Foreign Domestic Maid

Status
Not open for further replies.

fokker

Dec 31, 2004
Northern Sector
Hi all,

any recommendations as whether to get an Indonesian or Philipino maid. Have to source for one soonest so that to help care for my dad who is a bit senile.

The main decision (generalisation) between the two is the capability to speak English. Filipino generally have better english skills.

We just hired a maid, but one of the others that we were looking at has nursing experience (although not a registerd nurse) and from memory she had very similar experience, i.e. looking after an elderly male, also her references were quite good. PM me if you're interested and I will give you the contact for the agency...

Now u have a small problem with Indonesian maid ..... it's very difficult to get one now with this compulsory test for English. :confused:

Canonised said:
Now u have a small problem with Indonesian maid ..... it's very difficult to get one now with this compulsory test for English. :confused:

Agreed but why do they need to speak English anyway?

jeagga said:
Agreed but why do they need to speak English anyway?
This is the most stupid rule fro MOE. Some families only speak dialects or Malay and yet the rule says all maids must pass the English exam!

the main problem with FDW is the language barrier
if one chicken and one duck then sure to have problems

there are some that can speak simple chinese

From my point of view, it's easier for a Filipino maid to get adjusted here in terms of culture and religion. An Indonesia maid who is Muslim may have certain issues with the availability of pork in a typical Chinese family (and she may have to cook that too). Not being exposed to the Western culture, it will also make it harder for them to adjust.

I do understand that Filipino maids are more expensive though and many of them are graduates. I believe you will have a better working relationship if your maid is well-adjusted so I'd go for Filipinas.

Canonised said:

If dun pass how ah?

I'm also looking for one.

CYRN said:
If dun pass how ah?

I'm also looking for one.

If don't pass cannot get into Singapore lor...I think the general salary for Filipino FDWs are about S$100 more than for Indonesian FDWs so that may be another consideration...

Anyway, an update for those who wish to hire a FDM. You have to attend an E-learning course at this web site

http://esd.sp.edu.sg/fdw

And to register for the course, you need to pay $30 via credit card and attend 8 modules, thereafter attempt those short questions quiz and you need to achieve a minimum 80% to consider a pass. Lastly, print out the Certificate and show it to your maid agency.

Currently, most of the maid agency will only open on 4 Feb 06 (Sat).

fokker said:
Anyway, an update for those who wish to hire a FDM. You have to attend an E-learning course at this web site

http://esd.sp.edu.sg/fdw

And to register for the course, you need to pay $30 via credit card and attend 8 modules, thereafter attempt those short questions quiz and you need to achieve a minimum 80% to consider a pass. Lastly, print out the Certificate and show it to your maid agency.

Currently, most of the maid agency will only open on 4 Feb 06 (Sat).

Only for "new" employers rite? :dunno:

Current employer looking for replacement also must huh? :sweat:

CYRN said:
Only for "new" employers rite? :dunno:

Current employer looking for replacement also must huh? :sweat:

Ya I think only for "new" employers like me. Will update you more when I visit the agency come this Sat.

A Filipino maid will cost more, but she is my choice for domestic work.
  • Filipinos can cook Chinese and Western food better than Indonesians.
  • Filipinos are well-versed in sophisticated home appliances. My previous Indonesian worker screwed-up my Fisher & Paykle washing machine. Luckily, it is still under warranty. Also, she accidentally unplugged my digi-cabi just because she wanted to use the outlet for vacuum cleaner. I wasn't aware of it until several days later (curse and swear!!!!).
  • Filipinos are much better at both verbal and non-verbal communication skills. My previous Indonesian would just stood there like a "kayu".
  • Most importantly, Filipinos can communicate better with children and the elderly.
All-in-all, Filipino maids get my vote.

Filipino or Indonesian..

Think experience is the most important!!

I had quite a number of maids..
(not at one time.. one after another..)

And the best has to be my current Indonesian maid..

She worked in taiwan before, so she knows Chinese!
And her personality is fun!

So its more like a friend at home than a maid.. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.