The teddy looks like is enjoying the sun here. A different lighting, say the long shadow of the setting sun, might enhance the mood. Some yellow leaves or a bouquet of wilted flowers on the swing to tell the passage of time. A silhouette to focus on the mood rather than the face of the teddy? Desaturated colour? How about a skeleton with tattered clothes...cliche, I know.

TS, I agree the background could be better...if you could shoot it with some old dead leaves etc to depict time...it could make your theme better...the background seems to green to suggest forever..

Thanks, so the main thing to be improved is the background. And now that I look at it again, it does look like the bear is enjoying itself chilling in the sunlight.... I guess my mood really affected my interpretation of the photo. Would B/W and a lower exposure convey the mood better?

I would have preferred the lighting to be "cooler" as I imagine waiting forever to be "bluer" + "feeling down". You may want to lean the bear against one side and look down? probably that may express abit of loneliness?

Just my $0.02

OH... it's so cute, and vert melancolic ! Good job dude

There's certainly more potential to create a more melancholic feeling out of this picture... however, that'd resort you to edit this photo quite substantially...

Like some commented, perhaps a cooler WB could bring out the .... 'oh.... sad' kind of feelings as well as some lighting adjustments?

In fact, isolating the background more would be able to bring the 'loneliness' feeling from this otherwise nicely composed photo. It can be used for a series too :)