Foreign workers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yappy

May 30, 2004
We have more than half a million foreign workers in Singpore. Without them, our economy will be greatly affected.

The recent issue of housing the workers is a concern.

How and where should we house them?

Let's put all of them in those nice houses along Edinburgh Road. It is just stone throw away from Orchard Road, Little India and Chinatown.

Haha... so like that mah! Their salary is small. You are encouraging them to spend at Orchard Road? Then who pay their rent?

Last edited:
The stigma abt foreigners, though unfounded, will nonetheless affect house value in Serangoon Gardens. While some trust that the foreigners would not cause safety issues, they also trust that prices of their property will be affected. With this fator tipping the scale, its natural that there will be objections.

By housing all the foreign workers in 1 location, you will be causing 1 big massive traffic jam every morning and evening when all the workers all go to work or come back from work at about the same time. Imagine all the buses and lorries jamming up the roads around the city central to pick up workers.

the place is already jammed up by locals for chomp chomp

Hmmmm....I am a foreign worker here in Singapore...can't I choose where I live?

It's such a shame how people generalise here in Singapore. If you are Phillipino, does that automatically make you a maid? If from Bangladesh, a construction site worker? If from UK, a banker?

Open your eyes a little wider please, try to see that foreign workers are humans with feelings. If everyone of them left, this country would be in a big mess.

there are several schools/buildings which have been unused for years. most are structuraly sound and just sitting there losing revenue. why not just renovate them and convert them to smaller dorms for the foreign workers?

wah serangoon gardens will be damn crowded ( it already is). zzz

It's such a shame how people generalise here in Singapore. If you are Phillipino, does that automatically make you a maid? If from Bangladesh, a construction site worker? If from UK, a banker?

Open your eyes a little wider please, try to see that foreign workers are humans with feelings. If everyone of them left, this country would be in a big mess.

Where are you from and what do you work as?

We're refering to foreign blue collar workers (specifically those in the construction industry), and no, I don't think they chose Serangoon Gardens. The government chose it.

No, being Phillipino doesn't make one a maid, and being Bangladeshi doesn't make one a construction worker. But you do realise that people don't just generalise here, its something that happens worldwide. I can't go into specifics because of the CS rules and regulations, but i'm sure you can think of a few countries where it is worse. (hur hur and to OT a bit, you say UK i immediately think, the 3 goons who bullied the old local man)

But I have to agree, Singaporeans generally seem to look down on foreign domestic and construction workers. (and thats a very big IF you've got there, because frankly it'll never come to that as long as Singapore provides job opportunities) Alot Singaporeans have got to learn to appreciate the efforts of foreign workers more.

Last edited:

Can understand how you feel.

Your contribution to the economy is greatly appreciated. Maybe not by some of our people, but be assured that our leaders know the importance of your presence.

It is a win-win situation.

They can sit around and chat. Just like those Filipinos.

You are right. Air is free and they can buy roti from Queenstown and eat them at Orchard.

The built up land cost at Orchard is at $2000 psf or more. The boss who put them here must have a lot of spare cash ...:hung::hung::hung:

hey Yappy,

maybe u should change the title to reflect on the topic more accurately? if its just about the Serangoon dorm issue being explored further. if not a foreign worker in any line of work come in may :rolleyes:.

on the topic, i think our gahmen for too long did not plan how best to intergrat them into urban planning. doing it now seems desperate. an old school is not the best solution, a school was not built to house people. that amount of land the school takes up is too much land for too few people. current HDB apartments these days r built at least 10 storeys high to maximise land yield. :cool:

why not give HDB this task- to build an enclave for them. HDB has been doing this for decades. :think:

Tink e problem with us singaporean is, or at least fm wat i can see fm e serangoon gardens episode is tat, we welcome those foreign workers. they can stay in our homeland for wat they have contributed, u can put them in some other neighbourhood but please not in mine.

Typical rite?

Sometimes we wonder if given choices can we singaporean make unselfish ones. Here e govt are hearing the respond fm the ground n they get tis kinda answer. So now wat happens to these foreign workers? the next neighbourhood tat is being suggested to house them will definitely cite e serangoon gardens affair. So wat' the outcome, they probably b placed at some ulu places where singaporeans dont live or even wanna stay in.

We have more than half a million foreign workers in Singpore. Without them, our economy will be greatly affected.

The recent issue of housing the workers is a concern.

How and where should we house them?

What about Tang Dynasty Village?

I'm sure they don't mind to pose in their free time for some side income: :)

Last edited:

hay, u r rite. got enough land mass, far away from most estates the security walls already there. u betta get some cash reward for that suggestion arh! ;p

go Sion, go! :thumbsup:

I also support the idea. It is deserted and let them make the place alive again!

I'd rather live among foreign workers than Singaporeans any day.

This whole episode just shows how little tolerance Singaporeans have always had. Racially and religiously harmonious? Bah. It's all a sham. Bunch of xenophobic and racist bigots more like it.

It's time to leave this joke of a country.

I have a better idea - The Singapore Zoological Gardens and Night Safari. Lots of land and water around Mandai area.

No need to go Orchard Road. Lots of FREE fresh air. They can sit around with Ah Meng Jr. and share her durians and rambutans. Visitors may even think that our zoo is becoming more 'diverse'.

Do you sit around with Ah Meng Jr and eat her durians and rambutans?

hey Yappy,

maybe u should change the title to reflect on the topic more accurately? if its just about the Serangoon dorm issue being explored further. if not a foreign worker in any line of work come in may :rolleyes:.

on the topic, i think our gahmen for too long did not plan how best to intergrat them into urban planning. doing it now seems desperate. an old school is not the best solution, a school was not built to house people. that amount of land the school takes up is too much land for too few people. current HDB apartments these days r built at least 10 storeys high to maximise land yield. :cool:

why not give HDB this task- to build an enclave for them. HDB has been doing this for decades. :think:

The issue started from Serangoon dorm issue .. but I am looking at the issue in general. Singaporean need to be more tolerant and it is going to stay as they are needed here.
Housing them is a problem and hopefully someone can come with a proposal to help all. We and the authority.

a reminder to everyone

racist jokes are not funny,
you would not like it, if the tables are turned on you
and the jokes are targeted towards your race

please refrain yourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.