Foreign Talent Articles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In summary, this is how I interpret all these foreign talents articles:

1. Singaporeans are useless; we need foreigners to fill up our workforce….
2. Our educational tutors and syllabuses are useless; it’s the students that drive the standard, not the content delivered.

well, so what made them conclude that singaporeans can't lead? and if so, what is it that make singaporeans unable to lead? and what's with interviewing those scholars, i think the average guy can also make the same comment.

then again what can they do but to say yes? if they say no they might probably get something taken away from them

Hoky said:
In summary, this is how I interpret all these foreign talents articles:

2. Our educational tutors and syllabuses are useless; it’s the students that drive the standard, not the content delivered.

cheem, never read & never will read the article unless someone points a gun at me...

anyway, i also got dilemma leh...

i am like 'foreign """TALENT"""' cos i not local, but i studied all the way thru from Pre primary to tertiary education here...

so...

1) If they are useless, than make themselves useful instead of whinning, and its up to individual to excel... if u see 1 lazy singaporeans, then u say singaporean is useless, then its bias, its only that guy... same like u are a tourist, if u happen to get pissed by 1 particular shop, will u say in whole, that country is full of rude ppl? Dun hide behind the country... go beyond... hehe... and dun ask what the country can do for you... do wat you can for the country... (mean time, let others come fill in your gap)

2) Will u know wat u wanna do when like you are Pri 1, maybe i would... i wanna be a professional slacker... ya, maybe i'll get paid just to slack... who doesn't... anyway, just a show of hands... who said they wanna be doctors or lawyers or watever when they are pri 1, then in the end they ended up in another sector totally different... most of you rite... i think most of u dun even know that now u would be in IT, or in Photography...
So u end up learning all the things, fundamentals, then u slowly explore your niche... i do have my fair share against the local 'educators' as they does not let me explore my creativity... they're like robots... but wat to do? u can't have all the good things happening to you always...

Unfortunately, when problems befall a person, he would point his finger elsewhere... blame the society, blame the system, blame the govt, blame PAP for all his woes.

Unfortunately, when problems strike its always easy to forget how to introspect and examine oneself and blame on... his skills, his attitude, his lack of drive, his mindset, his thinking and on a higher plane, his own karma.

When a boss fires his own chap, puts in 'foreign talent'. Most ppl would be quick to blame... the boss, the company, economics, office politics, the govt, PAP, Leeeeeee~~~~.

When asked of the actual reason, typically the answer would come out fast and furious, "Local grads is always inferior to ppl who ate foreign potatoes." and yet, these are usually the same group of people who'd hold the thinking that, "Study until get PhD means that I'm the king of the world liaoz. There's nothing more in the world I need to learn or relearn anymore."

Its always to blame others, but before doing so, introspect a little and blame oneself instead for a change. The field of view would be refreshing and enlightening in bettering one's life and knowledge. :)

firstly let me say that whoever wrote this paper is full of hyperbole...it would be nice to see papers that talk less in metaphors and speak more in concrete terms.

you should note that over 90% of our foreign workers are in the industrial and domestic help sectors...(the last piece of information I got from HOME was about 850,000 construction workers and about 150,000 maids. phew!)

the other foreign workers brought in are mainly in higher end sectors where locals do not have adequate exposure, experience or skillsets compared to certain foreigners.

and I think it is important to bring in foreign talent, certain points mentioned in the arts make complete sense. Bringing in foreign talent from countries with more experience (such as TV actors from Hong Kong or researchers from overseas) are a quick way to speed up Singapore's progress and provide avenues for other Singaporeans to learn from working with them.

Regarding the point in the other paper where it is said that Singaporeans lack the creativity and are followers, a big part of this is due to the way society and education is structured in Singapore. There is no doubt that the proportion of "creative" people outside of Singapore is much higher, a lot of foreigners I've met are much more proactive and less complacent than Singaporeans. So it is a price we have to pay, we've managed to build up a very orderly country full of capable people who have a certain competency but lack certain extra ingredients that allow them to excel on a global scale.

mainly, looks like you should be worried only if you are in a high end job or a low end job.
So I don't see it as such a bad thing. The important thing is to analyze what led our country to this stage where we can't rely enough on our own citizens.

Hiee ...

Well...i think ...there is nothing wrong with having foreign talents....
its a matter of where we are and when....

We may not have knowledge that foreighn talents have - knowlegde /skillsets....
and these foreign talents are may be here to do athe job while at the same time enable a platform for locals to learn and adapt the skillsets.

At times...the "copy and learn"(putting it in laymans term) still applies....dont you think so?
Its how many ppl in our society learn. The foreign talents may leave for greener pastures at the end of the day and hoepfully our local talents are here to take over...

In line with that.....i recently realised that my niece was actually made to reproduce paitings from ppl like van gough in thier syllabus - in sec. sch.

All like the reverse engineering techniques done by many around the world.

With this...learning method - the basic goal is to get new or better replacements for our future society.

So i guess, having foreign talents or depending foreign talents it not that bad after all.
Well...this is my personal views....

I think there's a great danger in doing the "copy and learn" process rather than "try something that may or may not make sense, risk failure or success"

if we copy all the time we'll always be chasing ambulances, one step behind others.the foreign talents we learn from will go on to learn other news things while we are still a few steps behind, using their old experience.

Don't worry. When Singaporean migrate to Australia or USA, they become foreign talent there ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

Having foreign talent is ok, but make sure they're really talents please.

Eh....,

OT a bit: Those foreign worker who clean up the street, build the hdb, can consider as a foreign talent or not :dunno: .

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
Eh....,

OT a bit: Those foreign worker who clean up the street, build the hdb, can consider as foreign talent or not :dunno: .

Regards,
Arto.

Please refer to their passports. They will have either CT (cleaning talent) or BT (building talent) stamped on the pages.

Sion said:
Please refer to their passports. They will have either CT (cleaning talent) or BT (building talent) stamped on the pages.
So they are also foreign talent ah... Government endorse.

Regards,
Arto.

espn said:
Having foreign talent is ok, but make sure they're really talents please.
:thumbsup:
An IT Company Manager give me this question. They put an Ads for a IT person. This person need only have a paper from poly. as the company can pay no more than $1600. People with poly paper is ok with the pay. But 1 person from India come in and said "I will work for $1400 and I have a university paper and has a Microsoft cerf. paper." Now who do you think the manager will give the job to? I do not think that the India guy need to give 20% to CPF and the company do not need to pay CPF too. This will be the foreign talent for the company.

Hoky said:

My employer is hiring and pays quite well. But it is very difficult to find qualified Singaporean job applicants.

Sad to say, it's called competition...

on a mega scale, China is taking out a lot of jobs from other countries. that is mega talent magnet, they have 1 billion people yet still need foreign talent, think about it..

alan1996 said:
:thumbsup:
An IT Company Manager give me this question. They put an Ads for a IT person. This person need only have a paper from poly. as the company can pay no more than $1600. People with poly paper is ok with the pay. But 1 person from India come in and said "I will work for $1400 and I have a university paper and has a Microsoft cerf. paper." Now who do you think the manager will give the job to? I do not think that the India guy need to give 20% to CPF and the company do not need to pay CPF too. This will be the foreign talent for the company.

they may b cheaper, they may hav more impressive qualifications but how r we 2 kno how capable they r? :embrass:

not everything is so easily quantifiable de. :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.